Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 17, 2024, 9:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do feminists have such a bad reputation?
RE: Why do feminists have such a bad reputation?
(April 23, 2013 at 6:35 am)bladevalant546 Wrote: I believe it has to do with feminism being hijacked by radical misandrists. Also, the supression of Misandry. Personally I do not see a need for feminism. Why not be for equal rights and fight for equality for all mankind? So an equalitist? (I just made that up.) My girlfriend wrote a paper on Misandry and the negative feminism that exists today.

That's absolutely correct. And they accuse anyone who criticises feminism of hating women.

http://exposingfeminism.wordpress.com/shaming-tactics/
No one denies there are misandrists. But equating them with regular feminists, and then also saying that feminists aren't "women" because they don't fit the mold you like, and then saying that Western women in general don't fit that mold either, is juggling oranges and a bunch of rotten apples.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
(April 23, 2013 at 8:10 am)thesummerqueen Wrote: No one denies there are misandrists. But equating them with regular feminists, and then also saying that feminists aren't "women" because they don't fit the mold you like, and then saying that Western women in general don't fit that mold either, is juggling oranges and a bunch of rotten apples.

Indeed, I think we at a stage now that we need stronger united equality groups. I think labels hurt more than they help nowadays as people including myself sometimes will over generalize. So yes I understand and get what you are saying.

(April 23, 2013 at 6:47 am)Fidel_Castronaut Wrote:
(April 23, 2013 at 6:35 am)bladevalant546 Wrote: I believe it has to do with feminism being hijacked by radical misandrists. Also, the supression of Misandry. Personally I do not see a need for feminism. Why not be for equal rights and fight for equality for all mankind? So an equalitist? (I just made that up.) My girlfriend wrote a paper on Misandry and the negative feminism that exists today.

Any links?

It was college paper, I might be able to post it here if I have her permission. IT was a rather interesting read.
[Image: grumpy-cat-and-jesus-meme-died-for-sins.jpg]

I would be a televangelist....but I have too much of a soul.
(April 23, 2013 at 8:10 am)thesummerqueen Wrote: No one denies there are misandrists. But equating them with regular feminists, and then also saying that feminists aren't "women" because they don't fit the mold you like, and then saying that Western women in general don't fit that mold either, is juggling oranges and a bunch of rotten apples.

Missing the point.
(April 23, 2013 at 6:35 am)bladevalant546 Wrote: So an equalitist?

I like it! Sign me up! Big Grin

(April 23, 2013 at 8:44 am)bladevalant546 Wrote: It was college paper, I might be able to post it here if I have her permission. IT was a rather interesting read.

That would be nice, hope she gives her permission.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

What point, pretty please? Because you've blathered on about a lot of shit.
(April 23, 2013 at 8:10 am)thesummerqueen Wrote: No one here denies there are misandrists.
fixed
Nemo me impune lacessit.
(April 23, 2013 at 9:53 am)Stue Denim Wrote:
(April 23, 2013 at 8:10 am)thesummerqueen Wrote: No one here denies there are misandrists.
fixed

[quirks smile] Point, I was assuming the "here" part but I should know better than to do that after the dealings with other theists here.
(April 23, 2013 at 4:30 am)Stue Denim Wrote: If it's those two issues that are the focus, why feminism?

If it worked for other equality issues, why not feminism?
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(April 22, 2013 at 11:05 am)thesummerqueen Wrote: Stop using the world "natural". It isn't. It's a cultural norm of this particular time. You can be attractive to someone no matter what you do, it just might not be the someone you want, or you might not have found that someone.

Coming in late here but I agree w/ summer.

Anyone who cultivates their appearance/behavior/persona in order to be attractive to the maximum number of sexual partners is not being smart about it. They only decrease the likelihood of finding a satisfying relationship. Man or woman.

Of course, if ones goal is to play the field and maximize 'conquests', then such manipulation may pay dividends. Otherwise, being as transparent as possible is the easiest way to sift through a seemingly immense field of potential mates. You've got to give people who disagree with what you find important and dislike the way you are a chance to cross themselves off you potential mate list. Of course you need to be just as picky from your end.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Reputation Roadmap Foxaèr 0 209 September 14, 2020 at 8:35 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  How do you have so many reputation points? Macoleco 55 4716 August 3, 2019 at 10:04 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  What's your area's bad ass bug(s)? Gawdzilla Sama 23 1845 November 4, 2018 at 8:51 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
  [user split] Further Peanut Gallery Commentary on the Staff Log of Bannings and such. Angrboda 8 1522 September 29, 2018 at 8:31 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  The No Good, Bad Luck Thread Bob Kelso 4 402 September 12, 2018 at 12:16 pm
Last Post: brewer
  A bad day for the neighbors ... and a mystery to solve ignoramus 6 502 July 6, 2018 at 3:47 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Having such a hard time in High School right now Distheist 7 1200 March 24, 2018 at 1:54 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  How long can a Subway sandwich last in the refrigerator before it goes bad? Cthulhu Awakening 11 6617 December 24, 2017 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Good person/bad person Catholic_Lady 82 11261 October 23, 2017 at 9:18 am
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  Why are TSA agents such assholes? NuclearEnergy 11 5673 May 28, 2017 at 1:50 am
Last Post: vorlon13