Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 27, 2024, 5:18 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In a world without God...
RE: In a world without God...
(June 10, 2013 at 1:40 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: Err... Written records usually debunk prophesy Drippy

it depends on who they are written by. The Egyptians are notorious for expunging or simply not recording defeat. They've even wiped out whole pryamids of rulers they did not like, and attempted to erase away any signs of the One God that ruler had the nation worship.. If there exile was for only fourty years, that very generation could have wiped their own shame from history. Now add the fact that the Babylon did not make it to modern times (as they were the one to defeat eygpt) It would be logical that we would know nothing about Egypt's defeat.

History is written by the victors and maintained by who is left. Meaning your 'written record' is only as reliable as those who orginally wrote it, and every single generation dedication to perserve it from that time to this. Neither of which would be in egypt's favor to perserve this defeat.

In short you dont know, what you don't know.
(June 9, 2013 at 10:45 pm)Drich Wrote: The same physics that braking systems work off of?

How is that even a proper response to what I said? You said letting people get hit by buses is a learning situation, and I replied that we would know regardless due to our understanding of physics. Then you reply with this? WTF? Did you just decide to phone this one in?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(June 8, 2013 at 10:53 pm)missluckie26 Wrote: And what if you're the best son in the world, live as good as you can and meet righteous standards..and your father who loves you so much doesn't even bother showing up to your deathbed after a lifetime of faith based allowances that you've given him for not showing up your entire squalid, radically suffering life?
Drich Wrote:But we are not good sons or daughters... Matter of fact most of us will not even admit we have a problem, and yet want our heavenly Father to enable us to live the lifestyle we want to live, by acknoweledging us and granting wishes when we ask them of Him.
Drich, I get what you're saying. But I wasn't 'most'. I didn't consider myself special, but a servant. I was happy and content with dying if it served no purpose but his. My lifestyle was survival of my afflictions--afflictions that I thanked him for each day. I've always been the follow directions unwaveringly sort, and that I did. I made sure minute to minute that I wasn't at fault, by monitoring my thoughts, measuring the purity of my intent, and begging for forgiveness at the most minor of infractions. My mind belonged to god not to me. I have nothing to deny about those times, I was as devoted and pure a daughter of god that one could be. The faith of a child can move a mountain bit was what i lived by per example. I had banished any evil from my life, begged for forgiveness for my inequities, and shunned completely the ungodly acts I'd partaken as a teenager. I was as straight as one can get on that path and he was nowhere to be seen, the entire time, besides my mind.

Quote:Seems like the cruelest thing someone could possibly do to me. If I get to death to find this is so, I will have no problems telling god he's Evil.
Quote:I doubt that. for your eyes will be open to the self righteous standard you would have to use to judge God evil. (God is only evil if you use your own standard of good and evil.) To which begs the question what makes your self righteous standard have any value what so ever? What authority what power do you have to enact your want for good and evil?
God is evil in my eyes for a lot of reasons. But I find one in particular, at his own admission, quite troubling for the mere fact of its contradictory nature. The verse about god defining innocents. Babies are. Too tired to look up the verse atm bur youre so well versed im sure you know. God orders their heads bashed in and their bodies ripped from their mothers wombs. I honestly don't care if you believe such is justified. I don't, and if that just means I have more morality than god then so be it.

Quote:I find it ridiculous when I'm told that there are things on this earth we are tied to that we must give up. Why is there an automatic assumption that we are tied to anything different than you? When the same things (love for your spouse for instance) are lifted up as most righteous within your faith. What makes your love for yours any different than my love for mine? If anything, my love for mine is stronger because I put him first above all, not second behind god.
Quote:When someone asks this question I think back to 80's role playing Games for the Orginal Nintendo system (bear with When you first start out playing a game like dragon warrior or final fantasy you start with a character and character points or attribute point, which you can use to customize your character. For instance you guy has attribute catagories like Strength, Magic abilities, Stamina, Dexterity etc... And you are given a finite amount of Attribute points to accredit to your level 1 character. Usally it was just enough to give your guy 2 points in every category, or 10 character points in one category.

Now you ask How can I say my love for family be greater than your love for family if you put all of your character points into family first and I put my points in God first?

Quite simply put, God levels me up and my capacity for love is now greater than what I could love if I were to do it alone. Instead of maxing out at level 10. God has given me a level 40 love, (25 for Him and 15 for my family) that extended well beyond anything I could have ever thought possible. (As level 10 love was everyththing I thought possible before)

Quite literally I have God's love to give in addition to my own, and His love extends well beyond the point system I used to illustrate this precept.

To those who are faithful to what they have
been given, they will be given more. God gives us "X" amount of love to give (as we all have limits on our love even if we say it is unconditional) If we give it all back what He gives in return far exceeds anything we can do on our own.

Eh I found a power multiplier in my mortal love. There is no forever in our eyes, so we love harder and appreciate eachother more. No god necessary. I don't understand what you're saying about what god does for your amount of love that you aren't providing yourself and could do without god?
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]
(June 10, 2013 at 12:56 am)Drich Wrote: How do you know that what ezekiel recorded was going to happen to egypt did not happen?

How do you know that Odysseus, as Homer recorded, getting into Circe's island did not happen? Big Grin

Hell that story probably isn't as heavily edited as the 'good book', but Drippy, you are getting desperate. You don't ask people if X did not happen, you ask people if something did happen. Angel
(June 10, 2013 at 8:44 am)Drich Wrote:
(June 10, 2013 at 1:40 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: Err... Written records usually debunk prophesy Drippy

it depends on who they are written by. The Egyptians are notorious for expunging or simply not recording defeat. They've even wiped out whole pryamids of rulers they did not like, and attempted to erase away any signs of the One God that ruler had the nation worship.. If there exile was for only fourty years, that very generation could have wiped their own shame from history. Now add the fact that the Babylon did not make it to modern times (as they were the one to defeat eygpt) It would be logical that we would know nothing about Egypt's defeat.

History is written by the victors and maintained by who is left. Meaning your 'written record' is only as reliable as those who orginally wrote it, and every single generation dedication to perserve it from that time to this. Neither of which would be in egypt's favor to perserve this defeat.

Do you have a citation for those claims?
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
(June 11, 2013 at 5:52 am)LastPoet Wrote: How do you know that Odysseus, as Homer recorded, getting into Circe's island did not happen? Big Grin
..Because the Author did not repersent it as being an actual event.

Quote:Hell that story probably isn't as heavily edited as the 'good book',
Do some reserach on it, Homers story is not complete, it's not even his. It's based on 400 years of oral tradition, that was written in a poetic form.

Quote:but Drippy, you are getting desperate. You don't ask people if X did not happen, you ask people if something did happen. Angel
Big Grin I'm make statement in order to draw out discussion. If something seems easy for you to counter to the point where you make a point, then what I've done works.

(June 11, 2013 at 6:27 am)orogenicman Wrote:
(June 10, 2013 at 8:44 am)Drich Wrote: it depends on who they are written by. The Egyptians are notorious for expunging or simply not recording defeat. They've even wiped out whole pryamids of rulers they did not like, and attempted to erase away any signs of the One God that ruler had the nation worship.. If there exile was for only fourty years, that very generation could have wiped their own shame from history. Now add the fact that the Babylon did not make it to modern times (as they were the one to defeat eygpt) It would be logical that we would know nothing about Egypt's defeat.

Do you have a citation for those claims?

http://ohr.edu/2053
http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/moses.htm
http://www.egyptpast.com/history-1.html
(June 11, 2013 at 4:03 am)missluckie26 Wrote: Drich, I get what you're saying. But I wasn't 'most'. I didn't consider myself special, but a servant. I was happy and content with dying if it served no purpose but his. My lifestyle was survival of my afflictions--afflictions that I thanked him for each day. I've always been the follow directions unwaveringly sort, and that I did. I made sure minute to minute that I wasn't at fault, by monitoring my thoughts, measuring the purity of my intent, and begging for forgiveness at the most minor of infractions. My mind belonged to god not to me. I have nothing to deny about those times, I was as devoted and pure a daughter of god that one could be. The faith of a child can move a mountain bit was what i lived by per example. I had banished any evil from my life, begged for forgiveness for my inequities, and shunned completely the ungodly acts I'd partaken as a teenager. I was as straight as one can get on that path and he was nowhere to be seen, the entire time, besides my mind.

I am the oppsite of just about everything you listed here. Why? Not because I want to be rebellious or to not conform. It's because we have been commanded to Love God with all of our being, and for me I can't do the greatest command we have, and follow that typical perfect christian model. If I were to do these thing my worship and praise would be empty and meaningless. One of the things we must understand is that when we worship according to the Perfect Chriatian model we are often times not worshiping God. We are worshiping christianity. Don't confuse worshiping the method of worship with worshiping the one we have been called to worship.

I go to God "Just as I am." Grace covers the rest.

Quote:God is evil in my eyes for a lot of reasons. But I find one in particular, at his own admission, quite troubling for the mere fact of its contradictory nature. The verse about god defining innocents. Babies are. Too tired to look up the verse atm bur youre so well versed im sure you know. God orders their heads bashed in and their bodies ripped from their mothers wombs. I honestly don't care if you believe such is justified. I don't, and if that just means I have more morality than god then so be it.
This is what I mean. You judge good and evil by given acts. In God's economy the act itself holds no value. It is what He tells you to do, and whether or not you do it, makes a thing good or evil.

Quote:Eh I found a power multiplier in my mortal love. There is no forever in our eyes, so we love harder and appreciate eachother more. No god necessary. I don't understand what you're saying about what god does for your amount of love that you aren't providing yourself and could do without god?
I cant find it but I did a series of posts on my wifes addiction. In short, about half way through her recovery, my love for her ended. All that was left was the reflection of God's grace and mercy he had for me in my life, was being extended to her. (As God forgave me and gave me another chance, I in turn was obligated to forgive her and give her another chance. So long as she did not exceed the bounds of the vows of our marriage I was tied to her.

Durning the worst of it her mother and father washed their hands (as did my Father, my mother still spoke with me.) We say our earthly love is unconditional, but it is not. All love has a begining and an end point. (Not confusing love with codependancy.)

God's love is conditional, but once one meets the condition H[/quote]e set that person will find his love to be boundless.
(June 11, 2013 at 9:51 am)Drich Wrote: This is what I mean. You judge good and evil by given acts. In God's economy the act itself holds no value. It is what He tells you to do, and whether or not you do it, makes a thing good or evil.

So if God told you to rape a little girl, would you do it? I mean if he asks you to do it and you do it, so its good right? Or if you don't do it, its evil? How exactly does this work? And don't dodge this question by saying: God would never ask me to do this. He told Abraham to kill his son, asking you to rape a little girl is not a stretch at all.
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
(June 11, 2013 at 9:51 am)Drich Wrote: This is what I mean. You judge good and evil by given acts. In God's economy the act itself holds no value. It is what He tells you to do, and whether or not you do it, makes a thing good or evil.
Has God ever told you what to do or what not to do?

[ ] Yes: Please describe, I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation for the phenomenon.

[ ] No: How can you be so sure about all those things you only know from an old book of which you don't know the author and certainly not his intentions?
"Men see clearly enough the barbarity of all ages — except their own!" — Ernest Crosby.
(June 7, 2013 at 9:39 pm)Drich Wrote:
(June 7, 2013 at 3:23 pm)pocaracas Wrote: Oh nonononononono
You're not getting off that easy!
This thread has the title "In a world without god".
So the working hypothesis is "there is no god".
Under this hypothesis, any holy book is automatically man-made fiction.
"bible says" has no bearing whatsoever.

How do you answer the questions, under this hypothesis that you yourself included in this thread?

Someone either a little smarter or simply a little quicker than you already tried to take my thread using the same premise.. (Do and try to keep up.) in the end their effort fail like yours, because he like you qualified my efforts on my thread as mine. as such they (my efforts or my thread) are not subject to Your rules. :p

In other words just because I ask a question does not mean I can not ask another or change what you only Perceive to be the purpose of this thread.

Dodgy
You failed at the only Jim Jefferies commandment...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 47627 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  God so hated the world Silver 99 8532 December 7, 2020 at 3:03 pm
Last Post: Greatest I am
  On this world if humans ceased to exist would god cease to exist? brewer 58 13566 November 24, 2017 at 3:17 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Without the Shedding of Blood There is No Remission of Sin Rhondazvous 231 63120 June 4, 2017 at 9:31 am
Last Post: Zenith
  God is in charge of the world. Silver 93 12911 June 6, 2016 at 1:55 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Little children who died without Baptism go to eternal Hell?! Jehanne 34 6748 February 29, 2016 at 6:22 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
Exclamation Without God You will Fail! Gods Squad 110 18832 October 19, 2015 at 9:28 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  How to prove Christianity is right without trying very hard Dystopia 6 3917 July 15, 2015 at 5:01 am
Last Post: Excited Penguin
  How to Prove Your Own Position without Trying Very Hard Randy Carson 59 12645 July 14, 2015 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Bad/Good Things That Happen Without the Aid of a Deity Nope 30 10459 June 11, 2015 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd