Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 20, 2024, 10:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Measles Outbreak at Vaccine-Denying Church
RE: Measles Outbreak at Vaccine-Denying Church
(August 28, 2013 at 2:40 pm)Esquilax Wrote: So Drich, are you going to admit that you were wrong in your foxholes claim, now that you've been provided with multiple examples to the contrary? Or will you keep trundling on without ever accepting an error?

What do you think he'll do? He's never admitted being wrong yet, even when he's been shown to be wrong.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(August 28, 2013 at 3:57 pm)Faith No More Wrote: We went from talk about vaccines and diseases to Drich wanting to pray for us to get AIDS to his claim that everyone prays when faced with death which inevitably led to the "no atheists in foxholes" bullshit.
What an idiot.
"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it" - Robert A. Heinlein
Would you blame sports car for an accident instead of drunk driver?
Good guy Ronald Reagan

(August 28, 2013 at 4:03 pm)wwjs Wrote:
(August 28, 2013 at 3:57 pm)Faith No More Wrote: We went from talk about vaccines and diseases to Drich wanting to pray for us to get AIDS to his claim that everyone prays when faced with death which inevitably led to the "no atheists in foxholes" bullshit.
What an idiot.

That's the root cause, yes.
(August 28, 2013 at 11:57 am)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:
(August 28, 2013 at 11:50 am)CleanShavenJesus Wrote: I'd like Dirch to admit that his "There are no atheists in foxholes" statement was incorrect. Then we can all go about our day.

Don't hold your breath waiting.

His faith is so weak that accepting that atheist soldiers actually serve honorably in combat without falling on their knees and wailing for Jesus to save them would make it crumble. Knowing that his faith is just a house of cards, he'll keep his eyes and ears as closed as necessary to keep that from happening, because if atheists can be brave, God must not exist.

It's the only explanation that makes sense.

(August 28, 2013 at 12:55 pm)Drich Wrote:
(August 28, 2013 at 11:32 am)Esquilax Wrote: If you dislike obstinacy, perhaps you should stop posting offensive drivel?

Just go back to the usual unsupported presuppositions, seriously.

Maybe that is a serious character flaw of mine. I will stand for what is right, and damn the consenquences.

I'll be translating your comments into something more honest:

I will stand for whatever random thought crosses my mind and damn the consequesnces.

(August 28, 2013 at 12:55 pm)Drich Wrote: I do not care if it is me against the whole world, I will defend what it right till there is nothing left for me to give.

I don't care if anything I say is really true, I will defend whatever I come up with until everyone else is too tired to keep responding.

(August 28, 2013 at 12:55 pm)Drich Wrote: I believe in absolutes, and when I see an absolute being trampled on (even by member of our society who should normally be held in high regaurd such as ANY military personal, I will speak my peace.)

I believe I'm always right and when I see something that doesn't support my world view I'll make up any BS I like about the people in question.

(August 28, 2013 at 12:55 pm)Drich Wrote: I in this instance feel a deep obligation to honor the sacrifice made by those heros who have died in combat to hold their deeds, their jobs in a high respect than everyone else in the military.

In this instance I saw something at odds with what I already believed and responded by making idle speculations about alternate scenarios and insulting the men in the photo based on that sheer speculation.

(August 28, 2013 at 12:55 pm)Drich Wrote: when I see non-combatants represent themselves in a combatant role it is an insult to those who trained, over came their fears, bled, fought and died in the role these posers are trying to ascribe for themselves. Damn their rank and their honor if they try and take or represent themselves as a true hero.

When I see soldiers in a photo saying they are 'atheists in foxholes' I assume they're lying about being in combat because I think an old aphorism some chaplain tossed out in WWII is an actual fact and that entitles me to make up any narrative I like about soldiers I know nothing about.
So I guess Drich thinks that chaplains are d-bags too, because they aren't on the front lines trading fire with the enemy? Last time I checked, all chaplains were support staff.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(August 28, 2013 at 2:04 pm)Drich Wrote:
(August 28, 2013 at 1:14 pm)Texas Sailor Wrote: Drich...Which God do the Zen-Buddhists pray to???

My mother was a Buddhist. Buddhist worship the path of the 'awakened one.' To walk this path and to acheave this 'wakened' state elevates one to an enlightened sense of being, which trancends all of the 'dukkha/pain and suffering' the ignorant suffer from. To acheave this zen elevates these transcended believers to a state of nirvana. From this state some believe one can reach the ultimate state as a budda has and can be 'reborn' and keep coming back in higher states of existence. The end goal for the Buddhist is 'buddahood.' In essence Buddhism is a form of self worship that elevates it's believer too a FORM of godhood. So the Buddist worships the path to enlightment, which deifies the indivisual to a degree.

The definition of a god is not 'a path one admires or an enlightened person'. Someone who does not believe in any gods (superhuman beings with supernatural powers that affect reality and are worshiped) is an atheist because that's what atheist means. Some Buddhists believe in devas, lesser gods, although they usually don't worship them, so those Buddhists would be theists. Buddhists who don't believe in devas are atheists, and this normally and especially includes Zen Buddhists.

(August 28, 2013 at 12:55 pm)Drich Wrote: To be a Buddhist, and to fight in a war would destroy everything they believed in (That is why so many of them set themselves on fire rather than fight in a war.)

Zen Buddhism was the religion that the vast majority of the Samurai class followed because it offered discipline and focus. When it comes to strict non-violence, you may have confused Buddhism with Jainism (another religion without God, btw). Buddhist countries have fought wars with each other for centuries. Guatuama was not much more successful in instilling compassion among his followers than Jesus was.

(August 28, 2013 at 12:55 pm)Drich Wrote: For those who fought, and caused suffering and pain knew they could never have the hope to obtain a true state of Zen, thus pushing them to seek other religions, or to simply try and start over.

Or try again on the next incarnations, I suppose.

(August 28, 2013 at 12:55 pm)Drich Wrote: I love it when new people just jump in the middle of the conversation and just assume the points they bring up have not be discussed yet... Oh wait no I don't. I actually hate that, that is why I am going to tell you to go back and re read what has already been written if you want an answer to your question.

A Drich thread is the perfect place to just jump into the middle of a conversation because you can count on him not having seriously considered any previous point, so it it's no more wasteful to repeat what's already been said than it is to say something new. It's all equally wasted on Drich.
The beef here isn't about God, or Christianity. It's about ignorant people...

God chooses His own methods "of" for His will to be done.

It's like (analogy alert) complaining about GM causing a flat tire. If you complain hard enough, GM may indeed fix it. But they weren't responsible for your running around on roads littered w/ debris other people put there.

Most Chrisitans have faith that the Lord will lead them in the right direction medically.... or where-ever! Radicals announce their ignorance. Faithful pray quietly for guidance.

The big picture according to the MAJORITY of the Faithful, is that God will guide us to healing. And if we don't get it? We die in His graces and mercy. And the promise of Eternal Life!

Ever hear the quote: "Eat Good, Stay Fit...Die Anyway"? We'll all step through that door. Some down a shaft...some up a staircase.

Death is the one thing we all can agree on! It's gonna happen. Do the particulars concerning it matter?

You will never get 99.8% of Christians to ignore healing sent forth by God.... In [whatever manner] He chooses.

So why exploit the .2 ? It's divisive, not true and not fair! I'm sure we could find .2%... or more of atheists that are idiots to complain about. But rather, we chose the high road!
Quis ut Deus?
(August 28, 2013 at 4:45 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote:
(August 28, 2013 at 2:04 pm)Drich Wrote: My mother was a Buddhist. Buddhist worship the path of the 'awakened one.' To walk this path and to acheave this 'wakened' state elevates one to an enlightened sense of being, which trancends all of the 'dukkha/pain and suffering' the ignorant suffer from. To acheave this zen elevates these transcended believers to a state of nirvana. From this state some believe one can reach the ultimate state as a budda has and can be 'reborn' and keep coming back in higher states of existence. The end goal for the Buddhist is 'buddahood.' In essence Buddhism is a form of self worship that elevates it's believer too a FORM of godhood. So the Buddist worships the path to enlightment, which deifies the indivisual to a degree.

The definition of a god is not 'a path one admires or an enlightened person'. Someone who does not believe in any gods (superhuman beings with supernatural powers that affect reality and are worshiped) is an atheist because that's what atheist means. Some Buddhists believe in devas, lesser gods, although they usually don't worship them, so those Buddhists would be theists. Buddhists who don't believe in devas are atheists, and this normally and especially includes Zen Buddhists.

(August 28, 2013 at 12:55 pm)Drich Wrote: To be a Buddhist, and to fight in a war would destroy everything they believed in (That is why so many of them set themselves on fire rather than fight in a war.)

Zen Buddhism was the religion that the vast majority of the Samurai class followed because it offered discipline and focus. When it comes to strict non-violence, you may have confused Buddhism with Jainism (another religion without God, btw). Buddhist countries have fought wars with each other for centuries. Guatuama was not much more successful in instilling compassion among his followers than Jesus was.

(August 28, 2013 at 12:55 pm)Drich Wrote: For those who fought, and caused suffering and pain knew they could never have the hope to obtain a true state of Zen, thus pushing them to seek other religions, or to simply try and start over.

Or try again on the next incarnations, I suppose.

(August 28, 2013 at 12:55 pm)Drich Wrote: I love it when new people just jump in the middle of the conversation and just assume the points they bring up have not be discussed yet... Oh wait no I don't. I actually hate that, that is why I am going to tell you to go back and re read what has already been written if you want an answer to your question.

A Drich thread is the perfect place to just jump into the middle of a conversation because you can count on him not having seriously considered any previous point, so it it's no more wasteful to repeat what's already been said than it is to say something new. It's all equally wasted on Drich.

did you happen to notice how I backed up my assertions with actual verfiable reference material?

Where is yours? or am I just to take your word for everything?
(August 28, 2013 at 5:07 pm)ronedee Wrote: But rather, we chose the high road!

I think what you mean is that we demean and degrade anyone different from us but claim we took the high road anyway.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(August 28, 2013 at 5:07 pm)ronedee Wrote: You will never get 99.8% of Christians to ignore healing sent forth by God.... In [whatever manner] He chooses.

Why is it that God's manner to heal people relies mainly on medical science? God has never cured diseases that man has managed to cure. God still doesn't cure amputees and never will until mankind figures out how to regrow limbs.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Church sex abuse: Thousands of paedophiles in French Church zebo-the-fat 8 1435 October 7, 2021 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Did Yahweh do us a favor by denying us eternal life? Greatest I am 30 3229 July 26, 2020 at 3:03 pm
Last Post: Greatest I am
  Church of England vs Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints vorlon13 13 4440 April 3, 2017 at 1:48 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Church update:children's church k2490 15 10972 June 26, 2013 at 7:59 am
Last Post: Rahul