Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 4, 2024, 11:43 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A small thanks to the resident Theists..
RE: A small thanks to the resident Theists..
(September 12, 2013 at 2:52 am)Godschild Wrote:

Actually I do not believe I've jumped through hoops to come to a conclusion on verses in scripture, I have said and still do I do not understand everything in the Bible. I do believe those verses I have explained over the last 3 years and I do believe I've given reasonable responses for them. Yet when the same verses, as the ones in this thread, come up time and again it shows no one was paying attention, or they just want to keep an argument going, or they just do not care. I get tired of explaining the same verses over and over especially these particular verses, because no one in the past has ever argued against what I have said about them. Atheist have certain pet verses they stand on and they do not like seeing their ideas about these verses shot down, well that's to bad IMO. When a right interpretation is made it's right and most atheist just can't stand it and will make foolish statements, or ignore the explanation like it's the plague and then come back with the same verses again. If a Christian shoots down an atheists idea about particular scriptures and they do not come back with a defense, then why should Christians have to keep putting up with the ignorance, maybe what we need is a place to store such conversations so things do not get rehashed and new members can be direct to the arguments, just sayin'.

Thinking GC

In some ways I sympathize but it is the nature of a forum - things get repeated as nauseam, but, probably not always from the same individual.

Certain verses in the Bible get highlighted because what they say on the face of it is entirely morally unacceptable to most. It shouldn't be a surprise, therefore, that many individuals identify the same verses as issues.

I guess the only easy approach for you is to keep your own copy of "stock responses."

Telling people to search the forum as you have already answered the question isn't really much help - searching on forums is not straightforward and rarely yields the results you are looking for.

As for the meat of your response it is what I would have predicted. You don't, ultimately see it as unreasonable or that your work level was that high to find your answers. For others, however, both apply.

I suppose as long as you are asking the reasonable question then that is OK. Maybe you will get through your entire life being OK with it, maybe some one thing will come along and be the straw that broke the camel's back, who knows?
(September 12, 2013 at 2:52 am)Godschild Wrote:

Thinking GC

Max-greece Wrote:In some ways I sympathize but it is the nature of a forum - things get repeated as nauseam, but, probably not always from the same individual.

Certain verses in the Bible get highlighted because what they say on the face of it is entirely morally unacceptable to most. It shouldn't be a surprise, therefore, that many individuals identify the same verses as issues.

I guess the only easy approach for you is to keep your own copy of "stock responses."

Telling people to search the forum as you have already answered the question isn't really much help - searching on forums is not straightforward and rarely yields the results you are looking for.

As for the meat of your response it is what I would have predicted. You don't, ultimately see it as unreasonable or that your work level was that high to find your answers. For others, however, both apply.

I suppose as long as you are asking the reasonable question then that is OK. Maybe you will get through your entire life being OK with it, maybe some one thing will come along and be the straw that broke the camel's back, who knows?

I do understand when new people come to the forum they have no idea what's been discussed. But that's not the case here, it's the same person who just wants to throw out the same thing.
I want everyone here to understand when I come across verses that seem to be outside of who God is I question Him directly and ask why, then I will study scripture till God answers my asking. Of coarse some will want to know if God always reveals answers to questions I bring to Him, the answer is that as of this time I'm still waiting on answers to some questions. I believe they will be answer some day, because He has answered many, many times in the past.

Smile GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
I can't resist asking - do you think if you didn't ask God directly but went straight to studying scripture you'd get your answer anyway? Do you think the answer you get might be different without the direct questioning first?

Also - are you always satisfied with the answers you get? Do you ever get an answer that disappoints you in some way? Do the answers sometimes raise other questions?

Too many questions - sorry - just trying to understand a bit more of your process.
(September 12, 2013 at 2:52 am)Godschild Wrote: I do believe those verses I have explained over the last 3 years and I do believe I've given reasonable responses for them.

I wasn't on this board 3 years ago, so please provide a link or else explain your position.

Quote:Read the verses and reason, just take the time to reason please.

Translation: Stop using your brain and you'll see that bible passages can mean whatever you want them to mean.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
'Reason' in this case appears to be 'Just accept that it means what I say it means'.
(September 12, 2013 at 2:30 am)Godschild Wrote:
(September 11, 2013 at 5:42 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: I'm sure you have, the problem is I cannot find it. Link?

BTW, to me it's irrelevant whether the passage is referring to minor or adult children. If that's the best justice that your god could muster, he's no god I would worship.

Again you are not paying attention to the verses, it does not say children.

Smile GC

Are you not paying attention? Did you see where I said 'adult' - and that it was not age that was the issue? I don't care if the son in question is 5 or 50 - it matters not.
(September 12, 2013 at 2:52 am)Godschild Wrote: If a Christian shoots down an atheists idea about particular scriptures and they do not come back with a defense, then why should Christians have to keep putting up with the ignorance, maybe what we need is a place to store such conversations so things do not get rehashed and new members can be direct to the arguments, just sayin'.

Interesting. DeistPaladin tried suggesting exactly that and immediately found himself beneath a dogpile of naysayers. Now it's suddenly a good idea?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(September 12, 2013 at 11:02 am)Stimbo Wrote:
(September 12, 2013 at 2:52 am)Godschild Wrote: If a Christian shoots down an atheists idea about particular scriptures and they do not come back with a defense, then why should Christians have to keep putting up with the ignorance, maybe what we need is a place to store such conversations so things do not get rehashed and new members can be direct to the arguments, just sayin'.

Interesting. DeistPaladin tried suggesting exactly that and immediately found himself beneath a dogpile of naysayers. Now it's suddenly a good idea?

That's different, derp.
Silly old Stimbo! Tongue
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(September 12, 2013 at 11:30 am)Stimbo Wrote: Silly old Stimbo! Tongue

Wait, is this about irony meters? Oh, I turned mine off, the damn thing kept blowing everytime I talk to a religionist.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Funny video - Saturday Night Live - teen thanks god during thanksgiving Ferrocyanide 4 812 November 7, 2021 at 5:09 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Made in God’s image. Yuk. Not me thanks. Greatest I am 20 3164 July 25, 2020 at 2:38 pm
Last Post: Greatest I am
  Dear Resident Theists Longhorn 271 64386 September 8, 2015 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: rexbeccarox
  Blind boy thanks he favourite deity for making him blind ReptilianPeon 12 3486 August 28, 2015 at 7:43 am
Last Post: Longhorn
  Questions for theists (and ex-theists, too) Longhorn 15 5015 April 23, 2015 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: orangebox21
  Theists: What makes your claims right and the claims of other theists wrong? Ryantology 29 8495 March 21, 2014 at 9:59 am
Last Post: Phatt Matt s
  Um…Thanks (I think?) BrokenQuill92 7 1955 January 14, 2014 at 5:29 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Small wonder God/Allah/Vishnu 'has many faces' Rokcet Scientist 2 1451 September 21, 2011 at 3:28 pm
Last Post: Rokcet Scientist
  A small gem.. Kayenneh 1 1081 May 25, 2011 at 1:04 pm
Last Post: Rayaan
  thanks, god. bozo 88 27086 April 16, 2009 at 3:18 pm
Last Post: Kyuuketsuki