Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 30, 2024, 2:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The most important reason anyone is an atheist
RE: The most important reason anyone is a atheist
(October 10, 2013 at 2:06 pm)Sword of Christ Wrote: Equality and humanistic principals are what Jesus taught and many of the our civil rights movements and other acts such as the abolition of the slave trade were inspired by Christian morality. Not to say other religions don't teach some good morality but they didn't necessarily all teach equality of rights and status. In India for example they have a caste system and in the Islamic world men are still dominant to women something you may have noticed. You don't poo poo the achievements of Christian civilization or claim them in the name of atheism. Atheism did nothing at all.

Oh, I forgot. You're the dumbass that thinks that every single accomplishment of humanity is due to Christianity, even the accomplishments of other religions.

You have reality issues.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
"the abolition of the slave trade were inspired by Christian morality."

So the Christian abolitionists eventually won out over the Christian Slave Traders (after 400 years of business) and that is a victory for Christian morality.

Yeah!!!

Way to go Jesus!!
(October 10, 2013 at 4:29 pm)max-greece Wrote: "the abolition of the slave trade were inspired by Christian morality."

So the Christian abolitionists eventually won out over the Christian Slave Traders (after 400 years of business) and that is a victory for Christian morality.

Yeah!!!

Way to go Jesus!!

They were both Christians, but the ones who wanted to end slavery simply watered down the same book with their own interpretation. What was really working was our human ability for compassion, not Christianity. The entire bible demands servitude to one character, and it most certainly does not condemn slavery.
(October 10, 2013 at 4:08 pm)Faith No More Wrote: Oh, I forgot. You're the dumbass that thinks that every single accomplishment of humanity is due to Christianity, even the accomplishments of other religions.

You have reality issues.

I never said that, but Christianity did influence our society and our morality including human rights movements and welfare systems whether you want to deny it or not. Atheists are quick to point out the Inquisition or whatever while enjoying the fruits Christianity has brought us. Fruits from a very real God, you still think this a myth? If you open your eyes and have a look around (and within) you may see the evidence you keep asking for.
Come all ye faithful joyful and triumphant.
(October 8, 2013 at 11:08 am)BadWriterSparty Wrote: What? You're not an atheist because you enjoy eating babies?

I prefer to eat the babies mothers... not sure what that has to do with being an atheist tho. (if I did emoticons... this is where it would be)
"Music is my religion" Jimi Hendrix
(October 10, 2013 at 5:28 pm)Sword of Christ Wrote: ...but Christianity did influence our society and our morality including human rights movements and welfare systems whether you want to deny it or not.

Sure, just not in the way you wish.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
"Fruits from a very real God, you still think this a myth? If you open your eyes and have a look around (and within) you may see the evidence you keep asking for."

Well - there's nothing under the desk.....hang on.....I'll check the cupboard in the hall - that's where most things are.
(October 10, 2013 at 5:28 pm)Sword of Christ Wrote: I never said that, but Christianity did influence our society and our morality including human rights movements and welfare systems whether you want to deny it or not.

Then why do conservative Christians always find themselves on the wrong side of those human rights movements and welfare systems? I'll give you a few examples: Women's suffrage, civil rights, gay marriage equality, and Republicans always trying (and occasionally succeeding) at cutting social programs, like for instance the recent $40 billion cuts to SNAP?
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(October 10, 2013 at 5:28 pm)Sword of Christ Wrote:
(October 10, 2013 at 4:08 pm)Faith No More Wrote: Oh, I forgot. You're the dumbass that thinks that every single accomplishment of humanity is due to Christianity, even the accomplishments of other religions.

You have reality issues.

I never said that, but Christianity did influence our society and our morality including human rights movements and welfare systems whether you want to deny it or not. Atheists are quick to point out the Inquisition or whatever while enjoying the fruits Christianity has brought us. Fruits from a very real God, you still think this a myth? If you open your eyes and have a look around (and within) you may see the evidence you keep asking for.

[Image: cop_out_wallpaper_06.jpg]
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
(October 10, 2013 at 6:05 pm)Fidel_Castronaut Wrote:
(October 10, 2013 at 5:28 pm)Sword of Christ Wrote: I never said that, but Christianity did influence our society and our morality including human rights movements and welfare systems whether you want to deny it or not. Atheists are quick to point out the Inquisition or whatever while enjoying the fruits Christianity has brought us. Fruits from a very real God, you still think this a myth? If you open your eyes and have a look around (and within) you may see the evidence you keep asking for.

[Image: cop_out_wallpaper_06.jpg]
Then how do you explain the fact that when the church was at its highest power human rights were at there lowest (dark ages)
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A question about Dawkins enemies of reason documentary Quill01 3 595 April 17, 2022 at 5:25 pm
Last Post: Belacqua
  The reason religion is so powerful Macoleco 344 29141 June 30, 2021 at 11:43 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Reason Jesus must have been a real person mrj 74 11719 March 5, 2021 at 6:44 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  "How God got started", how god belief + basic reason + writing -> modern humans? Whateverist 26 7460 October 15, 2017 at 12:12 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Another Reason Christians are Dangerous Rhondazvous 49 8778 February 5, 2017 at 8:55 am
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Important theological question for creationists Alex K 2 737 November 27, 2016 at 12:51 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Atheists Have the Most Logical Reason for being Moral Rhondazvous 24 7864 January 22, 2016 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Reforged
  The only important reason I'm more powerful than god. Silver 5 2100 November 13, 2015 at 4:24 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  The reason humans believe drfuzzy 31 6589 October 10, 2015 at 1:18 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Atheism is the absence of reason.. Vault Boy 49 12135 August 6, 2015 at 12:30 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist