Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 21, 2024, 2:40 am

Poll: I claim...
This poll is closed.
that God exists empirically
21.05%
4 21.05%
that I believe in God
21.05%
4 21.05%
none of the above
57.89%
11 57.89%
Total 19 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Q: do you, Christian, claim that God exists, rather than you believe that he exists?
RE: Q: do you, Christian, claim that God exists, rather than you believe that he exists?
(February 22, 2014 at 3:23 pm)whateverist Wrote:
(February 22, 2014 at 3:19 pm)discipulus Wrote: If empiricists hold to a proposition which states that we should only take a proposition to be true if it can be scientifically proven, then their view is self-refuting, no?

The proposition: "We should only take a proposition to be true if it can be scientifically proven", cannot be scientifically proven, and thus, fails to meet its own criteria.

Damn! No wonder you were buttering me up so good. Good one.

No worries!

It is just that I love logic, and I happen to be a Christian as well. I think that God gave us logic so we can better understand the world He created. I think disciplines like philosophy and the like are all gifts from that One Awesome Mind.
RE: Q: do you, Christian, claim that God exists, rather than you believe that he exists?
(February 22, 2014 at 3:30 pm)discipulus Wrote:
(February 22, 2014 at 3:23 pm)whateverist Wrote: Damn! No wonder you were buttering me up so good. Good one.

No worries!

It is just that I love logic, and I happen to be a Christian as well. I think that God gave us logic so we can better understand the world He created. I think disciplines like philosophy and the like are all gifts from that One Awesome Mind.

If you read back over my last few posts in this thread you'll see that I agree with you. That is exactly why we have a conscious mind. I just don't call the rest of it God any more.
(February 22, 2014 at 3:00 pm)truthBtold Wrote: So u believe in something that has no evidence,and until u do find evidence that the bible is bull.. then u will not believe that junk?? Yourr not be honest to urself

I'm Taoist and Hindu. The "bible" means nothing to me. You need to check your assumptions before you speak.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(February 22, 2014 at 3:43 pm)rasetsu Wrote:
(February 22, 2014 at 3:00 pm)truthBtold Wrote: So u believe in something that has no evidence,and until u do find evidence that the bible is bull.. then u will not believe that junk?? Yourr not be honest to urself

I'm Taoist and Hindu. The "bible" means nothing to me. You need to check your assumptions before you speak.

Ur belief is a joke too. So?
(February 22, 2014 at 3:49 pm)truthBtold Wrote:
(February 22, 2014 at 3:43 pm)rasetsu Wrote: I'm Taoist and Hindu. The "bible" means nothing to me. You need to check your assumptions before you speak.

It could be said, that your belief that his belief is a joke, is also a joke, if one looks at reality through the lens of atheism.

For what is your life if there is no God? What is your life if all there is is that which owes its existence to natural forces acting upon matter? Both you and the person whose beliefs you dismiss as a joke will live for a few years on this tiny speck of dust that is hurtling through a dark, uncaring, cold universe which will one day experience either a heat death or a big crunch. You like the one whose beliefs you label as a joke will die, not unlike the maggot, or roach, or rat, and will be no more. The whole picture both for you and for the one whose beliefs you label are a joke is a bleak one. But then, maybe this is just the kind of fate you desire....

If there is no God, if there is no ultimate purpose, no eternal life, then you are no better off nor worse off than Adolph Hitler or Pol Pot. And you like the one whose beliefs you label as a joke will die and cease to exist, as far as scientists can tell us.

Even your posting on this forum and telling someone their beliefs are a joke is ultimately meaningless.

Do you understand that?
(February 22, 2014 at 3:43 pm)rasetsu Wrote: I'm Taoist and Hindu. The "bible" means nothing to me. You need to check your assumptions before you speak.

You don't even know what I believe. The position of one who speaks from ignorance is hardly worth taking seriously.

Quiet, child. The adults are talking.
(February 22, 2014 at 4:01 pm)discipulus Wrote: For what is your life if there is no God?

It is exactly what it was before and without the idea of God. We are critters with conscious minds, perhaps made possible by what you call God but which I would completely separate from anything connected to the bible. That is only one set of narratives which has arisen around the intuition of God. Not at all more special than any of the others and all of them are better for not being taken literally. IMHO
(February 22, 2014 at 4:01 pm)discipulus Wrote: If there is no God, if there is no ultimate purpose, no eternal life, then you are no better off nor worse off than Adolph Hitler or Pol Pot.

I'll bet that both Pol Pot and Hitler were grateful they existed, regardless of any ultimate meaning.

I don't know much about Pol Pot, and there's some possibility that Hitler had mood problems, but I think most are glad to have existed, as opposed to having not.

(February 22, 2014 at 4:01 pm)discipulus Wrote:
(February 22, 2014 at 3:49 pm)truthBtold Wrote: Ur belief is a joke too. So?

It could be said, that your belief that his belief is a joke, is also a joke, if one looks at reality through the lens of atheism.

For what is your life if there is no God? What is your life if all there is is that which owes its existence to natural forces acting upon matter? Both you and the person whose beliefs you dismiss as a joke will live for a few years on this tiny speck of dust that is hurtling through a dark, uncaring, cold universe which will one day experience either a heat death or a big crunch. You like the one whose beliefs you label as a joke will die, not unlike the maggot, or roach, or rat, and will be no more. The whole picture both for you and for the one whose beliefs you label are a joke is a bleak one. But then, maybe this is just the kind of fate you desire....

If there is no God, if there is no ultimate purpose, no eternal life, then you are no better off nor worse off than Adolph Hitler or Pol Pot. And you like the one whose beliefs you label as a joke will die and cease to exist, as far as scientists can tell us.

Even your posting on this forum and telling someone their beliefs are a joke is ultimately meaningless.

Do you understand that?

hitler was catholic and and ur sorry ass speach is meaningless !!

(February 22, 2014 at 4:03 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:
(February 22, 2014 at 3:49 pm)truthBtold Wrote: Ur belief is a joke too. So?

Quiet, child. The adults are talking.

Who gods child?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I believe the Bible is God's Word arealquestion 72 1972 September 13, 2024 at 9:15 am
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  What seems to be the latest claim about end times belief Vintagesilverscreen 6 611 June 28, 2024 at 6:47 pm
Last Post: Prycejosh1987
  Good exists - a Catholic comments Barry 619 51152 October 30, 2023 at 2:40 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  GOD's Mercy While It Is Still Today - Believe! Mercyvessel 102 10367 January 9, 2022 at 1:31 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
Thumbs Down The story of Noah' s Ark - or - God is dumber than you. onlinebiker 75 8476 September 24, 2021 at 5:53 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Armageddon. Does it make Jesus rather evil? Greatest I am 21 2681 February 9, 2021 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 96734 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Hell, or rather my brief experience of it. Drich 206 89672 December 23, 2019 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: no one
  In the end, there's just what you personally believe Silver 31 5562 August 12, 2018 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  The believer seems to know god better than he knows himself Silver 43 9386 June 2, 2018 at 1:30 pm
Last Post: Angrboda