Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 21, 2024, 5:35 am

Poll: I claim...
This poll is closed.
that God exists empirically
21.05%
4 21.05%
that I believe in God
21.05%
4 21.05%
none of the above
57.89%
11 57.89%
Total 19 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Q: do you, Christian, claim that God exists, rather than you believe that he exists?
RE: Q: do you, Christian, claim that God exists, rather than you believe that he exists?
You're not in a debate; you're in a forum where multiple people can chime in. Based on your current usage of word salads and question-begging epithets, you'd be lucky if anyone even had a fleeting thought of a debate with you. If you want some results, then you need to address the questions posed to you head on. If you can't even do that, then please find your way to the door once you've finished wiping your ass on our carpet.
[Image: 10314461_875206779161622_3907189760171701548_n.jpg]
RE: Q: do you, Christian, claim that God exists, rather than you believe that he exists?
(February 27, 2014 at 2:11 pm)discipulus Wrote: I am not. On the contrary, I already gave the invitation to discuss it. It is in a previous post of mine. Did you see it?

I think a new thread is unnecessary (both because it would be redundant and because it is tangentially relevant to this thread). I'm perfectly content to have the discussion right here.

If you want a new thread about it, make one. If you want to actually discuss it, let's go. I've already broached the subject and explained my viewpoint. It's your turn.
(February 27, 2014 at 2:52 pm)Bad Writer Wrote: You're not in a debate; you're in a forum where multiple people can chime in. Based on your current usage of word salads and question-begging epithets, you'd be lucky if anyone even had a fleeting thought of a debate with you. If you want some results, then you need to address the questions posed to you head on. If you can't even do that, then please find your way to the door once you've finished wiping your ass on our carpet.

You are correct.

I am in a forum where multiple people can chime in, which is exactly why I refrain from discussing the issue at length unless it is in a dedicated thread.

The "chiming" in often times hinders people from following the OP and usually ends in the thread getting derailed and sometimes it even devolves into nothing more than people posting expletive riddled quips.

Substantive, irenic discussion is facilitated when it takes place in a thread where you have two people defending their views without a bunch of people chiming in and causing distractions.

When two adults want to have a serious discussion on a matter they both feel is important, they usually do not choose to have the discussion on a playground in the midst of raucous children.

And as far as me finding my way to the door, that will not be happening anytime soon. I am sorry if this disappoints you. But I love to have my views challenged in stimulating, cordial discourse, even though it may be that this happens infrequently here. The chances for this occuring here are few and far between so I cherish them.
(February 27, 2014 at 5:23 pm)discipulus Wrote:
(February 27, 2014 at 2:52 pm)Bad Writer Wrote: You're not in a debate; you're in a forum where multiple people can chime in. Based on your current usage of word salads and question-begging epithets, you'd be lucky if anyone even had a fleeting thought of a debate with you. If you want some results, then you need to address the questions posed to you head on. If you can't even do that, then please find your way to the door once you've finished wiping your ass on our carpet.

You are correct.

I am in a forum where multiple people can chime in, which is exactly why I refrain from discussing the issue at length unless it is in a dedicated thread.

The "chiming" in often times hinders people from following the OP and usually ends in the thread getting derailed and sometimes it even devolves into nothing more than people posting expletive riddled quips.

Substantive, irenic discussion is facilitated when it takes place in a thread where you have two people defending their views without a bunch of people chiming in and causing distractions.

When two adults want to have a serious discussion on a matter they both feel is important, they usually do not choose to have the discussion on a playground in the midst of raucous children.

And as far as me finding my way to the door, that will not be happening anytime soon. I am sorry if this disappoints you. But I love to have my views challenged in stimulating, cordial discourse, even though it may be that this happens infrequently here. The chances for this occuring here are few and far between so I cherish them.

discipulus are u really william lane craig???... I sense the nonsense.....
(February 27, 2014 at 5:27 pm)truthBtold Wrote:
(February 27, 2014 at 5:23 pm)discipulus Wrote: You are correct.

discipulus are u really william lane craig???... I sense the nonsense.....

Oh no .... lol..

But I have read much of his work. I see you are familiar with him?
(February 27, 2014 at 5:55 pm)discipulus Wrote:
(February 27, 2014 at 5:27 pm)truthBtold Wrote: discipulus are u really william lane craig???... I sense the nonsense.....

Oh no .... lol..

Yes sir.. I watched alot of his debates and checked out his website.
(February 27, 2014 at 5:57 pm)truthBtold Wrote:
(February 27, 2014 at 5:55 pm)discipulus Wrote: Oh no .... lol..

Yes sir.. I watched alot of his debates and checked out his website.

That's cool. I have an account over there by the same name. The forums are not very active though. So I do not spend much time there.
(February 27, 2014 at 6:13 pm)discipulus Wrote: That's cool. I have an account over there by the same name. The forums are not very active though. So I do not spend much time there.

Irenically, so do I. I don't spend any time there however because I felt the majority of posters were weaselly, condescending assholes. Especially the one with the elephant avatar. That one was especially pompous and immune reason or honesty.
(February 27, 2014 at 5:23 pm)discipulus Wrote: I am in a forum where multiple people can chime in, which is exactly why I refrain from discussing the issue at length unless it is in a dedicated thread.

You should refrain from discussing the issue at all if all you're going to give is foreplay but no sex. It makes us wonder if you'll ever put out, even if you're in a one-on-one situation.

discipulus Wrote:The "chiming" in often times hinders people from following the OP and usually ends in the thread getting derailed and sometimes it even devolves into nothing more than people posting expletive riddled quips.

Not only do you fail to follow through in your burden of proof on, well, everything, but you have also attempted (very poorly) to shift the blame onto us as to why the thread has derailed.

Here's a hint: us calling you out on not being honest/not answering direct questions/beating around the bush is actually an attempt to bring things back on track. Expletives and curse words are something you as a member of society need to fucking get over. A discussion is no less valid because of the way one party chooses to express him or herself. If you are offended, then that's your own shit to deal with.

discipulus Wrote:Substantive, irenic discussion is facilitated when it takes place in a thread where you have two people defending their views without a bunch of people chiming in and causing distractions.

For some people, this is true. But this appeal to move the discussion elsewhere begs the question; why are you discussing things here in the first place?

discipulus Wrote:When two adults want to have a serious discussion on a matter they both feel is important, they usually do not choose to have the discussion on a playground in the midst of raucous children.

Ohhh the drama!

Get over yourself, and do it quick, please.

discipulus Wrote:And as far as me finding my way to the door, that will not be happening anytime soon. I am sorry if this disappoints you.

I was merely giving you an out before the raucous children got to you any further. But by all means, stay. We're all DYING to hear what you have to say since you've withheld from us for this long.

discipulus Wrote:But I love to have my views challenged in stimulating, cordial discourse, even though it may be that this happens infrequently here.

"Here" meaning just this one thread where you happen to be posting. Take a stroll around the block and take a look at some of our other resident Theists who actually contend their views: Rayaan, Statler Waldorf, orangebox21, Godschild, etc. They don't make crazy demands to what they deem to be an equitable discussion because they're not as pompous and full of themselves as you seem to be. They're here to discuss their views. Why are you here? To piss people off? If it's to piss us off, then please just tell us now in order to save us a load of grief. It would be the "Christian" thing to do.
[Image: 10314461_875206779161622_3907189760171701548_n.jpg]
I think discipulus really wants to engage someone in the format known as "debate". That seems strange to me since scoring points in that manner and seeking reconciliation seem unlikely bed partners to me. In practice irenic discourse seems very difficult for any Christian apologist to truly embrace since there is very little of their beliefs that they see as "up to them".

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I believe the Bible is God's Word arealquestion 72 1977 September 13, 2024 at 9:15 am
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  What seems to be the latest claim about end times belief Vintagesilverscreen 6 611 June 28, 2024 at 6:47 pm
Last Post: Prycejosh1987
  Good exists - a Catholic comments Barry 619 51179 October 30, 2023 at 2:40 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  GOD's Mercy While It Is Still Today - Believe! Mercyvessel 102 10368 January 9, 2022 at 1:31 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
Thumbs Down The story of Noah' s Ark - or - God is dumber than you. onlinebiker 75 8476 September 24, 2021 at 5:53 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Armageddon. Does it make Jesus rather evil? Greatest I am 21 2681 February 9, 2021 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 96741 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Hell, or rather my brief experience of it. Drich 206 89680 December 23, 2019 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: no one
  In the end, there's just what you personally believe Silver 31 5562 August 12, 2018 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  The believer seems to know god better than he knows himself Silver 43 9387 June 2, 2018 at 1:30 pm
Last Post: Angrboda