Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 28, 2024, 8:17 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Historical Jesus is real and He rose from the grave
RE: The Historical Jesus is real and He rose from the grave
(April 1, 2014 at 11:32 am)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote: Minimalist Wrote: Yes, but surely they had a fallback position for those occasions where someone invited you to blow the holy ghost out your ass?

I lost you on what you are trying to say.

I wasn't talking to you.

I apologize.

(April 1, 2014 at 11:35 am)popeyespappy Wrote:
(April 1, 2014 at 10:47 am)Revelation777 Wrote: I am sorry you feel that way. People who really know me might not feel the same way as you do of me. I am not here for me and you could hate me all you want and call me whatever. That doesn't remove you from the fact that the Lord loves all of you and would have you repent and come to Him while there is still time. Not everything can be explained by Science. If the Lord Himself appeared to you I believe you would have trouble believing it. I didn't die for your sins so loath me as you wish.

My intro thread suggestion for the OP to go peddle his wares in Pyongyang still stands.

I feel led to remain here. Sorry you are not welcoming of that. I'm sorry the message rubs you the wrong way. But He has the words of eternal life.
(April 2, 2014 at 8:50 am)Revelation777 Wrote: If I, the messenger is flawed, I apologize, I'm a work in progress. But the message is one of truth, hope, and love.

The messenger requires a little more intellectual rigor, if he wants to be taken seriously here. Evidence, not just assertions.

And none of this "empty tomb" stuff which doesn't prove what you think it does, unless you already believe what you're seeking to prove. In fact, I'd stay away from apologists in general, since they've been rebutted more times than I can count.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(April 2, 2014 at 8:50 am)Revelation777 Wrote: If I, the messenger is flawed, I apologize, I'm a work in progress. But the message is one of truth, hope, and love.

I hardly find "Don't make me punish you for eternity" a message of hope and love, but your interpretation is precisely the kind of thing one would expect to hear from someone in an abusive relationship.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(March 28, 2014 at 10:39 pm)Revelation777 Wrote: We are reminded of this event every day. Not a day goes by where you don't hear His name mentioned, hear a song praising Him, drive by a church, see someone wearing a cross, or hear a verse from the Bible.

Jesus predicted His death and resurrection while He was alive. He tomb was empty on three days after His death. He appeared to His disciples. These men's lives were changed and God used them to change the world. Paul and 500 others have seen the risen Christ. The early church grew greatly even with terrible persecution speaks of the power of this Truth. Greatest evidence is the transformation of millions of lives of born again believers.

And this has nothing to do with where you live. A remote village in the Congo, same thing. Mormonism grew with terrible persecution too. What does that prove, again?

(March 29, 2014 at 2:57 pm)Revelation777 Wrote: His tomb is empty, that is enough for me.

What tomb? Where is it? When was it discovered? How do you know it's the right tomb?

These would all be reasonable questions if you had an actual tomb instead of just a story about one.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(April 2, 2014 at 8:53 am)Revelation777 Wrote: I feel led to remain here. Sorry you are not welcoming of that. I'm sorry the message rubs you the wrong way. But He has the words of eternal life.

The idiotic message I can ignore, it's the messenger who rubs me the wrong way.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
(April 2, 2014 at 8:50 am)Revelation777 Wrote:
(April 1, 2014 at 1:52 pm)ShaMan Wrote: Yes, it is odd how Christians misunderstand their own teachings. Shifty

Jesus preached loved but also had a strong word to those who opposed Him.

So he was a tyrant then, using a Machiavellian philosophy to scare those who don't believe in him (the majority of the world's current population) through threats of punishment?

Even lowly human ethics and morals realise that using a stick is far less effective than using a carrot.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
(March 28, 2014 at 10:39 pm)Revelation777 Wrote: We are reminded of this event every day. Not a day goes by where you don't hear His name mentioned, hear a song praising Him, drive by a church, see someone wearing a cross, or hear a verse from the Bible.

Jesus predicted His death and resurrection while He was alive. He tomb was empty on three days after His death. He appeared to His disciples. These men's lives were changed and God used them to change the world. Paul and 500 others have seen the risen Christ. The early church grew greatly even with terrible persecution speaks of the power of this Truth. Greatest evidence is the transformation of millions of lives of born again believers.

Jesus oh my loooord ok just kidding
(March 30, 2014 at 9:29 pm)Revelation777 Wrote: I look at it very differently. Satan, who was cast down from heaven and an enemy of God, has been working hard to keep people from believing the one means for us to be saved, Christ. So he has orchestrated similar stories from pagan religions so when the real thing happened it could be discredited by such skeptics as yourself. Imitation is the greatest flattery. However, the real Savior did stand up.

Poor devil. Only fictional character who can do something first and be framed as the one doing the imitating.
(April 2, 2014 at 12:26 pm)Fidel_Castronaut Wrote:
(April 2, 2014 at 8:50 am)Revelation777 Wrote: Jesus preached loved but also had a strong word to those who opposed Him.

So he was a tyrant then, using a Machiavellian philosophy to scare those who don't believe in him (the majority of the world's current population) through threats of punishment?

Even lowly human ethics and morals realise that using a stick is far less effective than using a carrot.

Aye. Religion taught Machiavelli much.

Quote:“it is much safer to be feared than loved because ...love is preserved by the link of obligation which, owing to the baseness of men, is broken at every opportunity for their advantage; but fear preserves you by a dread of punishment which never fails.”
― Niccolò Machiavelli, The Prince
(March 30, 2014 at 9:38 pm)Revelation777 Wrote: Where you there at the Big Bang?

No, but the evidence for it continutes to mount...and that's not the standard to which you're being held, anyway. Lack of evidence is exactly what we're calling you on.

You could have mounting evidence on your side, too. Maybe it will some day be discovered that some of those 500 witnesses wrote down their experience and had to hide their account from the Romans. Maybe it will be discovered that someone who wasn't a Gospel author noticed the sky darkening and an earthquake on a day that can be tied to the crucifixion. These are things we would expect if the events described actually occurred, just as we keep finding things we would expect if the Big Bang actually occurred.

(March 31, 2014 at 8:49 am)Revelation777 Wrote:
(March 31, 2014 at 7:46 am)truthBtold Wrote: Hahhahaa..

Why resort to mocking or insults?

Says the 'slime to human' and 'were you there?' guy.

(March 31, 2014 at 8:58 am)Revelation777 Wrote: God created it all. Yes, there was probably a lot of light and energy emitted at the time.

13.8 billion years ago according to the same science that let's us see it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I Bet "Jesus" Is Real Proud of These Shits Minimalist 34 6997 December 4, 2018 at 12:05 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Which Jesus is real? Silver 40 8974 August 9, 2017 at 11:52 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more. vorlon13 14 3360 August 1, 2017 at 2:54 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  lies, broken promises, racism : the real Jesus jenny1972 6 2102 November 4, 2015 at 3:23 pm
Last Post: jenny1972
  The Historical Reliability of the New Testament Randy Carson 706 127038 June 9, 2015 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Historical Easter Question for Minimalist thesummerqueen 26 8142 April 5, 2015 at 3:47 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  In Christianity, Does Jesus' Soul Have Anything To Do With Why Jesus Is God? JesusIsGod7 18 7675 October 7, 2014 at 12:58 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Mass grave discovered in an abandoned Catholic children's home. Esquilax 46 10105 June 11, 2014 at 1:57 pm
Last Post: Vox
  Jesus Would Role Over In His Grave Cinjin 7 2558 April 19, 2014 at 3:58 pm
Last Post: Confused Ape
  For People Who Think There Was No Historical Jesus Confused Ape 487 235955 May 11, 2013 at 4:40 pm
Last Post: Minimalist