Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 27, 2024, 11:47 am

Poll: Do you think the question "can something come from nothing" is a problem for atheism?
This poll is closed.
The question is meaningless
43.59%
17 43.59%
The question is meaningful, and No
30.77%
12 30.77%
The question is meaningful, and Yes
25.64%
10 25.64%
Total 39 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The following is not a question: Can something come from nothing?
RE: The following is not a question: Can something come from nothing?
Mind if I try your last two points substituting "how" for "why"?

(April 12, 2014 at 7:09 am)bennyboy Wrote: "We don't fully understand how the universe formed"
-a truthful (if somewhat obvious) statement of our current state of knowledge.

"We don't fully understand how the universe formed, yet."
-unscientific horseshit, which rebrands the scientific process as big-s Science, the institution full of wise elders who we must believe can solve our problems. Sounds a lot like church to me.

One of my pet peeves is using "why" where "how" will do.

I like the part I underlined very much by the way. There is something naive in the often assumed expectation that science will one day lay bear everything.
I'd like to ask some questions to those of you who know a lot about the Big Bang theory.
If time didn't exist before the Big Bang, does it exist beyond the boundaries of where the universe has expanded so far?
Beyond those boundaries, can another Big Bang occur?
If it could, would it have different rules and what would happen if two universes ever met?
I realise that these questions may show just how dumb I am about the subject, but I been wondering about it for a while. :-)
(April 12, 2014 at 7:16 am)whateverist Wrote: One of my pet peeves is using "why" where "how" will do.
You're right, and I guess you caught on that my use of "why" was deliberate, not coincidental. My reason for the word change is this: I think "how" questions imply a brute-force end that is equivalent to "shut up and stop asking."

How do I exist? Well, son, there are birds and bees, DNA, proteins, evolution, primordial soup. . . and there you go. How did the primordial soup exist? Well, son, there was a Big Bang and stars, and star deaths, and clouds of gas. . . and there you go. How did the Big Bang happen? Well, son, there's no how, because the Big Bang arose out of a condition in which even time did not exist. . .

Why do I exist? Well, son, there are birds and bees, DNA, proteins, evolution, primordial soup, dead stars, the Big Bang, and in the end, we still have no idea why any of it exists. No matter what we learn, son, there will always be another why to ask, even if we might not be able to answer it.
(April 12, 2014 at 9:58 am)bennyboy Wrote:
(April 12, 2014 at 7:16 am)whateverist Wrote: One of my pet peeves is using "why" where "how" will do.
You're right, and I guess you caught on that my use of "why" was deliberate, not coincidental. My reason for the word change is this: I think "how" questions imply a brute-force end that is equivalent to "shut up and stop asking."

How do I exist? Well, son, there are birds and bees, DNA, proteins, evolution, primordial soup. . . and there you go. How did the primordial soup exist? Well, son, there was a Big Bang and stars, and star deaths, and clouds of gas. . . and there you go. How did the Big Bang happen? Well, son, there's no how, because the Big Bang arose out of a condition in which even time did not exist. . .

Why do I exist? Well, son, there are birds and bees, DNA, proteins, evolution, primordial soup, dead stars, the Big Bang, and in the end, we still have no idea why any of it exists. No matter what we learn, son, there will always be another why to ask, even if we might not be able to answer it.

No, I'm missing it. If you admit you don't know whether the reason we exist at all is adequately accounted for by a how-answer, why choose to ask the why-question? It seems to me that the how question allows for the possibility that it was the intent of a cosmic genie, etc. But the why-question seems, to me at least, to carry the assumption of intent. Does this reflect your intent, or do we just have a semantic difference concerning the baggage entailed by the how-why decision?
(April 12, 2014 at 2:14 pm)whateverist Wrote: Does this reflect your intent, or do we just have a semantic difference concerning the baggage entailed by the how-why decision?
Hmmmm.

To my mind, "why" is purely a causal question, while "how" implies determinism. So "why" allows for idealism, divine creation, etc. as well as a physical cause, but "how" seems to insist that cosmogony fit into a particular world view.

But that could indeed just be semantics-- certainly, both words can be interpreted in various ways.
holy prick... I voted "Yes" as if the thread title was the question, but the question asked in the poll is different...

There should be a way to amend footnotes onto the poll, like "Poll Wrong. Most voters misunderstood."
(April 11, 2014 at 6:56 pm)bennyboy Wrote: A singularity is a very strange mathematical and philosophical beast. A true Big Bang-type singularity is essentially a non-conscious deity: existent but having no beginning, not created but having all existent things arise from it etc.

How so? Deities are by definition conscious beings. They act and have values. Further, by this logic I could say reality itself is a deity.

Further, the singularity is a large part of why we know the current Big Bang model is incomplete in some way, namely that General Relativity goes out the window resulting in infinities.

Quote:If there is something intrinsic to all matter that allows for some kind of consciousness, then I'd say a singularity is dangerously close to a Deity. I don't know how you'd ever determine at what level mind is matter, or supervenes on forms of matter, or kinds of matter, or only on specific kinds of information flow, etc. This is because we only know of one form, one kind of matter, and one kind of information flow that gives consciousness-- our own.
(April 12, 2014 at 9:38 pm)MindForgedManacle Wrote: How so? Deities are by definition conscious beings. They act and have values. Further, by this logic I could say reality itself is a deity.
The idea of God/gods serves many functions in the human psychology. One of these functions is to add meaning to things: why good people get sick and die, for example. This function requires a mind.

But the philosophy of cosmogeny is a little different-- in this case, the God is the "X factor," the magical quantity that by its very nature takes apparent paradoxes or things hard to understand, and resolves them. In short, it places an idea as a brute fact, so that the myriad details we don't understand don't have to be thought of as brute facts.

The former function requires mind-- a purposeful creator with a plan. But the latter purpose only requires a wrapping-together of infinite regression and the conciliation of finity, infinity and zero in one framework. I think the idea of a singularity serves this function at least as well as the idea of a God.
[/quote]
(April 11, 2014 at 3:51 pm)alpha male Wrote:
(April 11, 2014 at 3:44 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: I'm unconvinced that's the case. You're speaking of the existential beginning of a singularity that he appears to be saying never existed at all.
I think he's saying that the singularity existed, but that the physics concept of time did not coexist with it, hence time references to it are meaningless.

LL: Who's right?
For better or worse, you are right in what I'm describing.
(April 3, 2014 at 8:19 am)Alex K Wrote:

Ho, hum.

The question for me is how to unpick all the conflated ideas in this post. That's not a criticism, it's an observation.

The topic has wondered here and there, in and out of the Standard Model, which we know is not complete. There are varying schools of thought on this and it's fair to point out, or at least fair for Lee Smolin to point out in his frustrated rant against the individuals - who he claims prop up their pet theories by ensuring the establishments they hold authority over rally against competing theories - in his book 'The Trouble With Physics'. Well that's Theoretical Physics for ya, and it ensures the inertia of academia holds the impetuous whippersnappers of youth in their place and allows the consensual mind science to move at the speed of fog. But this is not new and it serves a purpose.

Next, how do you define 'nothing'? Are we talking a Quantum Vacuum, the popping candy-soup of fleeting quanta, or the absence of anything at all? The latter is effectively the broth of our popping candy-soup anyway.

How about time and space. We can't mention time without meaning space as well, they are one and the same thing, at least that's what Einstein tells us, and who are we to question. It is very possible (and some might even argue probable) that spacetime is an emergent property of quantum systems. There are now many theories that the spacetime geometry emerges from quantum systems, there are certainly those who claim the higher the energy of a quantum system the fewer special dimensions it has (which is why we experience light speed as a sort of Universal speed limit even though some observed phenomena defy this, spooky action at a distance springs to mind).

These theories certainly prop up some of the newer QLG Theory.

Because the complexity of the issues philosophers have left them pretty much alone. Most older philosophy use space and time as fundamental structures, it underlies many of our logical structures.

Without a doubt there is a philosophical debate to be had here, it's a fantastic idea to being to the forum, sadly it seems people have run to the structures they know best and not embraced the question.

For me the questions are, what are the implications for philosophy if;

1. The Universe and everything in it came from nothing (and will ultimately return to nothing)
2. Space and Time (and all attendant concepts such as causality) are not Universal constants but emergent properties

For me these are the questions that are imperative for philosophy, for centuries classical philosophy ran ahead of scientific philosophy, in this century scientific philosophy is leading classical philosophy by the nose. I personally think Deleuze is a great starting point for a decent philosophical debate on the matter (pun intended).

Anyone?

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is CS a science or engineering, or maybe something else? FlatAssembler 90 7925 November 6, 2023 at 7:48 am
Last Post: FlatAssembler
  Something from Nothing Banned 66 13059 March 7, 2018 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The argument against "evil", theists please come to the defense. Mystic 158 71946 December 29, 2017 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Everything is nothing, and nothing is everything. goombah111 64 10237 January 3, 2017 at 3:15 pm
Last Post: goombah111
  A question for those who believe truth is not absolute GrandizerII 92 10117 July 21, 2016 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: quip
  Is motion like the following? Mudhammam 27 4129 January 9, 2016 at 5:15 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  From where come your morals? urlawyer 33 5418 April 26, 2015 at 11:07 pm
Last Post: Silver
  Creatio Ex Nihilo - Forming Something out of Nothing? GrandizerII 70 13252 February 24, 2015 at 6:21 pm
Last Post: IATIA
  Why Something Rather Than Nothing? datc 249 35255 November 7, 2014 at 4:33 pm
Last Post: LostDays
  Something more. Mystic 20 3219 October 20, 2014 at 6:58 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam