Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 13, 2024, 9:45 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Argument #1: Transitional Fossils
RE: Argument #1: Transitional Fossils
(April 21, 2014 at 10:26 pm)Revelation777 Wrote: Thank you for the nice response. Check out this article
http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles...2/tetrapod

Seriously, you need to stop posting links to AiG, nobody considers them credible. They are conmen, and they are lying to you.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(April 21, 2014 at 11:22 am)Tonus Wrote:
(April 21, 2014 at 9:10 am)Revelation777 Wrote: The facts remain, fossils have been discovered to suddenly appear in the record without transition. This is what would be expected from intelligent design not macroevolution.
Not quite. What we would expect from the particular designer that you believe created it all is for all modern life forms to appear in exactly the same rock strata at the same time, or with very minor gaps (say... 24 hours). The fossil record most definitely does not show this.

I believe this explains it better than I can. http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles...sil-record

(April 21, 2014 at 11:24 am)downbeatplumb Wrote: Sea going mammals are a rather good example of how evolution can end up giving you a disadvantage because of the past route taken by your ancestors.

It is definitely a disadvantage for any creature that lives in the sea to not get its oxygen from the sea particularly when they some undertake epic dives and basically hold their breathe for 90 minutes. Any "intelligent designer" would have given sperm whales gills.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/scien...nutes.html

Who are we to tell God how He should of done things.
(April 21, 2014 at 10:35 pm)Revelation777 Wrote: Who are we to tell God how He should of done things.

I, for one, would be happy to give him pointers on how to correctly use infinite knowledge and power. Your god is an unimaginative dolt.

Edit: and goddamnit HAVE you fucking simpleton!
[Image: bbb59Ce.gif]

(September 17, 2015 at 4:04 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: I make change in the coin tendered. If you want courteous treatment, behave courteously. Preaching at me and calling me immoral is not courteous behavior.
(April 21, 2014 at 1:20 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
(April 21, 2014 at 12:38 pm)Chuck Wrote: Well, we should give awards proportional to achievement. Many are the christians whose idiocies are common, crude and earthly. In this one the idiocy has risen to be sublime and divine.

Could be done....

[Image: Horses-Butt-Loser-Trophy.jpg]

[Image: mfzCEsfC12k-nkxWA0kMmww.jpg]

[Image: butt-up-his-ass-award.jpg?w=645]

I hope some day you can evolve beyond insults, obscenities, and vulgarity. Angel Cloud

(April 21, 2014 at 11:25 am)Heywood Wrote:
(April 21, 2014 at 9:10 am)Revelation777 Wrote: Trilobites are an example of an organism appearing suddenly in the fossil record void of any evidence of transitions. Furthermore, trilobites have an organized complexity comparable to modern day invertebrates.

When evolution occurs, the rate at which a form changes is not constant. Sometimes changes in the form occur very rapidly and sometimes they occur very slowly. Trilobites appeared when evolution "settled" on a particular form.

Who or what decides this? Is evolution some sort of supreme being that says - ok, you turn into this then stop and you are gonna be this?

(April 21, 2014 at 12:25 pm)Chuck Wrote:
(April 21, 2014 at 12:03 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Nah...I knew from the start.

You can pretty reliably tell the degree of idiocy from the avatar. If the avatar consist of some air brushed fantasmgorical image presented with religious overtones, then right off the bat he is revealing himself to be pretty high on the idiocy scale.

So every one who has a religious avatar and/or believes in deity is an idiot?
Rev, are you deliberately ignoring all of us? Answers in Genesis is NOT A CREDIBLE SOURCE! They start from the conclusion that evolution cannot be true. That's where they start! How can they possibly approach anything in a scientific manner?

If you don't answer any other question on this thread, answer this one: Why do you keep posting links to a site that is intentional in it's lack of scientific approach, an expecting us to take it seriously?
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(April 21, 2014 at 10:39 pm)Revelation777 Wrote: Who or what decides this? Is evolution some sort of supreme being that says - ok, you turn into this then stop and you are gonna be this?

That's easy; the mutations are random, and you just kinda get what you're given, there. However, once you're out in the world, the environment around you and the context you find yourself in will determine whether those mutations are harmful, beneficial, or neither. If it's the latter two, you have a better chance of survival, and thus a better chance of reproducing and passing along those traits of yours that put you in that position.

If it's the first one, your chances of surviving and passing on those genes decreases, since you'll be dying a lot easier. Since only genes that get passed on are present in later generations, this simple interaction of environment and genome determines what your species will become down the line.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(April 21, 2014 at 10:39 pm)Revelation777 Wrote: I hope some day you can evolve beyond insults, obscenities, and vulgarity. Angel Cloud
It's not that we dislike you. We just want you to argue better (and use better grammar).

Quote:
(April 21, 2014 at 11:25 am)Heywood Wrote: When evolution occurs, the rate at which a form changes is not constant. Sometimes changes in the form occur very rapidly and sometimes they occur very slowly. Trilobites appeared when evolution "settled" on a particular form.

Who or what decides this? Is evolution some sort of supreme being that says - ok, you turn into this then stop and you are gonna be this?
The ecosystem. A species adapts to its environment. If the environment changes, the species either changes with it or dies off.
As humans, we are perhaps the only species that can flourish in a wide array of enviornments.
(April 21, 2014 at 2:27 pm)Stimbo Wrote: I'm waiting with breathless anticipation for the Moondust argument, the DNA-as-language canard, and the Empty Tomb desperate straw.

I have 6 more arguments, thanks for some ideas.

(April 21, 2014 at 3:47 pm)Chuck Wrote:
(April 21, 2014 at 3:43 pm)Cato Wrote: Not likely, he's too afraid of falling off.

[Image: flat-earth.jpg]

Come on, all bible believing Christians known the earth is at the center of the universe, where can you fall off to from there?

You might say about the person in whom you care the most for and love beyond words the "center of your universe." God chose this planet and his creation of man to be His center. Quite poetically beautiful.
(April 21, 2014 at 10:53 pm)Revelation777 Wrote:
(April 21, 2014 at 2:27 pm)Stimbo Wrote: I'm waiting with breathless anticipation for the Moondust argument, the DNA-as-language canard, and the Empty Tomb desperate straw.

I have 6 more arguments, thanks for some ideas.

Let's hope the source you are cribbing them from (Hi, AiG!) has something better. (*)

(*) They don't.
(April 21, 2014 at 3:44 pm)Crossless1 Wrote:
(April 21, 2014 at 3:42 pm)Revelation777 Wrote: Thank you for your responses. I will look at them this evening. =)

Better yet, why not read a book on the subject? Hell, everyone should read at least two damn books in their lives!

Part of the problem is that you have been duped by some of the books you read. Time to wake up and smell the Truth.