Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 29, 2024, 3:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Never compromise! / Christian persecution!
RE: Never compromise! / Christian persecution!
(June 2, 2014 at 1:05 pm)Esquilax Wrote:
(June 2, 2014 at 12:21 pm)Lek Wrote: It seems apparent to me that the political left deems everyone who disagrees with them as as hateful or prejudiced. If I think that someone else is going to hell, and I'm trying to keep them from doing that, then that means that I hate that person. Sounds like pretty poor reasoning to me.

Buddy, you worship a being that you think is going to send us to hell for not believing in him. Evidently, you think that this action is fair and just, as I've seen you argue before that god's actions are always just.

You clearly weren't paying attention when you read my post: if you actually think that it's fair for me to be tortured forever for not believing exactly the same thing that you do, then yes, you are being hateful. That is a hateful position to accept. The fact that you seem to not feel that hate to the point that you're confused as to why we'd think that tells me that you are probably just doing what I expect most other sane christians do too: you aren't thinking through the consequences of the beliefs your religion requires you to accept.

Because if you had, you'd understand why, from the outside, those are hateful beliefs.

Firstly, I'm not sure that hell is eternal, but whether it is or isn't, I don't hate people who I think might be going there. You're saying things about people that you don't know are true. I might know more about that than you do. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I probably spend more time with fundamentalist christians than you.
Never compromise! / Christian persecution!
(June 2, 2014 at 5:35 pm)Lek Wrote:
(June 2, 2014 at 1:05 pm)Esquilax Wrote: Buddy, you worship a being that you think is going to send us to hell for not believing in him. Evidently, you think that this action is fair and just, as I've seen you argue before that god's actions are always just.

You clearly weren't paying attention when you read my post: if you actually think that it's fair for me to be tortured forever for not believing exactly the same thing that you do, then yes, you are being hateful. That is a hateful position to accept. The fact that you seem to not feel that hate to the point that you're confused as to why we'd think that tells me that you are probably just doing what I expect most other sane christians do too: you aren't thinking through the consequences of the beliefs your religion requires you to accept.

Because if you had, you'd understand why, from the outside, those are hateful beliefs.

Firstly, I'm not sure that hell is eternal, but whether it is or isn't, I don't hate people who I think might be going there. You're saying things about people that you don't know are true. I might know more about that than you do. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I probably spend more time with fundamentalist christians than you.

Matthew 25:46
"Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."

2 Thessalonians 1:9
They will be punished with everlasting destruction and shut out from the presence of the Lord and from the majesty of his power.

Jude 1:7
In a similar way, Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding towns gave themselves up to sexual immorality and perversion. They serve as an example of those who suffer the punishment of eternal fire.

Matthew 25:41
"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.'"

Mark 9:43 - 9:48
43 And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:

44 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.

45 And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:

46 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.

47 And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire:

48 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.

Revelation 20:10
And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet [are], and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

[Image: 782.gif]

[Image: 961.gif]
(June 2, 2014 at 5:51 pm)Rampant.A.I. Wrote:
(June 2, 2014 at 5:35 pm)Lek Wrote: Firstly, I'm not sure that hell is eternal, but whether it is or isn't, I don't hate people who I think might be going there. You're saying things about people that you don't know are true. I might know more about that than you do. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I probably spend more time with fundamentalist christians than you.

Matthew 25:46
"Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."

2 Thessalonians 1:9
They will be punished with everlasting destruction and shut out from the presence of the Lord and from the majesty of his power.

Jude 1:7
In a similar way, Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding towns gave themselves up to sexual immorality and perversion. They serve as an example of those who suffer the punishment of eternal fire.

Matthew 25:41
"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.'"

Mark 9:43 - 9:48
43 And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:

44 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.

45 And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:

46 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.

47 And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire:

48 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.

Revelation 20:10
And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet [are], and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

[Image: 782.gif]

[Image: 961.gif]

The Greek word for eternal which has been translated here can also refer to an age or an indiscriminate period of time. Most of the other verses quoted refer to the fires of hell being eternal or everlasting, but not an individual's time there being everlasting. The final verse which you quoted says that the devil and the false prophet will be tormented forever, not everyone who goes there. There are two others views of hell which have also been held by the church. One is referred to as "christian universal reconciliation" and the other as "conditional immortality". Both views have as much or more biblical support as the "eternal torment' view and were held by early church fathers. The conditional immortality view says that unbelievers suffer in hell for an appropriate time and then are annihilated. The universal reconciliation view says that unbelievers suffer in hell for a time and eventually come to faith and are taken into heaven. In order to come to a conclusion on biblical doctrines it is necessary to take what is said in the bible as a whole before making a determination. That there is a hell is clearly stated, but length of time isn't as easy to determine.
(June 2, 2014 at 12:21 pm)Lek Wrote: It seems apparent to me that the political left deems everyone who disagrees with them as as hateful or prejudiced. If I think that someone else is going to hell, and I'm trying to keep them from doing that, then that means that I hate that person. Sounds like pretty poor reasoning to me.

Back when Christian majorities could simply kill or ruin those who didn't follow the right superstition, the primary concern of Christians regarding the afterlife of non-Christians was to get that afterlife started as soon as possible. "Concern" is the Christian method of gaining marketshare only now that they can't use weapons or legal persecution as often.

Nobody here wants your "help" because we know it's nothing of the sort.
(June 2, 2014 at 5:35 pm)Lek Wrote: Firstly, I'm not sure that hell is eternal, but whether it is or isn't, I don't hate people who I think might be going there. You're saying things about people that you don't know are true. I might know more about that than you do. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I probably spend more time with fundamentalist christians than you.

You still aren't listening: the position that anyone deserves hell, for any length of time, because they couldn't believe unbelievable things, is a hateful position. Sorry, but any degree of torture because you were right and how dare we not recognize it, is hateful.

But I have said, in every post since I started saying this, that you yourself, that sane christians, generally aren't being hateful. They just haven't thought through how awful and hateful this position that they accept is. By focusing on the wrong thing here, you're kind of confirming that.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
According to the New Testament book of Revelation souls spend the time until Judgment Day in one of three places: the sea; death; or hell. The good news is that all of those places are temporary. All of the souls will get out on Judgment Day and the souls will either get a room in the gaudy bejeweled golden cube called New Jerusalem or else they will be tossed into the lake of fire, where they will die. The sea, death, and hell will all be tossed into the lake of fire and will no longer exist. The giant golden cube will be on a new Earth where there will be no seas and everything will be in constant light. The golden cube will be surrounded by a high wall, probably to keep the inmates in since all of the bad souls will have been tossed into the lake of fire.

Just remember, even if you go to hell you will get out and you might make it into the golden cube. But if you get tossed into the lake of fire you will be free of hell and finally dead forever.

Based on the fairy tale is spending time in the sea or death better than being in hell? It seems that you are conscious if you spend time in hell. Even Jesus went to hell.

The Islamic version of hell is one of eternal punishment. When you go to the Islamic hell it's constant punishment of all kinds for eternity, such as getting your skin burned off and replaced and burned off again. People might be thinking about that hell of fire and brimstone instead of the more gentle Biblical hell.
(June 2, 2014 at 5:35 pm)Lek Wrote: Firstly, I'm not sure that hell is eternal, but whether it is or isn't, I don't hate people who I think might be going there.
I don't think you hate them either. I think your god does, if he is going to do such terrible things to them. I think that the people who then redirect the blame for this action upon the victims are being hateful, because to side with a torturer at the expense of his innocent victims is simply horrible.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Never-Ending and Quite Exasperating Debate We All Know of Leonardo17 25 983 8 hours ago
Last Post: Prycejosh1987
  Most People Insist That Two Separate Being Can Never Be One KerimF 86 5454 June 17, 2023 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 91806 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Truer Words Were Never Spoken Minimalist 9 2615 April 23, 2018 at 8:39 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Paul's "persecution" of the early Christians? Jehanne 134 15384 February 22, 2018 at 8:13 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Persecution Complex vulcanlogician 55 13471 January 3, 2018 at 9:29 am
Last Post: Joods
  [UK]Leader of the Lib Dems resigns claiming religious persecution Pat Mustard 14 5784 June 18, 2017 at 7:29 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Christians never murdered anybody mcolafson 22 3746 December 15, 2016 at 3:22 pm
  Pope decries gay marriage and advances Christian persecution complex Aroura 28 4098 February 22, 2016 at 12:03 pm
  What if Christianity never existed? 1994Californication 32 9135 January 15, 2016 at 3:40 pm
Last Post: Lemonvariable72