Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 20, 2024, 11:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So far...
RE: So far...
Quote:well, when you suck an asshole, your left with a shitty taste.

Clap
(June 12, 2014 at 11:45 am)Clueless Morgan Wrote:
(June 12, 2014 at 5:27 am)Jacob(smooth) Wrote: I guess I miss the sense of security which comes from believing there is a Plan. Praying for me was a bit like fight club. When it was over, nothing was resolved, but the problems seemed smaller.

If prayer was a coping mechanism you used to make your problems seem more manageable (by making them seem smaller), it sounds like you need to find a new coping mechanism.

Or at least a personal assistant.

(June 12, 2014 at 3:53 pm)Jacob(smooth) Wrote: The premise, God, was a lie. But the comfort it offered was real. Real comfort from an untrue belief.

Make sense?

Absolutely. No way. Not sure. Huh?
(June 12, 2014 at 3:53 pm)Jacob(smooth) Wrote: The premise, God, was a lie. But the comfort it offered was real. Real comfort from an untrue belief.

Make sense?

I'm afraid not, because if you used to believe that God was a lie, then that means that you didn't actually believe in God, and thus you weren't a Christian as you claimed to be, nor a theist, for that matter.

Also, I think it is psychologically impossible that you are able to feel real comfort in "believing" in something which you think is a lie. That just doesn't go together.
Ray, that's why he's in trouble, now.
Back then, he believed and felt the comfort of that belief.
Now, he doesn't believe and can't come back to that comfort.
(June 12, 2014 at 5:09 pm)pocaracas Wrote: Ray, that's why he's in trouble, now.
Back then, he believed and felt the comfort of that belief.
Now, he doesn't believe and can't come back to that comfort.

THINK YOU!

This.
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
Yes, I think! Tongue
I have to agree with Morgan - you've been accustomed to having a coping mechanism that you no longer can depend on. Have you thought about seeing a psychologist? It's not an uncommon problem.
I remember when I deconverted officially in my heart, it was only a few months before Christmas. My family asked me if I even was going to celebrate Christmas and I said, "Why wouldn't I?". To this day I have little angel things in my house; after hiding them for awhile I came to the realization that 'I love Angels!'. I'm still me. I don't have to be anyone but me. When I think about the kids I live with, the little girls inner torment about demons and the need for Real angels--suffices to solidify in my mind how free I finally am. Protector angels are a lovely concept when you don't attach all the mindfuck to it.

I think my point with this was that you should keep your chin up, because your path has only just begun and its a little rocky at first.
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]
(June 12, 2014 at 5:09 pm)pocaracas Wrote: Back then, he believed and felt the comfort of that belief.

But he just said that he believed that God was a lie (a "comforting lie" but still a lie), and that's why I don't see how that constitutes a genuine belief in God.

That's what I was getting at.
(June 12, 2014 at 5:45 pm)Rayaan Wrote:
(June 12, 2014 at 5:09 pm)pocaracas Wrote: Back then, he believed and felt the comfort of that belief.

But he just said that he believed that God was a lie (a "comforting lie" but still a lie), and that's why I don't see how that constitutes a genuine belief in God.

That's what I was getting at.

No, I now believe God to be a lie. Back in the day I didn't.
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2351 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Are the far right Christians here in the U.S. just upset they're losing power GoHalos1993 52 8574 June 9, 2016 at 3:42 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Some theists are just to far gone dyresand 36 8206 June 7, 2015 at 11:35 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Rad, ladies... far out. Mudhammam 4 1202 February 11, 2015 at 12:51 am
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Pleasure is far superior to mere intelligence Mozart Link 15 3242 August 1, 2014 at 3:39 am
Last Post: Violet
  Faith - Can it Go Too Far? diffidus 18 4074 June 20, 2011 at 3:27 pm
Last Post: MilesTailsPrower