Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 14, 2024, 4:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Evolution Facts
RE: Evolution Facts
Alright, I think I have pretty well explained the "without exception" part of the argument and provided why every "exception" has a viable evolutionary explanation but it seems I am being ignored. If you are just looking for the occasional oddity without digging further into the reasons behind it, I have to stop here. This seems pointless.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. "
(July 17, 2014 at 3:06 pm)alpha male Wrote: Er, consensus tree of life had the nervous system evolving once, after sponges. New DNA study suggests nervous system developed twice, or developed prior to sponges and sponges subsequently lost nerves and muscles. Either way, existing tree of life not confirmed.

Serious question: what is it you think you're proving, here? Because I don't think that anybody is claiming that we're in possession of all of the facts at all times. Nobody is claiming omniscience here; these revisions you're talking about is just learning, simple as that. Do you have a problem with learning?

More importantly, what is it that you want to happen? Would you prefer that we find new evidence in our studies and then don't update the references to reflect that? Wouldn't you then be telling us all about the incorrect models that biology still supports?

At any given time, a scientific theory represents the best current facts at our disposal. That's not a limitation, it's a simple consequence of being temporal beings who want to be accurate: we can't have it reflect facts we don't yet know, and it'd be foolish to reflect past facts that have been superseded. You can't just spin this as though the current tree of life is unconfirmed, because that isn't true: it's confirmed according to all the currently available evidence. This "if you don't know for certain, you don't know at all," nonsense is the "99 percent equals 0 percent" fallacy, and it's the domain of the presuppositionalist knuckleheads too. Let's not go there.

ETA: And yes, John, I agree with you that "without exception" may be overstating the case, but I just took it as simple hyperbole and moved on in the knowledge that by and large, the tree of life is confirmed. It seems to me a silly thing to get caught up on.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(July 18, 2014 at 4:16 am)Esquilax Wrote: Serious question: what is it you think you're proving, here?
That "DNA Sequencing has confirmed the tree of life without exception" is a false statement.
(July 18, 2014 at 8:07 am)alpha male Wrote:
(July 18, 2014 at 4:16 am)Esquilax Wrote: Serious question: what is it you think you're proving, here?
That "DNA Sequencing has confirmed the tree of life without exception" is a false statement.

we also need to understand that the genes dictate where the species fits, not where we think by looking at features.
Give me one example where it's way out!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(July 18, 2014 at 8:07 am)alpha male Wrote: That "DNA Sequencing has confirmed the tree of life without exception" is a false statement.
No, it isn't: unless you need it to be, which you do - desperately.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(July 18, 2014 at 9:15 am)Rhythm Wrote:
(July 18, 2014 at 8:07 am)alpha male Wrote: That "DNA Sequencing has confirmed the tree of life without exception" is a false statement.
No, it isn't: unless you need it to be, which you do - desperately.

I couldn't care less!
please correct me! (I need to know, really!)
cheers.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(July 18, 2014 at 8:16 am)ignoramus Wrote: we also need to understand that the genes dictate where the species fits, not where we think by looking at features.
Give me one example where it's way out!
I was wondering when someone was going to make this blatantly circular argument.

(July 18, 2014 at 9:20 am)ignoramus Wrote: I couldn't care less!
please correct me! (I need to know, really!)
cheers.
I have. I've shown some exceptions. It's pretty easy to do.
ANYways.. More cool shit.

Wolffish
(Anarhichas lupus)
Antifreeze Production - Type III Antifreeze

Seals'ancient ancestor found!

[Image: 090422-seal-evolution-missing-link_big.jpg]

A newfound, flipperless prehistoric seal (at top in an artist's conception) is the first concrete link between the land ancestors of pinnipeds (seals, sea lions, and walruses) and modern ocean-going, flippered pinnipeds, such as the California sea lion (bottom), an April 2009 study says.
Many marine mammals, such as whales and manatees, are believed to have roots on land—an idea that originated with Charles Darwin 150 years ago.

But hard evidence for land-to-water evolution in seals and other pinnipeds was lacking until the new discovery—aptly named Puijila darwini ("Darwin's young marine mammal" in an amalgamation of an Inuit language and Latin).

"We know that some sort of land-dwelling ancestor existed, but how did we get to the fully marine form?" asked Rybczynski, a vertebrate paleontologist with the Canadian Museum of Nature.
More..

New genetic research says that without a doubt: Whales, cattle, deer, hippos, dolphins all related.

[Image: _40756543_whale_bbc_203.jpg]

Whale and hippo 'close cousins'

[Image: _40756421_hip_ap_203ap.jpg]
A water-loving mammal that lived 50 to 60 million years ago was probably the "missing link" between whales and hippos, according to a new analysis.

Biologists have argued over the relationship between hippos and whales for a period of almost 200 years.

The findings come from an analysis of features in different animal groups carried [out by a US-French team.

Their report is published in the science journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]
(July 16, 2014 at 2:00 am)Esquilax Wrote:
(July 15, 2014 at 10:59 pm)alexwenzel Wrote: I have seen and read it all. I use to be an atheist. Surprised?

Right, so if you know all this then you should have no problem going back to page five, reading my posts there where I respond to you and post sources that show that all of your claims are demonstrably wrong to such a degree that you've mislabelled basic concepts and said things don't exist when we have evidence that they do, and admit that you were wrong.

Or was the reason you stopped being an atheist that you decided honesty wasn't for you? Dodgy

I refuse. I could be putting other posts and links and then you will put another one and will go on forever. Proof of a intelligent designer is out there, just have to look for and use your common sense. Its called evolution theory for a reason. Its only a theory and what they claim to be proof are full of holes and lies.
(July 22, 2014 at 10:01 pm)alexwenzel Wrote:
(July 16, 2014 at 2:00 am)Esquilax Wrote: Right, so if you know all this then you should have no problem going back to page five, reading my posts there where I respond to you and post sources that show that all of your claims are demonstrably wrong to such a degree that you've mislabelled basic concepts and said things don't exist when we have evidence that they do, and admit that you were wrong.

Or was the reason you stopped being an atheist that you decided honesty wasn't for you? Dodgy

I refuse. I could be putting other posts and links and then you will put another one and will go on forever. Proof of a intelligent designer is out there, just have to look for and use your common sense. Its called evolution theory for a reason. Its only a theory and what they claim to be proof are full of holes and lies.

The "it's just a theory" argument from ignorance.

Once again a creationist either doesn't know what theory means in a scientific setting, or just refuses to acknowledge the difference between a scientific theory and use of the word in common usage. Or, just as likely as I've encountered with many creationists, just too dishonest to accept it.

And refuses to put forth the requested evidence and just responds with more claims.

*Yawn*.

Can we move on now?
Dying to live, living to die.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What testing do science based facts get through to be validated? I believe in Harry Potter 27 2931 November 15, 2019 at 12:35 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  More Facts For Creatards to Choke On Minimalist 11 4030 January 17, 2015 at 8:37 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Facts about Darwin: psychological and mental illnesses king krish 48 7394 January 13, 2015 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Global warming, facts pls Natachan 31 4674 August 13, 2014 at 1:06 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Science Facts Thread Rayaan 2 1204 July 15, 2013 at 9:27 pm
Last Post: Tea Earl Grey Hot
  I need facts for evolution. manno 26 6189 October 4, 2012 at 10:17 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  CREATARDS BEWARE - THIS THREAD CONTAINS FACTS Minimalist 3 3626 July 16, 2012 at 11:13 pm
Last Post: Angrboda