Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 30, 2024, 9:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christians. Could you be wrong?
RE: Christians. Could you be wrong?
(August 4, 2014 at 10:18 am)Drich Wrote:
(August 4, 2014 at 9:40 am)FatAndFaithless Wrote: Pretty typical Christian justification..

"Seek and ye shall find"

"I tried...didn't find God"

"You didn't do it right"

Because obviously the problem is with the seeker, and not the fact that we don't hear the same sky-vocies you do.
Noope.

Read what I said again. To ask seek knock as out lined in luke 11 is a three part exercise. God does not say ask and seek and I will come running. He takes the time to come up with a parable that includes knocking. Knocking in His parable is the key to the whole thing. I have no doubt that most of you who have ask and sought did so earnestly. Even so you all will be the first to admit that you did not stick around to complete the knocking portion of Christ's command.

If God tells you to do ABC and He will give you 123, is it reasonable to expect 123 if you only did AB?

Alright, I just spent some time doing ABC. I've still got nothing from any God. What happens now?
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(August 4, 2014 at 10:55 am)FatAndFaithless Wrote:
(August 4, 2014 at 10:18 am)Drich Wrote: Noope.

Read what I said again. To ask seek knock as out lined in luke 11 is a three part exercise. God does not say ask and seek and I will come running. He takes the time to come up with a parable that includes knocking. Knocking in His parable is the key to the whole thing. I have no doubt that most of you who have ask and sought did so earnestly. Even so you all will be the first to admit that you did not stick around to complete the knocking portion of Christ's command.

If God tells you to do ABC and He will give you 123, is it reasonable to expect 123 if you only did AB?

Alright, I just spent some time doing ABC. I've still got nothing from any God. What happens now?

Keep doing it until you delude yourself that the voices in your head are that god bloke.

Failing that, try some other self-fulfilling mumbo-jumbo until you get the desired effect.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
I'm pretty sure you get your money back.
then we agree on all accounts. Most people are nice.

I was addressing Your "typical Christian" comment mainly. That statement is wrong weather you have met more or less. If this is your true view, then you're the one that has to adjust because it is stupid. To hide behind '... that I met ..." is childish. again, from a different angle it is bullshit. Go met more people before you speak.

The point ... the "typical Christian" is not what you claim. And the "typical Christian's" has the same doubts and fears as the typical atheists. Because people are people. Unless you can show differently. then we can start talking about irrational people and the causes. But of course that would also point to "typical people" and not "typical this color" or "typical that belief". It would also lead us away from any racist behavior.

Let's do a common sense test.
1) Most Christian understand they could be wrong. They are just trying to do the best they can. But there are plenty of assholes too.
Or
2) thacracker's: Most Christians KNOW that they are right and everybody else is wrong. Christians do not operate all like a regular human being.
(August 1, 2014 at 6:30 pm)Amalynne0 Wrote: I'm not sure its safe to ever be in a position where "nothing" could change one's mind.
We almost never are. I think our minds are wired to pretend that we're convinced that whatever we believe is the absolute truth and that nothing could change that. Yet we change our minds about stuff all the time, and occasionally we undergo some pretty radical changes in our core beliefs that can shake us up.

In other words: yes, we can be wrong. No, we don't think we are.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(August 4, 2014 at 11:59 am)archangle Wrote: then we agree on all accounts. Most people are nice.

I was addressing Your "typical Christian" comment mainly. That statement is wrong weather you have met more or less. If this is your true view, then you're the one that has to adjust because it is stupid. To hide behind '... that I met ..." is childish. again, from a different angle it is bullshit. Go met more people before you speak.

The point ... the "typical Christian" is not what you claim. And the "typical Christian's" has the same doubts and fears as the typical atheists. Because people are people. Unless you can show differently. then we can start talking about irrational people and the causes. But of course that would also point to "typical people" and not "typical this color" or "typical that belief". It would also lead us away from any racist behavior.

1) Most Christian understand they could be wrong. They are just trying to do the best they can. But there are plenty of assholes too.
Or
2) thacracker's: Most Christians KNOW that they are right and everybody else is wrong. Christians do not operate all like a regular human being.

Non sequitur. What I said was typical of christians was "either/or" (or call it "black/white" thinking. I made no comment having to do with their perceptions of whether they're right or with "niceness." It seems you just want to take offense.
(August 4, 2014 at 3:13 pm)Thackerie Wrote:
(August 4, 2014 at 11:59 am)archangle Wrote: then we agree on all accounts. Most people are nice.

Or

Non sequitur. What I said was typical of christians was "either/or" (or call it "black/white" thinking. I made no comment having to do with their perceptions of whether they're right or with "niceness." It seems you just want to take offense.

I am always having to say "yes, but not one of those kind." Because of stupid comments like this.

the typical Christian is not black and white only thinking. Period. The typical Christian is like the typical person anywhere. It is independent of belief. Unless of course you can prove that "belief" system determines the personality type. you will be the first.
(August 4, 2014 at 10:55 am)FatAndFaithless Wrote:
(August 4, 2014 at 10:18 am)Drich Wrote: Noope.

For crap sake read the story. What happened when the neighbor did not get the bread he wanted, what did he do?
Went somewhere else? Bought a different brand? Had toast instead?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(August 4, 2014 at 10:40 am)Stimbo Wrote: There is a simpler explanation that fits the known facts: there may be nothing to be found. You have to consider that possibility; anything else is cherrypicking.

What makes you think their is nothing to be found? Because you found nothing? The possibility that nothing exists ceases to be a possibility when one finds what he is looking for. I found God. Is it time for another Spider-Man esque origins reboot? Surely for as much fun as you had last time you should know for me their is no other possible explanation for God than God. Or rather their is no better proof for God than God. A/S/k is a promise by God to receive a measure of God to guide and direct you to the relationship He has offered all of us.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is this a contradiction or am I reading it wrong? Genesis 5:28 Ferrocyanide 110 11078 April 10, 2023 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  If you could rid the world... FredTheLobster 33 3683 June 29, 2021 at 11:02 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  They're going to be chanting to the wrong God. brewer 32 2953 March 17, 2021 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 8353 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
  Could I sue my religion over this? Won2blv 21 3474 October 8, 2017 at 8:18 am
  Could God's creation be like His omniscience? Whateverist 19 6102 May 18, 2017 at 2:45 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Another "how could any intelligent woman be a Christian?" thread drfuzzy 17 2927 September 14, 2016 at 10:19 pm
Last Post: Cecelia
  Christians, would you have saved Jesus, if you had he chance? Simon Moon 294 38545 July 2, 2016 at 11:23 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Why do Christians become Christians? SteveII 168 32727 May 20, 2016 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Christians. Prove That You Are Real/True Christians Nope 155 53434 September 1, 2015 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho