Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 30, 2024, 9:32 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christians. Could you be wrong?
RE: Christians. Could you be wrong?
(September 17, 2014 at 8:02 pm)Huggy74 Wrote: Hold up.... so you're saying that science is based upon the "best guess for now"? No proof is required then? So if the best guess for how the universe was created is God (which has never been disproven), why don't you accept this scientific method? Thinking

"Best Guess" is not the best way to phrase what the scientific method leads to.

Science observes and records facts. Facts are actually easy to come by.

Once a set of facts are observed, science then comes up with the best explanation for the facts. The explanation of the facts is the most important thing science does. Best explanation given current facts, is a better way to put it.

Maybe the best guess for the formation of stars are giant, galactic, invisible penguins that craps out stars? After all, giant, galactic, invisible star shitting penguins have never been disproven, right?

You REALLY need to read a bit about basic logic. Specifically the burden of proof. Because you suck at it.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
(September 17, 2014 at 8:14 pm)Stimbo Wrote:
(September 17, 2014 at 8:02 pm)Huggy74 Wrote: Hold up.... so you're saying that science is based upon the "best guess for now"? No proof is required then? So if the best guess for how the universe was created is God (which has never been disproven), why don't you accept this scientific method? Thinking

Look up the difference between "proof" and "evidence".

While you're about it, check out what the scientific method has to say about the burden of proof. (Yes, I recognise how contradictory that sounds. I didn't choose the language. Had I been consulted, I daresay it would have a much better name.)

Here you go, from dictionary.com

evidence
1.that which tends to prove or disprove something; ground for belief; proof.
Very good. Now give the rest of the citations.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(September 17, 2014 at 8:26 pm)Simon Moon Wrote:

"Best Guess" is not the best way to phrase what the scientific method leads to.

Science observes and records facts. Facts are actually easy to come by.

Once a set of facts are observed, science then comes up with the best explanation for the facts. The explanation of the facts is the most important thing science does. Best explanation given current facts, is a better way to put it.

Maybe the best guess for the formation of stars are giant, galactic, invisible penguins that craps out stars? After all, giant, galactic, invisible star shitting penguins have never been disproven, right?

You REALLY need to read a bit about basic logic. Specifically the burden of proof. Because you suck at it.

I'ts obvious you guys don't detect the sarcasm in my reply to FatAndFaithless,. I guess the emoticon wasn't enough. You should be explaining the scientific method to him, since he's the one that made the statement.
(September 17, 2014 at 8:41 pm)Huggy74 Wrote: I'ts obvious you guys don't detect the sarcasm in my reply to FatAndFaithless,. I guess the emoticon wasn't enough.
Welcome to my world.
[Image: 4fd9f2d3.gif]
In my opinion, anyone who thinks they are 100% certain of anything is deluded. It's impossible.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Are you 100% certain of that?
[/eric_hovind]
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Certainly not Tongue
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos

What makes something the BEST guess is that it's got the most evidence in its favor. God is just a guess.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
There's a difference between a guess and an estimate.

Index of my best videos

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is this a contradiction or am I reading it wrong? Genesis 5:28 Ferrocyanide 110 11078 April 10, 2023 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  If you could rid the world... FredTheLobster 33 3683 June 29, 2021 at 11:02 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  They're going to be chanting to the wrong God. brewer 32 2953 March 17, 2021 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 8353 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
  Could I sue my religion over this? Won2blv 21 3474 October 8, 2017 at 8:18 am
  Could God's creation be like His omniscience? Whateverist 19 6102 May 18, 2017 at 2:45 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Another "how could any intelligent woman be a Christian?" thread drfuzzy 17 2927 September 14, 2016 at 10:19 pm
Last Post: Cecelia
  Christians, would you have saved Jesus, if you had he chance? Simon Moon 294 38545 July 2, 2016 at 11:23 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Why do Christians become Christians? SteveII 168 32727 May 20, 2016 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Christians. Prove That You Are Real/True Christians Nope 155 53434 September 1, 2015 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho