Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 29, 2024, 6:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christians. Could you be wrong?
RE: Christians. Could you be wrong?
(September 23, 2014 at 1:38 pm)C4RM5 Wrote: No I have gone through most of the Bible stories, it is just the first time reading them in order from start to finish.

No I haven't read any books that you have listed for two reasons, I have never come across any and I want to build my faith up not read this time of books until I have at least finidhed my read oc the Bible.

Yet you've already come to the conclusion that your faith is correct. But you are concerned with truth. Riiiiiiight.

Quote:No, I am not being emotional, my life would have no point and I would feel lost.

Drama queen is dramatic.
(September 23, 2014 at 1:38 pm)C4RM5 Wrote: No I have gone through most of the Bible stories, it is just the first time reading them in order from start to finish.

No I haven't read any books that you have listed for two reasons, I have never come across any and I want to build my faith up not read this time of books until I have at least finidhed my read oc the Bible.

No, I am not being emotional, my life would have no point and I would feel lost.

(September 23, 2014 at 1:32 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: I meant, would you then stop believing in a God, if you saw compelling evidence that suggested there is no God?
No because I believe him to be true no matter what.

There. You do not care if it's true or not. No matter what the evidence says, even if every single shred of discussion and investigation pointed to the opposite, even if every single Christian deconverted tomorrow and you were the only person on Earth that believed in your God, with mountains of proof against it...you'd still believe? Why? Wouldn't you want evidence for your beliefs?
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(September 23, 2014 at 1:43 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: No because I believe him to be true no matter what.

Then you must have some compelling reason to believe that. Is anyone else justified in believing for the same reason? If so, can you give what it is so it can be evaluated?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(September 23, 2014 at 1:43 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote:

No, I am not being emotional, my life would have no point and I would feel lost.

No because I believe him to be true no matter what.

There. You do not care if it's true or not. No matter what the evidence says, even if every single shred of discussion and investigation pointed to the opposite, even if every single Christian deconverted tomorrow and you were the only person on Earth that believed in your God, with mountains of proof against it...you'd still believe? Why? Wouldn't you want evidence for your beliefs?

If every Christian deconverted I would still believe in God. The reason for this is that I have no reason to doubt.

(September 23, 2014 at 1:48 pm)C4RM5 Wrote:
(September 23, 2014 at 1:43 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: There. You do not care if it's true or not. No matter what the evidence says, even if every single shred of discussion and investigation pointed to the opposite, even if every single Christian deconverted tomorrow and you were the only person on Earth that believed in your God, with mountains of proof against it...you'd still believe? Why? Wouldn't you want evidence for your beliefs?

If every Christian deconverted I would still believe in God. The reason for this is that I have no reason to doubt.

You didn't respond to the rest of my question.

Even if there was indisputable evidence against the existence of God, in every field and possible avenue of investigation, you would still believe.

As for 'reason to doubt', the hypothetical premise of my question is that we have the evidence that shows you are wrong. Why would you still believe.
- Thomas Jefferson
I have strong faith.

(September 23, 2014 at 1:48 pm)C4RM5 Wrote:
(September 23, 2014 at 1:43 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: There. You do not care if it's true or not. No matter what the evidence says, even if every single shred of discussion and investigation pointed to the opposite, even if every single Christian deconverted tomorrow and you were the only person on Earth that believed in your God, with mountains of proof against it...you'd still believe? Why? Wouldn't you want evidence for your beliefs?

OK, let's start with the utter lack of evidence for the existence of Yahweh. (I can type slower if you require)
(September 23, 2014 at 1:50 pm)C4RM5 Wrote: I have strong faith.

So you're saying that even if it was proven that God does not exist, proven to your standards that he doesn't exist, you would choose to believe in him?
- Thomas Jefferson
(September 23, 2014 at 1:50 pm)C4RM5 Wrote: I have strong faith.

. . . which would be in inverse proportion to your apparent rationality. Gotta be proud! Oh, and those reasons for your belief? Waiting . . .
I have strong faith that the Earth is flat and at the centre of the Universe. Nothing anyone can do or say will shake that faith. I would still believe it to be true even if you showed be incontrovertible proof otherwise.

See how open-minded that sounds? I'm not being an independent thinker or anything; I'm just being stubbornly, demonstrably, factually and fractally wrong.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is this a contradiction or am I reading it wrong? Genesis 5:28 Ferrocyanide 110 12728 April 10, 2023 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  If you could rid the world... FredTheLobster 33 4077 June 29, 2021 at 11:02 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  They're going to be chanting to the wrong God. brewer 32 3379 March 17, 2021 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 9712 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
  Could I sue my religion over this? Won2blv 21 3699 October 8, 2017 at 8:18 am
  Could God's creation be like His omniscience? Whateverist 19 6418 May 18, 2017 at 2:45 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Another "how could any intelligent woman be a Christian?" thread drfuzzy 17 3118 September 14, 2016 at 10:19 pm
Last Post: Cecelia
  Christians, would you have saved Jesus, if you had he chance? Simon Moon 294 42035 July 2, 2016 at 11:23 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Why do Christians become Christians? SteveII 168 35722 May 20, 2016 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Christians. Prove That You Are Real/True Christians Nope 155 55650 September 1, 2015 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho