Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 27, 2024, 7:31 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 2.88 Average
Where did the universe come from? Atheistic origin science has no answer.
RE: Where did the universe come from? Atheistic origin science has no answer.
So how can a book that was written 500Bc state that the world is a "globe" and "spherical" But this was only believed 100s of years later when it was mentioned by scientists after years of saying the world was flat.

Years ago scientists believed there was no beginning to the universe, it was always infinite, then 100s of years later they now confirm what the bible had always said, it had a beginning

How can something just create itself from nothingness?

An Expanding Universe:
The prophet Isaiah who lived almost 3,000 years ago stated

"It is He that . . . stretches out the heavens as a curtain, and spreads them out as a tent to dwell in." [40:22]

Scientists are beginning to understand that the universe is expanding, or stretching out. At least seven times the Scriptures clearly tell us that God stretches out the heavens like a curtain.

Ok i agree, the Bible uses words that you could all laugh at, but the words and how we describe things today will be laughable in 3000 years from now. Open your mind before you criticise, i believe in science, science is fact, but it doesn't disprove God? It supports it.

- See more at: http://www.inplainsite.org/html/scientif...yijxB.dpuf
Or conversely, the Bible refers to the Earth as a "circle," in which case the reference to the heavens has nothing to do with the expansion of the universe, and instead is meant more literally: the belief that the heavens were a canopy stretched over the flat circle of the Earth. Suddenly the statements sound a lot like what you presume most people believed at the time, and not some cryptic reference regarding the origins of the universe.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(October 21, 2014 at 12:06 pm)Believer Wrote: So how can a book that was written 500Bc state that the world is a "globe" and "spherical" But this was only believed 100s of years later when it was mentioned by scientists after years of saying the world was flat.

Fuck you, the book said "circle of the earth," not globe or sphere, don't lie. Additionally, there is evidence to suggest that some knowledge of the earth's true shape was possessed by cultures at around the time that the bible was written, using observations rather than god magic.

Quote:Years ago scientists believed there was no beginning to the universe, it was always infinite, then 100s of years later they now confirm what the bible had always said, it had a beginning

Best quit misrepresenting science then, because the big bang merely represents a change in state to our current universe, not the beginning of one. Maybe know what you're talking about, before shooting off your mouth? Dodgy

Quote:How can something just create itself from nothingness?

You're right, how did god do that? Thinking

Quote:An Expanding Universe:

"It is He that . . . stretches out the heavens as a curtain, and spreads them out as a tent to dwell in." [40:22]

Scientists are beginning to understand that the universe is expanding, or stretching out. At least seven times the Scriptures clearly tell us that God stretches out the heavens like a curtain.

I don't find retrofitting bible verses to be a very fun game. Is there any indication from any christian scholar or source that they knew the universe was expanding before science discovered this? I mean, that's what you would expect if this bible verse so clearly indicates what you say it does, right?

Also, don't pretend for a second that if scientists discovered that the universe was actually contracting tomorrow, you wouldn't turn on a fucking dime and find bible passages to confirm that, too. Dodgy

Quote:Ok i agree, the Bible uses words that you could all laugh at, but the words and how we describe things today will be laughable in 3000 years from now. Open your mind before you criticise, i believe in science, science is fact, but it doesn't disprove God? It supports it.

Depends on how willing to bend over backwards to make the two compatible you are. I, however, am not nearly so credulous or dishonest to do so.

Hey, mind telling me why the bible mentions the "four corners of the earth," in Isaiah, if it knew the earth was round, while we're at it?
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(October 21, 2014 at 12:06 pm)Believer Wrote: So how can a book that was written 500Bc state that the world is a "globe" and "spherical" But this was only believed 100s of years later when it was mentioned by scientists after years of saying the world was flat.

Others have covered the problems with what you say the Bible says. I'll take on the claim that no scientist in the five and six hundreds following the OT knew the earth was round:

The Greeks formulated the idea that the earth was spherical in the 6th to 5th centuries B.C.

Quote: Pythagoras (6th century BC) was among those said to have originated the idea, but this may reflect the ancient Greek practice of ascribing every discovery to one or another of their ancient wise men. Some idea of the sphericity of the Earth seems to have been known to both Parmenides and Empedocles in the 5th century BC,and although the idea cannot reliably be ascribed to Pythagoras, it may, nevertheless have been formulated in the Pythagorean school in the 5th century BC although some disagree.[14] After the 5th century BC, no Greek writer of repute thought the world was anything but round.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spherical_Earth

Plato simply takes the spherical nature of the earth for grant it. Aristole provides reasons for thinking it so:

Quote:Aristotle provided physical and observational arguments supporting the idea of a spherical Earth:

Every portion of the Earth tends toward the center until by compression and convergence they form a sphere.
Travelers going south see southern constellations rise higher above the horizon; and
The shadow of Earth on the Moon during a lunar eclipse is round.

By about 240 BC the Greeks had done better than observe the earth is round, Eratosthenes, estimated Earth's circumference with an error of only about 5-15%. He used trigonometry, not scripture.

The Greeks didn't keep this knowledge to themselves either. Pliny (23-79 AD) and Cicero (106-47 BC) both refer to the round earth as a matter of common knowledge.

Nor is this only a Western bit on knowledge:

Quote:The works of the classical Indian astronomer and mathematician, Aryabhatta (476-550 AD), deal with the sphericity of the Earth and the motion of the planets. The final two parts of his Sanskrit magnum opus, the Aryabhatiya, which were named the Kalakriya ("reckoning of time") and the Gol ("sphere"), state that the Earth is spherical and that its circumference is 4,967 yojanas. In modern units this is 39,968 km (24,835 mi), close to the current equatorial value of 40,075 km (24,901 mi).

It is a myth that most people thought the earth was flat at the time of Columbus. Columbus proposed that the earth was smaller than previously thought. He was wrong, and if North and South America hadn't been in the way, he'd have died trying to reach India.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
Anyone who identifies himself as "Beliver" rather than as so and so who just happen to also believe is unlikely to benefit from any manner or degree of enlightenment.

Wrong on both counts. The bible says the earth was flat - as expected from bronze-age goat-herders. Hellenistic astronomers, on the other hand, had figured out that the earth was spherical around 500 bc.

(October 21, 2014 at 12:06 pm)Believer Wrote: Years ago scientists believed there was no beginning to the universe, it was always infinite, then 100s of years later they now confirm what the bible had always said, it had a beginning

Scientists believed there was no beginning to the universe? Where do you get that?

Universe having a beginning is a part and parcel of most religions and a lot of other religions model the actual facts better than Christianity. For example, Hindu cosmology comes closest in terms of modelling and timelines - it posits an unmanifested, atemporal seed containing all the mass of the current universe started expanding billions of years ago.

(October 21, 2014 at 12:06 pm)Believer Wrote: How can something just create itself from nothingness?

How can anything create anything from nothingness? Magic?

(October 21, 2014 at 12:06 pm)Believer Wrote: An Expanding Universe:

An extremely poor equivocation - tents and curtains don't expand. If your Isaiah was was positing expanding universe, then he should've compared it to something that actually expands.

(October 21, 2014 at 12:06 pm)Believer Wrote: Ok i agree, the Bible uses words that you could all laugh at, but the words and how we describe things today will be laughable in 3000 years from now. Open your mind before you criticise, i believe in science, science is fact, but it doesn't disprove God? It supports it.

We laugh at your pathetic attempts to re-interpret the bible.
(October 21, 2014 at 12:06 pm)Believer Wrote: Ok i agree, the Bible uses words that you could all laugh at, but the words and how we describe things today will be laughable in 3000 years from now. Open your mind before you criticise, i believe in science, science is fact, but it doesn't disprove God? It supports it.

Nope. Not even close.

(October 21, 2014 at 12:06 pm)Believer Wrote: Ok i agree, the Bible uses words that you could all laugh at, but

Oh, we do .. we do!
You know, they really could have delivered a much more precise and unmistakable description using the words at their disposal. But since this knowledge comes from God (that's your whole point, no?) why should the writers be so limited in this manner at all?

Concerning the "how can something create itself from nothingness?" - why do you even think this is an argument for your position? I don't get it.

Years ago scientists believed there was no beginning to the universe, it was always infinite, then 100s of years later they now confirm what the bible had always said, it had a beginning

How can something just create itself from nothingness?

An Expanding Universe:

Ok i agree, the Bible uses words that you could all laugh at, but the words and how we describe things today will be laughable in 3000 years from now. Open your mind before you criticise, i believe in science, science is fact, but it doesn't disprove God? It supports it.

- See more at: http://www.inplainsite.org/html/scientif...yijxB.dpuf
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(October 21, 2014 at 12:06 pm)Believer Wrote: An Expanding Universe:

"It is He that . . . stretches out the heave

Yeah, the Bible also repeatedly mentions "the firmament", so, there's that.

There's no reason to believe that the Jews from 2,700 years ago actually understood anything about the universe and how the earth is situated in it. There's certainly no reason to believe that Almighty God was revealing bits and pieces of it in ways that couldn't be fully understood for two thousand more years.
The fuzzy language and the uncertainty of its predictions are just an allegory for quantum mechanics. It's all there!
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debunk the divine origin LinuxGal 35 3193 October 9, 2023 at 7:31 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Where does the belief that seeds die before they turn into a living plant come from? FlatAssembler 17 1726 August 3, 2023 at 10:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Age of the Universe/Earth Ferrocyanide 31 4683 January 8, 2020 at 10:06 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  questions Christians can't answer Fake Messiah 23 3510 October 15, 2019 at 6:27 pm
Last Post: Acrobat
  Good Christians only may answer... Gawdzilla Sama 58 11364 September 18, 2018 at 3:22 pm
Last Post: Bob Kelso
  No-one under 25 in iceland believes god created the universe downbeatplumb 8 1983 August 19, 2018 at 7:55 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Christians: Why does the answer have to be god? IanHulett 67 16241 April 5, 2018 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Josh McDowell and the "atheistic" Internet Jehanne 43 7228 February 8, 2018 at 1:32 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Supernatural denial, atheistic hypocrisy? Victory123 56 10918 February 1, 2018 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  Miracles in Christianity - how to answer KiwiNFLFan 89 20669 December 24, 2017 at 3:16 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer