Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 4, 2024, 7:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MERGED: The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ (Part 1) & (Part 2)
RE: The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ (Part 1)
I agree. You are ignorant. And apparently willfully so.

Much like your fucking godboy, 'paul' was a 2d century literary construction. Someday...maybe in 20-30 years if you are ready to grow up ask and I'll direct you to some real scholarship instead of that WLC horseshit you are apparently so enamored of.

Meanwhile....go blow jesus out your ass.
His Majesty has some foul language for a Xtian. Fuck, fuck, fuck. I'm sure your sky daddy and god boy would be proud of you.
(November 22, 2014 at 12:24 am)His_Majesty Wrote: Richard Carrier? Who is Richard Carrier? Thinking Ohhhh, that is the guy that got his ass handed to him by William Lane Craig in a debate on the very subject at hand...the Resurrection.

I remember now...Thinking

So, you remember how earlier in another thread you were squawking about the genetic fallacy? Well, "Richard Carrier got beaten in a debate by WLC, therefore his current argument is invalid" is the genetic fallacy, even if your interpretation of the debate was remotely accurate, which I seriously doubt.

And if what's in my quotation marks wasn't what you were going for, then it was simply a deflection, and entirely irrelevant. Dodgy
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(November 22, 2014 at 12:24 am)His_Majesty Wrote:
(November 22, 2014 at 12:03 am)Zen Badger Wrote: To your first, we have eye witness accounts of Van Buren, but none of Jesus, so you fail there.

We have eyewitness accounts of Jesus too..Paul claimed to not only see the Resurrected Jesus, but he meet with the original disciples who WERE eyewitnesses. But that doesn't count, does it...well, neither does the Van Buren accounts. I am not playing the double standard game.

(November 22, 2014 at 12:03 am)Zen Badger Wrote: For your second one, Tacticus mentions a michevious superstition therefore the resurrection?!?! Fuck, you really are grasping at straws now laddie.ROFLOL

Yeah, I can totally see why the story of a man being crucified and rising from the dead would be seen as a mischievous superstition to a unbeliever. In fact, Tacitus feels the same way that most of you people on here feel.

(November 22, 2014 at 12:03 am)Zen Badger Wrote: And lastly, this only attests to people's gullibility, nothing else.
Now if Christianity had appeared simultaneously at different places around the world you would have a case.

If you move the goal posts back any further I might not be able to see it at all. Simultaneously at difference places around the world? You sound like a damn fool ROFLOL

Well, right now, it is in all places around the world...simultaneously...over 2 billion followers...starting from one wise guy and 12 of his idiot followers....

Quoting the bible(Paul) to support the bible will get you nowhere lad, so don't bother.

The term "Michevious superstition"is not evidence of the resurrection. You'll have to much better than that.

Don't you believe that your omnipotent god is capable of starting Christianity in different places at the same time? Are you some sort of doubter? Shame on you.

And lastly, the success of Christianity owes more to the quantity of its violence and very little to the quality of its truth.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
(November 22, 2014 at 1:19 am)KUSA Wrote: His Majesty has some foul language for a Xtian. Fuck, fuck, fuck. I'm sure your sky daddy and god boy would be proud of you.

That's his only redeeming feature.
I really have no problem accepting that Jesus may have existed as a man who claimed to have some messianic agenda and walked around tricking people into believing healings and miracles. I also have no problem accepting that he never existed given the lack of evidence. It makes no difference to atheism.

Jesus existing as a man making those claims lends zero credence to the claims he made, if he did exist. And that's the real point of contention here. Although, I will admit that the question of his existence is far more interesting a topic to me than the credibility of the miracles he performed, or his resurrection. Those last two are just outright silly to me; too silly to even question or carry on about.

When looking at the supposed times leading up to and during the life of Jesus, the messianic claims were very popular with leaders of pockets of rebellion. Similarly, holy men performing miracles and healings were a common, and probably accepted, part of, at least, the fringes of the culture. I read an observation by Reza Aslan (I think it was) that said something to the effect of- healings and miracle works were so common that even the detractors and critics of Christianity left out any criticism of these things in their writings. Almost everybody believed in some form of magical horseshit.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
(November 22, 2014 at 12:35 am)Minimalist Wrote: WLC couldn't beat his meat in a debate.

Okay, I loled.

Also:

[Image: pinata%201.jpg]

(November 22, 2014 at 12:07 am)His_Majesty Wrote:
(November 21, 2014 at 10:37 pm)Irrational Wrote: I believe Jesus may have existed, but I don't agree at all that what you posted is good evidence for his existence. Like Jenny said, all you did was show that Christians did exist in the first century.

Dude, every single source either mentions Jesus by name, title, or made implications regarding him. Yeah, they mentioned Christians, but every single time the Christians were mentioned, it was in the context of the man that they followed...every single one.

So what the heck are you talking about?? EIther you people are just not reading, or there is a major reading comprehension problem going on here...because I don't see how you can say that the source only mentions Christians when within the context either "Jesus", "Christ", "Christus", "Crucified sophist" "Wise King/new law"...those are freakin' names and titles that is as clear as day in the context, yet it is being bypassed for some f'ed up reason due to poor reading comprehension skills or just flat out denial.

Yeah, but just because he's referred to doesn't mean that he must've existed. Atheists may call you a follower of God. Does this mean they believe God exists?
Nobody has ever come back to life after being clinically dead.

It's impossible until proven otherwise.

The end.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
(November 21, 2014 at 11:56 pm)Jenny A Wrote: That's just a hair insane. Josephus isn't the only mention of Pilate and Tacitus isn't the only mention of Tiberius.

And Josephus also isn't the only mention of Jesus.

(November 21, 2014 at 11:56 pm)Jenny A Wrote: It they were, yes there would be reason to doubt Pilate and Tiberius. Actually, there isn't much for Pilate, and maybe, but for a contemporary inscription we'd have to count him unproven. But there is that inscription. For Tiberius there's plenty of contemporary evidence.

Right, and you have a Roman senator that mentions Jesus as a man that lived during the time of someone that we have "plenty" of contemporary evidence for.

(November 21, 2014 at 11:56 pm)Jenny A Wrote: Sure, he was a Jew and a historian. But he didn't have contempary sources (certainly didn't say he had) and wasn't a contemporary.

First off, you don't know what kind of sources Josephus had. He was an adult within 20 years after Jesus crucifixion', during a time when Christianity was still new and spreading throughout the empire and the original disciples of Jesus were still alive.

Just because he choose to write his historical work much later in his life doesn't change the fact that he was a young adult within 20 years of the cross, which could be traced right back to the time of a specific procurator and a specific Roman emperor.

(November 21, 2014 at 11:56 pm)Jenny A Wrote: There are plenty of contemporary sources for other important people during the time period, but not Jesus. So? Not proven.

Nonsense. The average person during the time of Jesus, in that location, could not read or write. They were illiterate....and Jesus' travels took him to just religious cities, towns, and villages. The only people that could read and write were probably the Jewish authorities, and they were obviously not fans of Jesus to be writing about him.

Information was passed through word of mouth...and what I find amazing is the fact that you claim that there is plenty of contemporary sources for other important people during that time, yet the legacy that Jesus left behind far better exceeds anyone in history.

(November 21, 2014 at 11:56 pm)Jenny A Wrote: Sorry, but the Pontius Pilate part of Josephus is actually in dispute and Christos means anointed or chosen. It's not a name and many men were called that.

Actually, the Pilate part isn't in dispute. The only parts that are in dispute is the obvious theological stuff. The rest is generally considered to be authentic. And the "Christus" part...again...Tacitus said that this was the title of a man whose followers is called "Christians" by the population, and a man that was crucified during the reign of Tiberius...and he also mentioned Pilate in this context as well.

Now, there could have been a thousand men named Jesus during that time or a thousand men called "Christos/Christus"....but there was only one that was crucified by Pilate, and started a new religious movement with its followers called "Christians", and a mischievous superstitious resulting after this guy's death.

It is clear as to who is being referred to, but there is an obvious double standard going on here.

(November 21, 2014 at 11:56 pm)Jenny A Wrote: Yes, he says Christians believed that, not that he did that or that he believed Jesus existed.

Nonsense. In the context he is saying that the Christians were chanting verses in honor of Christ as if to a god." If Trajan didn't know who the hell Christ was, then obviously Pliny would have briefed him on who exactly Christ was. Apparently it was common knowledge that Christ existed because Pliny mentioned him briefly, and in passing, without even elaborating on who they were talking about.

(November 21, 2014 at 11:56 pm)Jenny A Wrote: They do have contemporary sources on which to rely.

What makes you think that those 5 sources didn't?

(November 21, 2014 at 11:56 pm)Jenny A Wrote: Not really. We remember Homer because of what is attributed to him, but there's much depute over his existence.

But unlike Homer, the existence of Jesus can be traced back to eyewitness accounts...now of course, these sources would be internal, but sources nevertheless...by either eyewitnesses...or friends of the eyewitnesses.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  To Atheists: Who, in your opinion, was Jesus Christ? JJoseph 52 2754 June 12, 2024 at 11:01 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  The power of Christ... zwanzig 60 4882 August 30, 2023 at 8:33 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  Jesus Christ is the Beast 666 Satan Emerald_Eyes_Esoteric 36 8297 December 18, 2022 at 10:33 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Creating Christ JML 26 3411 September 29, 2022 at 9:40 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  So has Christ returned TheClearCleanStuff 31 3524 May 20, 2022 at 12:35 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  CHRIST THE KICKER…… BrianSoddingBoru4 15 1526 January 3, 2022 at 10:00 am
Last Post: brewer
  CHRIST THE KILLER..... ronedee 31 3727 December 26, 2021 at 7:11 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
Rainbow Why I believe in Jesus Christ Ai Somoto 20 2939 June 30, 2021 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  In what way is the Resurrection the best explanation? GrandizerII 159 16918 November 25, 2019 at 6:46 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Consecrated virgins: 'I got married to Christ' zebo-the-fat 11 2134 December 7, 2018 at 7:03 pm
Last Post: Angrboda