Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 20, 2024, 7:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ (Part Deux)
RE: The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ (Part Deux)
BTW, "faith the size of an electron" was mentioned somewhere along the way here.

Curiously, as far as I know, measuring the precise size of an electron has eluded modern science to this day. So far, regardless of the technique used, the electron seems to have no volume at all. It being as mathematically close to a perfect point of zero dimension in any direction as one might ever want to encounter.

So, "faith the size of an electron" is a very interesting comment.

ROFLOL
(December 1, 2014 at 12:13 am)vorlon13 Wrote: BTW, "faith the size of an electron" was mentioned somewhere along the way here.

Curiously, as far as I know, measuring the precise size of an electron has eluded modern science to this day. So far, regardless of the technique used, the electron seems to have no volume at all. It being as mathematically close to a perfect point of zero dimension in any direction as one might ever want to encounter.

ROFLOL

[Image: I_know_the_bible_is_true_sophistry.gif]
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
Would you divulge your other identity? Or did you already and I missed it?
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
(December 1, 2014 at 12:13 am)vorlon13 Wrote: BTW, "faith the size of an electron" was mentioned somewhere along the way here.

ROFLOL

The analogy is apt: it fundamentally has no volume, but because of the intrinsic fuzzyness involved, there appears to be more to it than there really is. As soon as you look closely, it collapses again.

The same might be said of the electron
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I found this amazing book that will turn you into an atheist. You have to read it all the way through and really analyze it in detail. It shows you all the problems with christianity, all the cruel practices it supports and highlights the hypocrisy and flat out contradictions of the church. It even has little stories showing you how primitive people used to think, how they thought the Earth came about, and how they attributed things which are now easily understood to a diety.

It's a bit of a long read, and hard going in places. But I know it's already started many people on their road to atheism. The problem is that most christians refuse to read it when I suggest it. They will just skim through it and completely miss the point.

If anyone's interested, I can give you more information about the book. It's been out for quite some time and has gone through several editions. It's not going to tell an atheist anything they don't already know, except maybe to cement even further how ridiculous religion is. It does focus on christianity, but the principles are pretty common to most religions.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Just out of interest, not having read the bible, where in it does it say it is true?

Given that each part was written separately by different people from different ages, does each part say that it is true, so that the comitee that decided which bits to include had something to go on? Or did they just slap a disclaimer at the front, like in films where they say "based on a true story"*?

* Where true story means something the local drunk said 20 years ago
Well, that sounds pretty swell! Before I order though, can you tell me whether it is appropriate for the whole family? I wouldn't want the kids to get nightmares.

(December 1, 2014 at 5:41 am)robvalue Wrote: I found this amazing book that will turn you into an atheist. You have to read it all the way through and really analyze it in detail. It shows you all the problems with christianity, all the cruel practices it supports and highlights the hypocrisy and flat out contradictions of the church. It even has little stories showing you how primitive people used to think, how they thought the Earth came about, and how they attributed things which are now easily understood to a diety.

It's a bit of a long read, and hard going in places. But I know it's already started many people on their road to atheism. The problem is that most christians refuse to read it when I suggest it. They will just skim through it and completely miss the point.

If anyone's interested, I can give you more information about the book. It's been out for quite some time and has gone through several editions. It's not going to tell an atheist anything they don't already know, except maybe to cement even further how ridiculous religion is. It does focus on christianity, but the principles are pretty common to most religions.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(December 1, 2014 at 6:04 am)FreeTony Wrote: Just out of interest, not having read the bible, where in it does it say it is true?
In 2 Timothy 3:16, 'Paul' says that "all scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness."
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(December 1, 2014 at 7:01 am)Tonus Wrote:
(December 1, 2014 at 6:04 am)FreeTony Wrote: Just out of interest, not having read the bible, where in it does it say it is true?
In 2 Timothy 3:16, 'Paul' says that "all scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness."

Haha, brilliant. I must believe Paul then, just after I finish trying out this one weird trick to increase my penis size.
(December 1, 2014 at 7:33 am)FreeTony Wrote: Haha, brilliant. I must believe Paul then, just after I finish trying out this one weird trick to increase my penis size.
Or Paul and the Paulettes, since around half of his writings are believed to have been written by others. In any case, that's about as close as you will get to a blanket 'the bible is the truly-true truth.' And even that isn't crystal clear: was Paul referring to the OT, or to the whole book? Obviously it wasn't completed at the time!

I may be wrong, but I don't think it's that common for such books (collections of stories and cultural myths) to outright claim that they are true. The people who use them to control or influence a population are the ones who will claim divine influence. Even the wording in the text I quoted leaves room for people to determine if any of the stories are literal truth or allegory.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  To Atheists: Who, in your opinion, was Jesus Christ? JJoseph 52 2628 June 12, 2024 at 11:01 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  The power of Christ... zwanzig 60 4740 August 30, 2023 at 8:33 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  Jesus Christ is the Beast 666 Satan Emerald_Eyes_Esoteric 36 8246 December 18, 2022 at 10:33 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Creating Christ JML 26 3319 September 29, 2022 at 9:40 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  So has Christ returned TheClearCleanStuff 31 3494 May 20, 2022 at 12:35 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  CHRIST THE KICKER…… BrianSoddingBoru4 15 1500 January 3, 2022 at 10:00 am
Last Post: brewer
  CHRIST THE KILLER..... ronedee 31 3692 December 26, 2021 at 7:11 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
Rainbow Why I believe in Jesus Christ Ai Somoto 20 2897 June 30, 2021 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 91733 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  In what way is the Resurrection the best explanation? GrandizerII 159 16309 November 25, 2019 at 6:46 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire