Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 8, 2024, 12:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rape in the Bible
RE: Rape in the Bible
(December 8, 2014 at 12:50 pm)LastPoet Wrote: It is many orders of magnitude better than the christian bullshit, Johnny. If morality was a school test, secular morality would get a B-, but christian morality woud get a well rounded F.

You are leaking dogma trough the side of your mouth, mind you and clean that up.

Secular morality also has the benefit of not being beholden to a 2000 year-old rubric. It evolves and improves with human experience.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(December 8, 2014 at 12:47 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: Yes, it's demonstrably more effective. It's not "better" in any sort of cosmic justice objectively-ordained-by-a-cosmic-jury sense, it's better because it works.
Whether it's demonstrable is irrelevant. Even if it works at "creating functioning, safe, stable, and efficient societies," it's still just opinion that such societies are morally good things. Someone else could note that humans in such societies are damaging the earth and so opine that such systems are immoral.

No matter how many levels you take it to, in the end you'll still end up with an opinion.

(December 8, 2014 at 12:50 pm)LastPoet Wrote: It is many orders of magnitude better than the christian bullshit, Johnny. If morality was a school test, secular morality would get a B-, but christian morality woud get a well rounded F.
Depends on who's grading the test.

(December 8, 2014 at 12:50 pm)LastPoet Wrote: You are leaking dogma trough the side of your mouth, mind you and clean that up.
Dogma? No, I'm arguing on the side of subjective morality...a position that many atheists also hold. Well, until it turn around and bites them... Angel

Edited to change "objective" to "subjective."
(December 8, 2014 at 12:58 pm)alpha male Wrote:
(December 8, 2014 at 12:47 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: Yes, it's demonstrably more effective. It's not "better" in any sort of cosmic justice objectively-ordained-by-a-cosmic-jury sense, it's better because it works.
Whether it's demonstrable is irrelevant. Even if it works at "creating functioning, safe, stable, and efficient societies," it's still just opinion that such societies are morally good things. Someone else could note that humans in such societies are damaging the earth and so opine that such systems are immoral.

No matter how many levels you take it to, in the end you'll still end up with an opinion.

Depends on who's grading the test.

(December 8, 2014 at 12:50 pm)LastPoet Wrote: You are leaking dogma trough the side of your mouth, mind you and clean that up.
Dogma? No, I'm arguing on the side of objective morality...a position that many atheists also hold. Well, until it turn around and bites them... Angel

I'm not sure what your idea of an 'opinion' is, but a model or system that is supported by data is not a simple guess or opinion, and it's strange that you're so desperate to paint any sort of non-absolute morality as "just your opinion", seeing as your morality (I would assume) comes by flat assertion from the 'opinions' of a single source.
- Thomas Jefferson
(December 8, 2014 at 12:58 pm)alpha male Wrote: Dogma? No, I'm arguing on the side of objective morality...a position that many atheists also hold. Well, until it turn around and bites them... Angel

It is all you have, a dogmatic belief, saying it isn't so won't change that fact. Also, you are misrepresenting "objective morality", in other words, making a strawman. Perhaps you were trying to say "Absolute morality"?
Noticed that too, it's why I used "absolute morality" in my response.
- Thomas Jefferson
(December 8, 2014 at 1:06 pm)LastPoet Wrote: It is all you have, a dogmatic belief, saying it isn't so won't change that fact. Also, you are misrepresenting "objective morality", in other words, making a strawman. Perhaps you were trying to say "Absolute morality"?
No, I intended to say subjective morality and have changed it above.
I believe in situational ethics. In any situation or moral question, there is a course of action (or multiple courses of action) that are objectively better than others if human wellbeing is the foundation of one's morality. There is no code in stone from a lawgiver that tells us flatly which is which, we evolve and refine our moral understanding over time in order to maximize human wellbeing to the best of our abilities.
- Thomas Jefferson
(December 8, 2014 at 1:36 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: I believe in situational ethics. In any situation or moral question, there is a course of action (or multiple courses of action) that are objectively better than others if human wellbeing is the foundation of one's morality.
And as already noted, general human well-being does not need to be the basis of one's morality. One can go broader and consider the well-being of all life or even the inanimate, or one could go narrower and consider the well-being of one's own nation, tribe, nuclear family, or just the self. Or you could dispense with systems altogether and just go with your conscience at the moment.
(December 8, 2014 at 1:43 pm)alpha male Wrote:
(December 8, 2014 at 1:36 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: I believe in situational ethics. In any situation or moral question, there is a course of action (or multiple courses of action) that are objectively better than others if human wellbeing is the foundation of one's morality.
And as already noted, general human well-being does not need to be the basis of one's morality. One can go broader and consider the well-being of all life or even the inanimate, or one could go narrower and consider the well-being of one's own nation, tribe, nuclear family, or just the self. Or you could dispense with systems altogether and just go with your conscience at the moment.

Yes. Yes you can. You can base your morality on the omens of randomly found rock formations or on the writings of 2000 year old goat herders (the two aren't so far apart). I'm not saying there is some sort of binding property of reality that obligates humans to behave that way. It's a system that emerges from recognizing that we all share the same space, and in order to construct a society that is stable and effective, human wellbeing is a damn good principle to put as the foundation of a moral code.

Are there better foundational principles for a moral system? Could be. However, there are certain principles that have demonstrated throughout history that they do not work (such as adherence to an arbitrary and unassailable set of bald pronouncements in stone), and "human wellbeing" as a structural starting point is doing pretty damn well comparatively.
- Thomas Jefferson
Wow, this argument still going huh?

Blindly following arbitrary rules is not moral, it's amoral.

I wonder how many times I should say that.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Satanic Bible vs Christian Bible ƵenKlassen 31 7800 November 27, 2017 at 10:38 am
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Church demands the victim apologize to pastor's wife since the pastor did the rape. Foxaèr 122 16515 September 17, 2016 at 4:30 am
Last Post: rado84
  Mormon: "There is no such thing as rape." Tiberius 148 36101 December 9, 2014 at 11:03 am
Last Post: John V
  Did King David rape Bath-sheba? Tonus 77 25375 December 3, 2014 at 2:38 am
Last Post: Drich
  Stop Masturbation Now! And Help Preventing Self Rape. Zidneya 19 11698 June 28, 2014 at 11:55 pm
Last Post: Zidneya
  Muslim cleric wants Canadian women to cover up to prevent rape. Ziploc Surprise 5 2876 July 21, 2012 at 9:42 am
Last Post: toro
  Jaysus effin' Christ!! Santorum on abortion due to rape LarissaAnn 54 23812 January 29, 2012 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  The rape of Africa Ziploc Surprise 8 4657 January 20, 2012 at 10:48 pm
Last Post: Rokcet Scientist