Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 3, 2024, 2:02 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religion and language
RE: Religion and language
I use Holy Shit all the time.... I don't really it consider it, or anything else, 'holy.'
I bet Holy Shit was the original title of the bible.
It remains an accurate description of its usefulness in this day and age.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
I think strictly speaking, "Damn" is also religious, no?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(January 30, 2015 at 4:20 pm)Alex K Wrote: Sounds like life there is the eternal 8th grade.

That's about as good of a metaphor as it gets.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Atheists - No I use the expressions "Jesus!", "Jesus Christ!", "Goddammit" and others very often. It's influenced by religion, but I've gotten used to it. I could use expressions for Zeus, Thor or Hades if I wanted to, mythology is fine

No native - Yeah my language is influenced by religion as well. A popular phrase is "Deus do céu" that means "God of Heaven". But there's also the usual "oh my god" and other sentences that are directly translated
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

I say 'God Damn, Jesus Christ, OMG', and such. Here, on the forum, I have noticed I stay away from OMG, as I am worried I will be judged. I guess I don't need to, which is nice to know. I used to say "Bless You" when people sneezed as a habit, I was raised that way, and I have been worried it would seem rude if I didn't. But, "Happy expelling demons through your nose!" just doesn't have that ring to it. I have just quit saying it, I have only been called out on it once. I do say "thank you" however if someone says it to me. I know I am not really blessed, but in their delusion, they are being caring, I support that.

Thanks for the thread Xeno.
[Image: dc52deee8e6b07186c04ff66a45fd204.jpg]
(January 30, 2015 at 3:34 pm)Faith No More Wrote: Sure, it's hard to judge when you know you have your own flaws, but imagine going your whole life seeing this lack of reflection and historical perspective staring you in your face day after day. I used to think there was something wrong with me, but then I realized I was surrounded by people that didn't actually absorb, process and apply the information they were being fed.

I would say, the American idiot is mainly a religious idiot. The European idiot is rather secular. But looking down on book knowledge and at the same time believing to have all the answers is a global feature of the common imbecille.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(January 30, 2015 at 5:27 pm)Kitty Galore Wrote: I say 'God Damn, Jesus Christ, OMG', and such. Here, on the forum, I have noticed I stay away from OMG, as I am worried I will be judged. I guess I don't need to, which is nice to know. I used to say "Bless You" when people sneezed as a habit, I was raised that way, and I have been worried it would seem rude if I didn't. But, "Happy expelling demons through your nose!" just doesn't have that ring to it. I have just quit saying it, I have only been called out on it once. I do say "thank you" however if someone says it to me. I know I am not really blessed, but in their delusion, they are being caring, I support that.

Thanks for the thread Xeno.

I've never liked "Bless You" for sneezes. For a while, I tried "Stomp on them!" but too few people understood that at all.

When someone tells me "Bless you" I don't know that I thank them, but occasionally (if it's someone who knows me well enough) I will say "No thanks"
Celebrate Reason ● Think For Yourself
www.theHeathensGuide.com
[Image: heathens-guide.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Countries that speak a different language to the religion they are aligned with flag UniverseCaptain 25 1780 October 3, 2021 at 5:46 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 11262 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 5088 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 20202 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 51549 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  Discriminatory language in the terms of a christian forum. Lemonvariable72 128 21414 October 17, 2013 at 2:31 pm
Last Post: Zazzy
  Fundies, End Times and language of the NWO lilyannerose 4 2913 December 11, 2010 at 10:26 pm
Last Post: Justtristo
  Religion Vs Religion. Bull Poopie 14 5292 September 8, 2010 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused