Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 1:55 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religion and language
Religion and language
Apologies if this has already been done.

Religion has in many ways influenced the language, with phrases like "God forbid", "Thank God", "Good Lord" or a personal ironic favorite of mine, "Holy shit".

Atheists: Do you work around those phrases or do you say them anyway?
Theists: Do you think that falls under taking your lord's name in vain?
Non-native English speakers: Is your language similarly influenced by religion?

Personally I find saying these things awkward, so I try to work around them. There are multiple similar phrases like that in Polish, which I also avoid.
RE: Religion and language
Eh, words aren't magic, and religion doesn't own them, so I use them whenever I like. I don't really feel uncomfortable or anything like that at all, since in my opinion they're simply alternative versions of other exclamations, just with more fictional words.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
I'd say FSM instead of god, but people would stare.
I say them all the time Big Grin They are just expressions, they don't mean anything to me. It's like saying holy smokes batman! It does sometimes make me laugh at what I've said though, as I often don't think too much about it in advance. My repertoire includes:

Holy shit, Jesus Christ, fucking jesus, God damn it, for god's sake, bloody hell, smack my arse and call me Mohammed.

That last one was what I'd call an improv, I try to be creative sometimes Big Grin
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Native German speaker, where these phrases are mostly identical or similar, I make no effort to avoid most of them, except that I never say Grüß Gott as a greeting even though that would be standard in the south.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I think that translates to, "Got grubby?" Yeah probably not a great greeting Big Grin
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
A Christian co-worker of mine mocked me for saying "Oh my god!" He said this was proof that I believed even though I claim not to. I told him that I also frequently say "Holy shit!" but that doesn't mean I actually believe in halo-wearing turds.
Celebrate Reason ● Think For Yourself
www.theHeathensGuide.com
[Image: heathens-guide.png]
Wow, what a compelling argument! When is his awards ceremony?

Index of my best videos
Portuguese speaker here...
Yes, we do have quite a few common expressions that require a god.
And yes, I do try to work around them, but, every once in a while, they still come out.
Example of working around them: when someone sneezes, it is customary to reply with "santinho", which means "little saint", a reference to calling a saint to help with whatever is ailing the person sneezing. It is seen as somewhat rude if you don't say "santinho"... so I just go for the french "santé" and don't even translate it! (it means "health") Sounds similar enough to keep people guessing.

Most other expressions manage to work out well with a FFS or a p'ó-caraças.

Often, people will tell me things like "god willing, you'll have a nice trip.", to which I like to reply something like "and if he's not willing, then I have to make it nice". No one expects it... Big Grin
I like to respond to "I'll pray for you" with "Thanks, I'll go and make a voodoo doll of you."

Index of my best videos

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Countries that speak a different language to the religion they are aligned with flag UniverseCaptain 25 1633 October 3, 2021 at 5:46 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10735 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4909 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19829 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 49333 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  Discriminatory language in the terms of a christian forum. Lemonvariable72 128 19819 October 17, 2013 at 2:31 pm
Last Post: Zazzy
  Fundies, End Times and language of the NWO lilyannerose 4 2863 December 11, 2010 at 10:26 pm
Last Post: Justtristo
  Religion Vs Religion. Bull Poopie 14 5189 September 8, 2010 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused