Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 5, 2024, 11:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Christianity based on older myths?
RE: Is Christianity based on older myths?
I really don't think he understands the difference. I thought he was being awkward before, but I really am worried he honestly doesn't understand Sad I don't know what to do.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(February 11, 2015 at 4:48 pm)SteveII Wrote: Again. Theories from a guy who writes a book in 1986 entitled: God, Reason and the Evangelicals: Case Against Evangelical Rationalism. You can't simply assert that Syncretism is responsible for the gospels or epistles. You would have to either show proof of the positive or show how all other theories are at the very least unlikely.

Oh, now you're concerned about having enough proof?
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(February 12, 2015 at 4:06 pm)robvalue Wrote: I really don't think he understands the difference. I thought he was being awkward before, but I really am worried he honestly doesn't understand Sad I don't know what to do.

I do understand the difference. However, for historical figures/teachings/events, all we have are people's writings and therefore what they believed to be true. Of course they can be wrong. Historians look for evidence within each author's writings and other author's writings and construct a likely scenario. There is no such thing as proof--only evidence. And most readers of the evidence insert their bias into the conclusions. Your bias is naturalism and in a subject like religion and events shaping religion, you have already removed an entire set of possibilities that others are not so quick to remove from consideration.
(February 13, 2015 at 9:10 am)SteveII Wrote:
(February 12, 2015 at 4:06 pm)robvalue Wrote: I really don't think he understands the difference. I thought he was being awkward before, but I really am worried he honestly doesn't understand Sad I don't know what to do.

I do understand the difference. However, for historical figures/teachings/events, all we have are people's writings and therefore what they believed to be true. Of course they can be wrong. Historians look for evidence within each author's writings and other author's writings and construct a likely scenario. There is no such thing as proof--only evidence. And most readers of the evidence insert their bias into the conclusions. Your bias is naturalism and in a subject like religion and events shaping religion, you have already removed an entire set of possibilities that others are not so quick to remove from consideration.

Nah... we'd all like magic to be a part of the equation... the thing is, there's no evidence that magic is real. Hence, there's no reason to even consider that ancient writings about magic are representative of reality.
They are, instead, representative of our specie's shared wishful thinking that magic should be real... and, of this, we do have evidence.
(February 13, 2015 at 9:18 am)pocaracas Wrote:
(February 13, 2015 at 9:10 am)SteveII Wrote: I do understand the difference. However, for historical figures/teachings/events, all we have are people's writings and therefore what they believed to be true. Of course they can be wrong. Historians look for evidence within each author's writings and other author's writings and construct a likely scenario. There is no such thing as proof--only evidence. And most readers of the evidence insert their bias into the conclusions. Your bias is naturalism and in a subject like religion and events shaping religion, you have already removed an entire set of possibilities that others are not so quick to remove from consideration.

Nah... we'd all like magic to be a part of the equation... the thing is, there's no evidence that magic is real. Hence, there's no reason to even consider that ancient writings about magic are representative of reality.
They are, instead, representative of our specie's shared wishful thinking that magic should be real... and, of this, we do have evidence.

I am interested to read your evidence.
(February 13, 2015 at 10:17 am)SteveII Wrote:
(February 13, 2015 at 9:18 am)pocaracas Wrote: Nah... we'd all like magic to be a part of the equation... the thing is, there's no evidence that magic is real. Hence, there's no reason to even consider that ancient writings about magic are representative of reality.

I am interested to read your evidence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bes...lume_books
From that list, how many employ magic?
(February 13, 2015 at 10:23 am)pocaracas Wrote:
(February 13, 2015 at 10:17 am)SteveII Wrote: I am interested to read your evidence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bes...lume_books

No. That proves people like wonderment and excitement in their entertainment.

I wonder how many people who read those billions of fiction books thought they were real, changed their lives, sacrificed (sometimes everything), became better people for it and told everyone they met it was true? Only then would you have a comparison.
(February 13, 2015 at 11:34 am)SteveII Wrote:
(February 13, 2015 at 10:23 am)pocaracas Wrote: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bes...lume_books

I wonder how many people who read those billions of fiction books thought they were real, changed their lives, sacrificed (sometimes everything), became better people for it and told everyone they met it was true? Only then would you have a comparison.

Now apply that to the bible and god.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
I must be aware of some features of human psychology that most people aren't... that's the only way I can explain this willful ignorance...

You want something with beliefs, Steve? Here ya go!
'Star Wars' Chosen As Religion In Czech Republic On New Census
Have Jedi created a new 'religion'?
Temple Of The Jedi Order: Church Of Jediism

Besides, do I sense some movement in these goalposts?
(February 13, 2015 at 9:18 am)pocaracas Wrote: They are, instead, representative of our specie's shared wishful thinking that magic should be real... and, of this, we do have evidence.
To which you answer with:
(February 13, 2015 at 11:34 am)SteveII Wrote:
(February 13, 2015 at 10:23 am)pocaracas Wrote: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bes...lume_books

Did I ever mention that those people thought they were real, before?
Go on and read it again... I just put my quote up and bolded and underlined the special parts.... should be easy.

So, tell me, why do you think "people like wonderment and excitement in their entertainment"?

Why is Superman, a character created in the 1930's, still in the dreams of many?
Perhaps, just maybe, Steve will put two and two together and have one of those a-ha! moments where he realizes 1st century religious belief serves much of the same emotional needs as other forms of entertainment. Belonging to a tribe, collective/shared experience, wonderment, excitement and for a bonus, yes! you there! git to live FOREVER and EVER!

At least that's the marketing pitch. Sell the sizzle, not the steak.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Orthodox Christianity is Best Christianity! Annoyingbutnicetheist 30 7234 January 26, 2016 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Christianity vs Gnostic Christianity themonkeyman 12 8651 December 26, 2013 at 11:00 am
Last Post: pineapplebunnybounce
  Moderate Christianity - Even More Illogical Than Fundamentalist Christianity? Xavier 22 18605 November 23, 2013 at 11:21 am
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)
  Is Easter based on a pagan tradition? paulpablo 75 29617 April 25, 2013 at 6:34 pm
Last Post: A_Nony_Mouse
  Theology Based On An Allegorical Genesis FallentoReason 50 22037 February 11, 2013 at 6:42 pm
Last Post: Nine
  Is a religion based on human sacrifice moral and ethical? Greatest I am 37 19671 January 16, 2012 at 4:57 pm
Last Post: Zen Badger
  Christian Myths and Atheists Lies bibleabc123 78 40131 March 15, 2010 at 1:37 pm
Last Post: Laurens