Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 1:57 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Easter based on a pagan tradition?
I think it is but who knows, lets argue about it in this thread and come to a conclusion!

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

RE: Is Easter based on a pagan tradition?
I don't like arguments. I like debates.
(April 11, 2013 at 11:56 am)futilethewinds Wrote: I don't like arguments. I like debates.

Either way lets do this!

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

Let's see.... the word Easter comes from...

(Is there a etymology dictionary around the web?... yes there is => http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term...in_frame=0)

But let's look at the wiki article which says the same as the etymology dictionary:
Ēostre
Quote:Ēostre or Ostara is a goddess in Germanic paganism who, by way of the Germanic month bearing her name, is the namesake of the festival of Easter. Ēostre is attested solely by Bede in his 8th-century work De temporum ratione, where Bede states that during Ēosturmōnaþ (the equivalent to the month of April) feasts were held in Eostre's honor among the pagan Anglo-Saxons, but had died out by the time of his writing, replaced by the Christian "Paschal month" (a celebration of the resurrection of Jesus). In her various forms, she is a "Spring-like fertility goddess" associated with dawn, and is connected to numerous traditions and deities indigenous to Northern Europe.

From this goddess, you also get other cool words like
Estrus
Quote:oestrus , estrus or estrum (ˈiːstrəs, ˈɛstrəs, ˈiːstrəm, ˈɛstrəm)
— n
a regularly occurring period of sexual receptivity in most female mammals, except humans, during which ovulation occurs and copulation can take place; heat

The symbols of Easter are rabbits, known for having large litters.... and eggs, known for being the origin of some life-forms.

On the other hand, there are countries, where Easter is called something very different:
spanish: Pascua
French: Pâques
Portuguese: Páscoa
Italian: Pasqua

Which comes from the latin "Pascha", or greek "Πάσχα", or Hebrew (?) פֶּסַח‎ .... a wonderful thing, the wiki is...
And, of course, these names are imbued with christian meaning, having nothing to do with the spring ritual of fertility.

I salute whoever had the idea of superimposing the two celebrations in such a way that one would, eventually, win over the other, in meaning to the populace.

The same goes for christmas.
It's totally pagan. What do eggs and bunnies have to do with the resurrection of Christ? Nothing. They are hold-overs from the preceding pagan tradition.
I haven't read through all of it yet, but I figured I should leave this here to further the discussion:

Easter a pagan festival? Eggstremely Unlikely!
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]

Yes

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Easter is that one time a year people realize how easy it is to bribe me with chocolate. I'm not fussed who came up with the name and date so long as I can continue to devour chocolate until I feel pain.
(April 11, 2013 at 1:09 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote: I haven't read through all of it yet, but I figured I should leave this here to further the discussion:

Well, that was a short and uninformative blurb. Sad
(April 11, 2013 at 1:38 pm)Shell B Wrote:
(April 11, 2013 at 1:09 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote: I haven't read through all of it yet, but I figured I should leave this here to further the discussion:

Well, that was a short and uninformative blurb. Sad

You have to click through.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Easter strory zebo-the-fat 11 1672 April 3, 2018 at 10:06 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Trump and Melania attend Easter Services !! vorlon13 2 337 April 1, 2018 at 4:03 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Happy Easter! Mystic 85 11505 April 15, 2017 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Pagan influences on the biblical stories of Jesus' life Panatheist 53 13363 April 11, 2016 at 10:50 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Easter! RobbyPants 17 2631 March 30, 2016 at 8:16 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Happy Easter! KevinM1 24 4284 April 5, 2015 at 10:51 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Historical Easter Question for Minimalist thesummerqueen 26 7460 April 5, 2015 at 3:47 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Is Christianity based on older myths? SteveII 300 41857 February 13, 2015 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Kirk Cameron-Don't drink the koolaid and think Christmas had pagan origins. downbeatplumb 122 18251 December 8, 2014 at 10:45 am
Last Post: Tonus
  Easter letter from a pastor father coldwx 19 4031 April 20, 2014 at 10:58 pm
Last Post: Clueless Morgan