Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 25, 2024, 2:05 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evidence god does not exist
RE: Evidence god does not exist
negative evidence is what this thread is after is it?

How can you find that for God who, as a supernatural creator, is undetectable by definition? If he is detectable by our natural means then he isn't supernatural and so isn't God.
The problem of evil and the problem of divine hiddenness are good pieces of negative evidence against the Christian god. A deist god, however, can't really be disproved at all.
'We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.' H.L. Mencken

'False religion' is the ultimate tautology.

'It is just like man's vanity and impertinence to call an animal dumb because it is dumb to his dull perceptions.' Mark Twain

'I care not much for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it.' Abraham Lincoln
Divine hiddenness is not evidence against God. Since a completely undetectable God is indistinguishable from a non-existent one.

Furthermore, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

And as for the Problem of Evil, it depends how you define "Evil" and how God defines "Evil"
It is evidence against the Christian god. From Wiki: 'The premise of the argument is that if God existed (and wanted humanity to know it), he would have brought about a situation in which everyone reasonable believed in him; however there are unbelievers and reasonable unbelievers, and therefore this weighs against God's existence.'

Also, absence of evidence constitutes evidence of absence if you look where there should be evidence and find none e.g. if you hear that there was an elephant in your back garden, look for footprints or a giant turd, and don't find them, or if you conduct a double blind trial on the efficacy of prayer, and get no positive correlation.

In the Problem of Evil, the definition of evil is that given by monetheists themselves.
'We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.' H.L. Mencken

'It is just like man's vanity and impertinence to call an animal dumb because it is dumb to his dull perceptions.' Mark Twain

'I care not much for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it.' Abraham Lincoln
Quote:Also, absence of evidence constitutes evidence of absence if you look where there should be evidence and find none

If God supposedly works in mysterious ways, then there's nothing to say you should find any evidence, there's nothing to say he should make it obvious to everyone that he exists. Everything that happens is all presumably part of God's plan, apart from our actions as we supposedly have "free will" (by the way, for the record, "Free Will" is bullshit).
The fact that he is all-loving would mean he'd want us to go to heaven. Thus, he should make it obvious. If he's prepared to give religious experiences to some people, why not to all?

As for free will, I am probably in the compatibilist camp. There are good reasons to doubt free will, but hard determinism is self-refuting, for nobody could rationally decide that hard determinism was true if it were true, as their decision would be decided by non-rational factors.

I'm a pessimist or hard incompatabilist on the free will matter. I think that free will makes no sense whether the universe is determined or undetermined.

The fact God is said to be all-loving doesn't mean he thinks of love in the same sense as us. Maybe to him, only bothering to reveal himself to some people (if any(!!)) is "love".

(August 23, 2010 at 6:03 am)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: I'm a pessimist or hard incompatabilist on the free will matter. I think that free will makes no sense whether the universe is determined or undetermined.

So how do you know that your belief on this matter wasn't determined by factors outside your control?

Quote:The fact God is said to be all-loving doesn't mean he thinks of love in the same sense as us. Maybe to him, only bothering to reveal himself to some people (if any(!!)) is "love".

True, but most theists would assert that God's love is at least analogous to ours.

(August 23, 2010 at 8:07 am)The Omnissiunt One Wrote: So how do you know that your belief on this matter wasn't determined by factors outside your control?

I don't.

Quote:True, but most theists would assert that God's love is at least analogous to ours.

And I also bet that a lot of theists have ways of ducking arguments.
Also: Via Negativa: We cannot know what God is, but only what He is not. So to study Him, we study what He has not -- such as composition and motion.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why does science always upstage God? ignoramus 940 134014 October 26, 2022 at 10:15 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Does Ezekiel 23:20 prove that God is an Incel Woah0 26 2792 September 17, 2022 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: Woah0
  Proof and evidence will always equal Science zwanzig 103 7201 December 17, 2021 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Why does God care about S E X? zwanzig 83 5662 November 15, 2021 at 10:57 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  If god can't lie, does that mean he can't do everything? Foxaèr 184 13015 September 10, 2021 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: Dundee
  What do you believe in that hasnt been proven to exist? goombah111 197 25041 March 5, 2021 at 6:47 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Are miracles evidence of the existence of God? ido 74 4494 July 24, 2020 at 12:59 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Does afterlife need God? Fake Messiah 7 1406 February 4, 2020 at 5:02 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Why does God get the credit? Cod 91 7711 July 29, 2019 at 6:14 am
Last Post: comet
  Why does there need to be a God? Brian37 41 7191 July 20, 2019 at 6:37 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire