Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 18, 2024, 10:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Objective evidence for the existence of Jesus Christ?
RE: Objective evidence for the existence of Jesus Christ?
(April 2, 2015 at 6:45 pm)Minimalist Wrote: And Gone With The Wind mentions Atlanta.  Does that make the novel factual?

You are the one asserting that there are historical facts in your precious bible.  I'm asking for a short list.  I've already given you 4 that are hogwash so the ball is in your court.

Minimalist, how would you classify this - fact or fiction?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch:_A_Me...ald_Reagan

(I'm not sure if this is relevant, but I'm curious Smile )
(April 2, 2015 at 6:45 pm)Minimalist Wrote: And Gone With The Wind mentions Atlanta.  Does that make the novel factual?

You are the one asserting that there are historical facts in your precious bible.  I'm asking for a short list.  I've already given you 4 that are hogwash so the ball is in your court.
Are you denying that the facts I mentioned are accurate? Or are you admitting that the Bible contains factually accurate information sometimes, but only like "Gone With The Wind" does, even though you just assert this because, well, who knows? What's your evidence that a single author (not to mention the dozens we actually have to work with) only intended to write a novel? It would be nice if you could start to present that evidence or just admit that you take an extreme view of dismissing everything in the Bible because it was not written from a modern perspective that clearly distinguishes history and fiction for the people too lazy to do the hard work of scholarship.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
Why? Is that the only book you have about the civil war? If it is are you going to deny the Civil war happened? Even fiction can tell is something about past cultures and people.
Quote:You are the one asserting that there are historical facts in your precious bible.  I'm asking for a short list.  I've already given you 4 that are hogwash so the ball is in your court.
He's an atheist, stop with this childish "your bible" crap and act like an adult for once. So the Bible got things wrong, historians know this as said in the Yale video. So stop with the false dilemmas: either a source is completely right or completely wrong. What historians do is compare the Bible with other data we have about the time period. 
You act like imperfect data is is a deal break-knock down-objection. I'd hate to have you on jury duty when all people get in real life is small amounts of imperfect data.
It is very important not to mistake hemlock for parsley, but to believe or not believe in God is not important at all. - Denis Diderot

We are the United States of Amnesia, we learn nothing because we remember nothing. - Gore Vidal
(April 2, 2015 at 7:28 pm)watchamadoodle Wrote:

Minimalist, how would you classify this - fact or fiction?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch:_A_Me...ald_Reagan

(I'm not sure if this is relevant, but I'm curious Smile )

I'd classify it as bullshit but, then...I'm not much of a fan of that senile old fuck.
(April 2, 2015 at 7:57 pm)Nestor Wrote:

Are you denying that the facts I mentioned are accurate? Or are you admitting that the Bible contains factually accurate information sometimes, but only like "Gone With The Wind" does, even though you just assert this because, well, who knows? What's your evidence that a single author (not to mention the dozens we actually have to work with) only intended to write a novel? It would be nice if you could start to present that evidence or just admit that you take an extreme view of dismissing everything in the Bible because it was not written from a modern perspective that clearly distinguishes history and fiction for the people too lazy to do the hard work of scholarship.

Just because the Bible gives factually accurate information sometimes doesn't mean that all information it contains is factually accurate.  Do you think the creation story is factually accurate?  Do you think the flood story is factually accurate?  Do you think the miracle stories of Jesus are factually accurate?  There are things in the Qur'an that are accurate too. Does that make the whole thing accurate?

Nobody cares about the Bible, they care about the evidence.  Historians operate by using multiple independent historical sources.  Where are your multiple independent historical sources for the things claimed in the Bible?  Let us know when you find some.
There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide mankind that cannot be achieved as well or better through secular means.
Bitch at my blog! Follow me on Twitter! Subscribe to my YouTube channel!
Quote:Are you denying that the facts I mentioned are accurate?

WHAT FACTS HAVE YOU MENTIONED AS BEING ACCURATE?

I'm waiting for even a short list.

Quote:He's an atheist, stop with this childish "your bible" crap and act like an adult for once.

Doesn't seem like one.
(April 2, 2015 at 8:32 pm)Minimalist Wrote: WHAT FACTS HAVE YOU MENTIONED AS BEING ACCURATE?
Maybe we should all agree on a definition of fact?
For example, there are references in the gospels to the culture, geography, architecture, etc. Some of those references can be tested against other written accounts, modern archaeological knowledge, etc.
It seems like you are looking for facts about Jesus - not just facts?
(April 2, 2015 at 8:51 pm)watchamadoodle Wrote:
(April 2, 2015 at 8:32 pm)Minimalist Wrote: WHAT FACTS HAVE YOU MENTIONED AS BEING ACCURATE?
Maybe we should all agree on a definition of fact?
For example, there are references in the gospels to the culture, geography, architecture, etc. Some of those references can be tested against other written accounts, modern archaeological knowledge, etc.

You have to remember that for most believers, "fact" means "what I believe".  They don't really care if their beliefs are true, they'll just desperately twist and turn things to try to justify believing in it.  They always have a double standard in play.  I've pointed out that credible historians demand multiple independent accounts for historical tales. Christians don't have that, therefore they just ignore it and pretend that they can get away with whatever they do have because, in their minds, they simply cannot be wrong.  There are standards for a reason, they cannot meet the standards, but neither can they admit that their belief system fails in any test.
There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide mankind that cannot be achieved as well or better through secular means.
Bitch at my blog! Follow me on Twitter! Subscribe to my YouTube channel!
(April 2, 2015 at 8:32 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:Are you denying that the facts I mentioned are accurate?

WHAT FACTS HAVE YOU MENTIONED AS BEING ACCURATE?

Quote:He's an atheist, stop with this childish "your bible" crap and act like an adult for once.

Doesn't seem like one.
Are you trying to come across as a POE or is it unintentional?

(April 2, 2015 at 9:01 pm)Cephus Wrote:
(April 2, 2015 at 8:51 pm)watchamadoodle Wrote: Maybe we should all agree on a definition of fact?

You have to remember that for most believers, "fact" means "what I believe".  They don't really care if their beliefs are true, they'll just desperately twist and turn things to try to justify believing in it.  They always have a double standard in play.  I've pointed out that credible historians demand multiple independent accounts for historical tales. Christians don't have that, therefore they just ignore it and pretend that they can get away with whatever they do have because, in their minds, they simply cannot be wrong.  There are standards for a reason, they cannot meet the standards, but neither can they admit that their belief system fails in any test.
Remember, the discussion is not about Christian belief. I think that has been repeated about a dozen times.

(April 2, 2015 at 8:31 pm)Cephus Wrote:
(April 2, 2015 at 7:57 pm)Nestor Wrote: Are you denying that the facts I mentioned are accurate? Or are you admitting that the Bible contains factually accurate information sometimes, but only like "Gone With The Wind" does, even though you just assert this because, well, who knows? What's your evidence that a single author (not to mention the dozens we actually have to work with) only intended to write a novel? It would be nice if you could start to present that evidence or just admit that you take an extreme view of dismissing everything in the Bible because it was not written from a modern perspective that clearly distinguishes history and fiction for the people too lazy to do the hard work of scholarship.

Just because the Bible gives factually accurate information sometimes doesn't mean that all information it contains is factually accurate.  Do you think the creation story is factually accurate?  Do you think the flood story is factually accurate?  Do you think the miracle stories of Jesus are factually accurate?  There are things in the Qur'an that are accurate too. Does that make the whole thing accurate?

Nobody cares about the Bible, they care about the evidence.  Historians operate by using multiple independent historical sources.  Where are your multiple independent historical sources for the things claimed in the Bible?  Let us know when you find some.
LOL. First, nobody said "all information it contains is factually accurate." So, what are you talking about? Second, those other examples aren't relevant. There is no historian who treats those events as historical per biblical criticism, for one, because we know the creation and flood stories went through thousands of years of development and second, the documents were written much, much later than the events they purport to describe. And miracles can't be judged on the basis of the methods employed by historians. Everyone knows this. Literally. Go buy a book on history or spend about five minutes on the internet doing research so I don't have to explain common knowledge, please, and thank you. Third, as everyone also knows, the Bible is not one document. It's a collection of manuscripts, of various genres, by various writers. There's your multiple, independent sources, not including Josephus and Tacitus or extra-biblical material. Anything else?

Please, everyone, try to use your brains just a little here. It would save me a lot of unnecessary correction.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza

Go back and reread his posts. Honestly seeing as all you do is assert things, I don't what more him and me need to do.
Quote:

Doesn't seem like one.
No true scotsman? Seriously?  Banghead
Throw Computer  
You're never going to support you claim that Jesus didn't exist. I'm tired of all these red herrings about Christianity; therefore, I'm done with this thread. You have yet to reply to anyone of the points I made about the false dilemma behind your reasoning or my question about what is so unlikely about a guy existing then myths popping up about him. Even Bob Price, a mythicist, says: 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christ_myth...st_Century Wrote:In a discussion on euhemerism, Price cautiously asserts that "a genuine historical figure" may ultimately lie at the root of the Christian religion.[130] That figure (about whom he detects no surviving mundane, secular information) would have eventually been made into God through apotheosis. But Price admits uncertainty in this regard.
It is very important not to mistake hemlock for parsley, but to believe or not believe in God is not important at all. - Denis Diderot

We are the United States of Amnesia, we learn nothing because we remember nothing. - Gore Vidal

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dear Atheists: what would convince you God/Christ is Real? JJoseph 209 13495 June 12, 2024 at 10:54 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  The Historical Evidence for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. Nishant Xavier 38 2740 August 7, 2023 at 10:24 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  When were the Gospels Written? The External and Internal Evidence. Nishant Xavier 62 3613 August 6, 2023 at 10:25 pm
  Veridical NDEs: Evidence/Proof of the Soul and the After-Life? Nishant Xavier 32 1822 August 6, 2023 at 5:36 pm
  Isaiah 53, 700 B.C: Historical Evidence of the Divine Omniscience. Nishant Xavier 91 5247 August 6, 2023 at 2:19 pm
  Conscience and the Moral Argument as Evidence for the Goodness of God. Nishant Xavier 162 9015 July 9, 2023 at 7:53 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  Signature in the Cell: DNA as Evidence for Design, beside Nature's Laws/Fine-Tuning. Nishant Xavier 54 3090 July 8, 2023 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Do atheists believe in the existence of friendship? KerimF 191 11231 June 9, 2023 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  What is the worst religion in existence? Hi600 89 6773 May 6, 2023 at 12:55 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Atheists, if God doesnt exist, then explain why Keanu Reeves looks like Jesus Christ Frakki 9 1132 April 1, 2023 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Goosebump