Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 5:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Objective evidence for the existence of Jesus Christ?
Objective evidence for the existence of Jesus Christ?
I would really like to hear from fellow atheists about this. Is there any objective evidence for the existence of JC? By objective I mean evidence that is NOT from sources that have anything to gain or lose from proving or disproving the existence of JC. The research I have done all brings up... well.. nothing. Any evidence that IS out there comes from church websites or Christian "scientists" or something of the sort. I have HEARD of evidence for Jesus but have been told the evidence is shaky or there are multiple reports of Jesus' existence throughout history but the chronology of such reports does not match up. I still have not even seen this evidence. 
"Bake the children in the pies, sip the tea, watch your demise, tip your hat, don't be ashamed, we're all afraid"

"[God] sounds like an abusive lover, 'But dear, I wouldn't beat you if you didn't make me angry'" - Nope

My problem with religious people is not the fact that they hold the beliefs they do, my problem is when they claim that those beliefs make logical sense. If you wish to hold beliefs in fairy tales, that is fine with me. I still think you're silly, but that is fine. But the moment you claim that your views concerning those subjects can safely operate in any realm other than the realm of faith and/or fiction is the moment you deserve to be called on your bullshit.
RE: Objective evidence for the existence of Jesus Christ?
I don't think so. I've even heard that his home town of Nazareth didn't even exist.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Because if there WAS any credible evidence by now that JC actually did exist, then I believe we wouldn't have as many atheists as we do now. That just goes without saying.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
Heeeere we go again~
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
In my opinion, it's hopeless.

Those who push for a histrocial jesus have, as far as I have heard, managed about this much:

A dude called jesus/yeshua
Brother called James who got stoned to death
Jesus crucified

There's a couple of other possible things, but the evidence is sketchy already and it only gets worse.

Bottom line, there's not enough (in my opinion) to pin down one particular person in history. What's known about him, if it's even accurate, is really vague. And even if he "existed" there's no evidence that he did or said barely anything attributed to him.

My opinion: he is a myth. Saying he's "based on" a real person, if there was one, is like saying Gandalf is based on some old dude with a beard.

The first and best source outside the bible contains a massive christian forgery. Haha!
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Standard historicity mantra:

What do you mean by "did Jesus exist"? How many properties and which properties does a historical person have to share with the biblical figure in order to count?

Before you specify this, all further discussion is meaningless
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Hey don't ruin my fun Big Grin

Indeed, at best you're gonna get about 1% confirmed correlation which is hardly enough to mean anything.

If anyone mentions Hannibal or fucking Ghenghis Khan, I'm gonna... *foams at the mouth*
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
Julius Caesar

*runs*
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

What!!! Julius some Geezer more like.

Index of my best videos
Exactly! Erm what?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dear Atheists: what would convince you God/Christ is Real? JJoseph 207 10136 February 12, 2024 at 1:51 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  The Historical Evidence for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. Nishant Xavier 38 2458 August 7, 2023 at 10:24 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  When were the Gospels Written? The External and Internal Evidence. Nishant Xavier 62 3209 August 6, 2023 at 10:25 pm
  Veridical NDEs: Evidence/Proof of the Soul and the After-Life? Nishant Xavier 32 1642 August 6, 2023 at 5:36 pm
  Isaiah 53, 700 B.C: Historical Evidence of the Divine Omniscience. Nishant Xavier 91 4693 August 6, 2023 at 2:19 pm
  Conscience and the Moral Argument as Evidence for the Goodness of God. Nishant Xavier 162 7931 July 9, 2023 at 7:53 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  Signature in the Cell: DNA as Evidence for Design, beside Nature's Laws/Fine-Tuning. Nishant Xavier 54 2841 July 8, 2023 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Do atheists believe in the existence of friendship? KerimF 191 9684 June 9, 2023 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  What is the worst religion in existence? Hi600 89 5945 May 6, 2023 at 12:55 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Atheists, if God doesnt exist, then explain why Keanu Reeves looks like Jesus Christ Frakki 9 1005 April 1, 2023 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Goosebump