Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 28, 2024, 11:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheist or Agnostic?
RE: Atheist or Agnostic?
(April 4, 2015 at 10:59 am)datc Wrote: I mean, are you as though autistic toward God?

I'm not sure that was the word you needed there.

[Image: Nephism.jpg]
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Every second spent worrying about unfalsifiable propositions is a second of life wasted from the only one we know we will have.

It's entirely pointless speculation, until such time as anyone produces better evidence than a story book.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(April 4, 2015 at 3:14 pm)datc Wrote:
(April 4, 2015 at 2:54 pm)Simon Moon Wrote: Just how would I go about applying Pascal's Wager? Do I believe in ALL gods (even the ones with mutually exclusive doctrines), so I don't offend any of them? Is that what you do, simply out of overabundance of caution? Wouldn't want to piss of Allah and end up in Jahanamm for eternity, would you?

And lets say I decide to believe in your god, simply out of overabundance of caution. Wouldn't your god be able to see through my little "I'll believe just to cover my ass" ploy?

Overabundance of caution seems to suggest that you pick the god who threatens the most punishment for ignoring him and pay proper respects to that god, in whatever they consist.

Allah it is then!

Will I see you in the Mosque? You better be praying 5 times a day.

But seriously. 

Why would you want to worship a god that would punish people (the vast majority of his creation, as it turns out) for eternity for the finite crime of disbelieving he exists? Even if that god does exist, no way does it deserve to be worshiped. 

How is that god any different than a Mafia Don? "Hey, that's a nice soul you have there. It would be ashamed for it to get roughed up for eternity. If you pay me the right respect, I may see that it is taken care of."

If I had to go to hell under the rule of such a god. I would go with the knowledge that I am more moral than he is.

The best attribute your god has, is that he almost assuredly does not exist.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
Further to that, how can I trust these douche bags? They are clearly fucking with us from the word go. They hide from me my whole life, expect me to kiss their arse, then they may just chuck me in the can anyway for kicks.

I'll stick with I am reasonably sure is actually real, and go from there.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
Atheist philosopher David Stove called religion, and Christianity in particular, "terrifying." He had a point. So this may fit the bill.

Again, whether you heed or fail to heed Pascal's wage is your life and none of my business. I only say that logically, it has some sway; that is, the (practical) choice of atheism is not self-evident for an agnostic who (speculatively) neither affirms nor denies the existence of God.
You seem to be ignoring me as I've rebutted this point several times already, so I shall take my leave.

Index of my best videos
(April 4, 2015 at 3:54 pm)datc Wrote: Atheist philosopher David Stove called religion, and Christianity in particular, "terrifying." He had a point. So this may fit the bill.

Again, whether you heed or fail to heed Pascal's wage is your life and none of my business. I only say that logically, it has some sway; that is, the (practical) choice of atheism is not self-evident for an agnostic who (speculatively) neither affirms nor denies the existence of God.

You mean the christian god, catholic edition. You may have noticed that there are other gods. Why not give Wishna a chance? Why not Allah? Why not Zeus or Odin or Osiris, Isis and all the other gods that have been and sometimes exited longer than the christian version, which again looks very different for a mainstream protestant or an Evangelical, a Yehowahs witness, a mormon and all the other denominations. Why not go with Arianism, which was much more prevalent in the early days until it was utterly crushed by Rome?

You see, there are many possibilities to ruin your life fretting over someone looking over your shoulder.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Pascal's wager fails, here is why: http://wiki.ironchariots.org/index.php?t...%27s_Wager
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
(April 4, 2015 at 3:54 pm)datc Wrote: Atheist philosopher David Stove called religion, and Christianity in particular, "terrifying." He had a point. So this may fit the bill.

It's not like acting on irrational fears ever hurt anybody! Now that's what I call logical sway! 
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza

My bold.  I don't find that logic applied to unverifiable hypotheticals has any sway at all on my speculative activity.  You seem intent on interpreting agnosticism to mean extreme impartiality.  I am highly agnostic and that is not the way I view it.  Being agnostic simply means I avoid overstating what I know when I can.  That doesn't mean I hold a neutral position regarding every fanciful hypothetical creature you care to bring up.  Agnostics need not surrender control over their own agendas either concerning practical action nor what we care to contemplate.  Keep your boogy men to yourself please.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question from an agnostic chrisNub 41 9774 March 30, 2018 at 7:28 am
Last Post: robvalue
  My brother who used to be a devout Muslim is now agnostic Lebneni Murtad 4 1419 March 21, 2017 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  What is the right definition of agnostic? Red_Wind 27 6259 November 7, 2016 at 11:43 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Well, I just can't change that I'm Agnostic... LivingNumbers6.626 15 3211 July 6, 2016 at 4:33 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Everyone is Agnostic z7z 16 3512 June 26, 2016 at 10:36 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Can you persuade me from Agnostic to Atheist? AgnosticMan123 160 26557 June 6, 2016 at 10:43 pm
Last Post: Adam Blackstar
  My siblings are agnostic, should I try discussing atheism with them? CindyBaker 17 3805 April 18, 2016 at 9:27 am
Last Post: LostLocke
  Albert Einstein the Agnostic MattB 21 6265 February 23, 2016 at 11:45 pm
Last Post: MattB
  Agnostic: a pointless term? robvalue 206 36106 February 16, 2015 at 3:24 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Chaplain turns Agnostic bladevalant546 0 1162 October 7, 2014 at 8:54 am
Last Post: bladevalant546