Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 30, 2024, 7:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism, Evidence and the God-of-the-Gaps
RE: Atheism, Evidence and the God-of-the-Gaps
(June 17, 2015 at 12:38 am)SnakeOilWarrior Wrote: Well, if you're saying Randy's a pussy...

Given how much he avoids answering tough questions, and his fondness for throwing around big accusations but refusing to answer for them, I feel that it's a pretty inescapable conclusion.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(June 16, 2015 at 5:38 pm)Randy Carson Wrote:
(June 15, 2015 at 12:50 am)rexbeccarox Wrote: What is your definition of "God", Randy? You're the one who believes in it, so you're the one who needs to define it.

Well, the glossary in the back of the Catechism of the Catholic Church sez:

GOD: The infinite divine being, one in being yet three Persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. God has revealed Himself as the "One who is," as truth and love, as creator of all that is, as the author of divine revelation, and as the source of salvation.

How's that for starters?

That appears to be some words that mean not a lot.

Do have a definition that is not nebulous pap?

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

At the very least, you can take from the Bible that Yahweh is a person with a mind and emotions and desires and wants. From there it can get a bit nebulous. He can take physical form but is otherwise composed of materials that are either supernatural or currently outside of our comprehension. He has the energy, patience, and know-how to have created the whole universe, which we now understand would have been a tremendous undertaking. He has a fascination with names and lists, and with finding some pretty complicated ways of getting things straightened out (perhaps a function of his eternal nature).

I think that it's when we get past the stuff that makes him a person, and start on the stuff that makes him a god, that things start to get a bit messy. At that point we're into "metaphysics." Which is a branch of science that we used to call "stuff we made up when we were kids."
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
Let's face facts, he's just a man with lots of powers. The rest is scientific sounding nonsense to make it seem more impressive. He has human emotions and desires, and he even looks exactly like an old man. He talks like a human, and walks on the earth like a human in some cases.

God did not make man, man made God.

He does still visit from time to time though if anyone has questions for him.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(June 17, 2015 at 12:55 pm)Tonus Wrote: At the very least, you can take from the Bible that Yahweh is a person with a mind and emotions and desires and wants.

That would be because he was created in the image of the ones writing about him. Just like all the other gods.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Here Randy Randy Randy.....explain your train of thought to me pretty please~
(June 14, 2015 at 10:26 pm)Randy Carson Wrote:
(June 14, 2015 at 10:05 pm)Jenny A Wrote: Apparently, many people are.  I just figure the money dropped out of my pockets, but that's just me.

Ah, but Jenny, don't you see it? God planned for you to drop the money out of your pocket without realizing it so that you would find it later.

Simple, huh? [Image: whackado.gif]

You are being sarcastic right?
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(June 17, 2015 at 12:02 am)SnakeOilWarrior Wrote:
(June 14, 2015 at 10:28 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: FORMER Catholic priest, Nestor. Former Catholic priest. [Image: wink.gif]

Was he excommunicated? Honest question.

Eventually, yes.
(June 16, 2015 at 9:13 pm)Cato Wrote:
(June 16, 2015 at 6:10 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: That's because you're looking in the wrong place. I expect more of the same tomorrow.

Another day, another no-show. Even George Jones stayed sober enough to make an occasional appearance. Randy, you've got nothing.

If this is the only argument you will be making every day, then I might say, "Right back at ya, Cato."
(June 17, 2015 at 10:30 pm)Randy Carson Wrote:
(June 16, 2015 at 9:13 pm)Cato Wrote: Another day, another no-show. Even George Jones stayed sober enough to make an occasional appearance. Randy, you've got nothing.

If this is the only argument you will be making every day, then I might say, "Right back at ya, Cato."

Maybe he should just start accusing you of presuppositions instead? Rolleyes
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can someone show me the evidence of the bullshit bible articles? I believe in Harry Potter 36 4987 November 3, 2019 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  If evidence for god is in abundance, why is faith necessary? Foxaèr 181 39240 November 11, 2017 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Atheists don't realize asking for evidence of God is a strawman ErGingerbreadMandude 240 29313 November 10, 2017 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
Question Why do you people say there is no evidence,when you can't be bothered to look for it? Jaguar 74 21216 November 5, 2017 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: Pat Mustard
  Personal evidence Foxaèr 19 6165 November 4, 2017 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: c152
  Is Accepting Christian Evidence Special Pleading? SteveII 768 248173 September 28, 2017 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Kernel Sohcahtoa
  Do Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence? SteveII 643 139266 August 12, 2017 at 1:36 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Evidence: The Gathering Randy Carson 530 93948 September 25, 2015 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: abaris
  With Science and Archaeology and Miracle's evidence for God TheThinkingCatholic 35 11443 September 20, 2015 at 11:32 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
Exclamation Us Athiests v. Sid Roth: Where Is The Evidence, Sid! A Lucid Dreaming Atheist 4 2946 August 3, 2015 at 5:56 pm
Last Post: dyresand