Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 10, 2024, 3:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
All Hail the Second Amendment
RE: All Hail the Second Amendment
Mostly because it's not a fact.  A safely stored weapon can be made ready for use with the turn of a key - which manufacturers have been incorporating into their actions for a decade now, or can be bought for 3$ at walmart for older models or economy models without key locked actions.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
So, you're sitting in your chair watching tv when a "bad guy" breaks in.  How many bullets can he fire from his gun while you are manipulating the key?  Moreover, this presupposes that you are sitting there fondling your precious gun "in case" some bad guy breaks in.  That might interfere with your operation of the tv remote control.
I'm not the kind of guy that fondles his gun while watching tv, or that would shoot a gun in my own home, lol.  The scenario you've painted isn;t at all representative of what people are referring to, ofc.  If you're in your living room and a guy busts in, it doesn;t matter how quickly you can manipulate the key or if you even have one..because your guns probably aren;t sitting in your lap either way.  If, however, you have a pistol in your nightstand and your key in your dresser, and hear the window in your living room break.....

I've repeatedly stated that I think the home defense crowd is nuts, but that doesn't excuse poor rhetoric, and poor rhetoric makes it easier on the nuts. There's no point in bitching about the inanity of the NRA, or any other ammosexual moron, if we're going to provide the other side of the same coin. Is home defense a good argument, not in my opinion, no. Can home defense be accomplished with a safely stored firearm...ofc it can, but who cares, because shooting a gun in your house is a bad idea, drywall isn't made out of sandbags.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
But that is the argument the gun nuts make.  "I've got to be ready to defend myself."  If you disable the gun you leave yourself at risk.

Even the NRA recommends trigger locks.

https://www.nrafamily.org/articles/2016/...-firearms/

Quote:1. Trigger Locks are a simple and affordable option for preventing a gun from being loaded or fired by an unauthorized user. Whether they are provided by the manufacturer or the dealer, most new guns are now sold with a trigger lock right in the box. These locks take different forms. A trigger shoe clamps down around the trigger or trigger housing to prevent the trigger from being manipulated. Because these devices come into direct contact with the trigger, they should never be installed on loaded guns.

Even those morons know you don't store loaded weapons.
Right, because trigger locks and locked bolts are just a good idea.  I;d just ask the folks who think they need to keep their firearms loaded and unlocked why they're so damned incompetent with their own firearms that they've created an irrational fear out of it.  Takes me all of 3 seconds ready a firearm for use.  Why are they so bad at guns, and if they are, is it really a good idea to leave them lying around? It's also illegal, ofc...not that our asswipe prosecutors can be counted on to charge them.

It's all very frustrating.
They've been fed a line of shit by the NRA of "criminals" with guns that are out to get them.  It's just a fear campaign.
Absolutely, how else are they supposed to function as powerbrokers if they can't drum up mob support.  IMO, the NRA isn't remotely interested in rifles...I don't know if it ever was (too young)..but it's clear that they aren't now. Neither I, nor any of my redneck friends, are members. I don't think I know an NRA member, come to think of it. They just don't serve -our- interests. Anecdotal, ofc, and a limited sample.
(June 25, 2016 at 11:38 am)Rhythm Wrote: Mostly because it's not a fact.  A safely stored weapon can be made ready for use with the turn of a key - which manufacturers have been incorporating into their actions for a decade now, or can be bought for 3$ at walmart for older models or economy models without key locked actions.

Yep, so not ready for  immediate action. Guy breaks in, points gun at you. You say "Hang on, gotta unlock the shootin' iron." Really? If you're in your jammies watching "Thrones", where's the key?
(June 25, 2016 at 11:52 am)Rhythm Wrote: I'm not the kind of guy that fondles his gun while watching tv, or that would shoot a gun in my own home, lol.  The scenario you've painted isn;t at all representative of what people are referring to, ofc.  If you're in your living room and a guy busts in, it doesn;t matter how quickly you can manipulate the key or if you even have one..because your guns probably aren;t sitting in your lap either way.  If, however, you have a pistol in your nightstand and your key in your dresser, and hear the window in your living room break.... 
Snore, the "perfect scenario" again. How long does it take to get from the front door to your bedroom door? You good at finding the gun, finding the key, and unlocking it in the dark? No, you're  just human.
You're grasping at straws.  I don't have to "find" the key.  I know where it is, if I didn't...how could I be sure my kids didn't have it?  As far as my bedroom to my living room..another 3 seconds...maybe? I have long legs. It's all irrelevant in my case, anyway -because I won;t be firing a gun in my home, ever..even if I found a man in my home pointing one at me.

"Take whatever you want and leave, I'll give you a long headstart before I call the cops, I don't remember anything about you, I have children"
-simple as that, for me.

Look, I'm not defending their line, I'm suggesting that you find a better way to respond to it, or accept that you're fueling the fire you wish to extinguish.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If the 25th amendment wasn't meant for Trump, then who was it meant for? GODZILLA 24 1763 October 20, 2018 at 1:22 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Ivanka insulting the mothers of all immigrants, or better: all immigrants. WinterHold 22 2276 May 31, 2018 at 8:31 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Can someone tell me where in the 2nd amendment it says you can carry machine guns? NuclearEnergy 310 72605 May 16, 2017 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Paul Ryan (must watch) 39 second vid Manowar 2 1159 March 7, 2017 at 8:30 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  America Divided: Second Civil War Coming? Secular Elf 81 13000 February 24, 2017 at 9:37 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Naturally. The Fuckers Only Care About The Second Amendment. Minimalist 14 1983 December 10, 2016 at 7:48 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Trump's 2nd amendment call to arms not a criminal offense? Whateverist 17 3133 August 11, 2016 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Petition: second referendum for leaving the EU robvalue 37 4387 June 25, 2016 at 1:22 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  Fuckhead Judge Faces Second Ouster AFTT47 3 1177 May 7, 2016 at 3:40 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  All Hail The Free Market Minimalist 7 2406 September 26, 2015 at 5:23 pm
Last Post: Minimalist