Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 10, 2024, 4:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
All Hail the Second Amendment
RE: All Hail the Second Amendment
(March 21, 2018 at 4:29 pm)rskovride Wrote:
Quote: I'm in favor of single-shot per load only guns of any type. One round per barrel, max two barrels for shotguns, one barrel for everything else.

All I'm saying is that when making a policy or editing the 2nd amendment, what citizens will actually accept, should be considered.

I agree that the 2nd is out of date, how could the FF's have known the atrocities that would be committed in the 20th century alone that are related to the essence of the 2nd. Disarmament of civilians was pretty much a precondition for lots of terrible things in the last 100 years.

Half of Americans don't own a gun. Three percent of Americans own half the guns in the country. That ~123,000,000 guns owned by ~900,000 people.
Half of the American population is pretty substantial. I don't understand the point though. Are you just saying that the 3 percent are obsessed? If so, I agree.

Does that mean that the 3% on average have 123 guns each? That doesn't seem correct. Source?
(March 21, 2018 at 3:57 pm)rskovride Wrote:
(March 21, 2018 at 3:31 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I'm a strict constructionalist when it comes to the 2d Amendment.  This is what the FF had in mind.

[Image: graveceremonies.gif]

No automatic or semi-automatic weapons in civilian hands.

Was that an answer in preparation for an argument?  It doesn't seem very pragmatic.  I don't have any intent to argue.  I only mention it because I feel that 'No automatic or semi-automatic weapons in civilian hands.' will ever be a reality, even if it were policy.  At least not where I live. You should hear some of the things said by people around me, one even making plans to hide caches of weapons.  Crazy.

They managed it in Australia.  Perhaps the Aussies are smarter than we are?

BTW, if you ban them then anyone who has one after the effective date is no longer a "law-abiding gun owner" and is subject to arrest and confiscation of his guns.

I'm not sure I agree with your presumption that we should let the craziest of the crazy define our society.
(March 21, 2018 at 4:45 pm)Minimalist Wrote: They managed it in Australia.  Perhaps the Aussies are smarter than we are?

BTW, if you ban them then anyone who has one after the effective date is no longer a "law-abiding gun owner" and is subject to arrest and confiscation of his guns.

I'm not sure I agree with your presumption that we should let the craziest of the crazy define our society.

But "this is 'Murica" and "we do our own thing instead of what other countries do".

Perhaps the way to truly "Make America Great Again" is to do some things that other countries do.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
I'd start with National Health Insurance but gun control would be second.
Minimalist Wrote:I'm not sure I agree with your presumption that we should let the craziest of the crazy define our society.

I'm not presuming anything, just trying to join the conversation to learn more about it.

The cache thing was an outlier, but there is a much bigger general concern that I think should be considered beyond reckoning it as just a bunch of crazies.
Anyone with a personal arsenal qualifies as a "crazy" IMHO.
(March 21, 2018 at 4:45 pm)rskovride Wrote: Half of the American population is pretty substantial.  I don't understand the point though. Are you just saying that the 3 percent are obsessed? If so, I agree.

Does that mean that the 3% on average have 123 guns each? That doesn't seem correct.  Source?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2016.../90858752/
(March 21, 2018 at 5:08 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(March 21, 2018 at 4:45 pm)rskovride Wrote: Half of the American population is pretty substantial.  I don't understand the point though. Are you just saying that the 3 percent are obsessed? If so, I agree.

Does that mean that the 3% on average have 123 guns each? That doesn't seem correct.  Source?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2016.../90858752/

This says an average of 17 guns each, that's believable.  So, what is the solution then?
I'm one of the crazies with the arsenals I guess.  : shrugs :

@123 guns.  Nah, the 3% are people between 8 and 140 guns.

Quote: So, what is the solution then?
A better question would be.."what's the problem". Ownership is not the problem. Someone owning 17 guns isn't a problem. People want to stop gun crime, shootings. So..if that's the problem, a very specific answer to "whats' the problem" can be derived from atf trace data. In alabama (just a random example), it's pistols in 9mm that are ten years old.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If the 25th amendment wasn't meant for Trump, then who was it meant for? GODZILLA 24 1767 October 20, 2018 at 1:22 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Ivanka insulting the mothers of all immigrants, or better: all immigrants. WinterHold 22 2276 May 31, 2018 at 8:31 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Can someone tell me where in the 2nd amendment it says you can carry machine guns? NuclearEnergy 310 72617 May 16, 2017 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Paul Ryan (must watch) 39 second vid Manowar 2 1159 March 7, 2017 at 8:30 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  America Divided: Second Civil War Coming? Secular Elf 81 13028 February 24, 2017 at 9:37 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Naturally. The Fuckers Only Care About The Second Amendment. Minimalist 14 1983 December 10, 2016 at 7:48 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Trump's 2nd amendment call to arms not a criminal offense? Whateverist 17 3133 August 11, 2016 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Petition: second referendum for leaving the EU robvalue 37 4387 June 25, 2016 at 1:22 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  Fuckhead Judge Faces Second Ouster AFTT47 3 1177 May 7, 2016 at 3:40 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  All Hail The Free Market Minimalist 7 2408 September 26, 2015 at 5:23 pm
Last Post: Minimalist