Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 9, 2024, 9:37 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Last Movie You Watched
RE: The Last Movie You Watched
(March 5, 2019 at 9:22 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote: Granted, I have yet to watch either Hulu or Netflix' documentaries, but I suspect that they'll just build on the same material.

I have since watched both the Hulu and Netflix Fyre Documentaries. While, admittedly, the picture of the disaster is pretty much the same as Internet Historian made it, the two films managed to fill in some of the details for how badly they fucked up, because not only did they try to build a ludicrously elaborate festival in the span of a few months, they decided to hold it on a weekend that's, in the words of one interviewee, "bigger than Christmas," and, when they found an island to host it, they broke the biggest condition they were given and proclaimed the island's relationship with Pablo Escobar as early as they could, and when the shit went down and Billy-boy was finally arrested (for reasons that are, surprisingly, NOT related to Fyre) and got bailed out, he decided to keep scamming and even more blatantly this time, by offering meet-and-greets with artists who don't do meet-and-greets and selling tickets to events that DON'T EVEN SELL TICKETS.

The Hulu one is a bit more underwhelming than the Netflix one, despite the addition of interviews with Billy-Boy himself, due to its being pretty heavy-handed (Millennials are solipsistic and egotistical leading them to fall for shit like this, Billy-Boy is Trump, and Jerry Media is the devil; admittedly, not theses I would reject, even as a Millennial myself, but still) and heavy overuse of computerised voices for documents that don't have their own sound, but it was still fairly enlightening. One interesting thing I discovered was that, in addition to using the festival to promote the Fyre App, he wanted to use it to help create a thriving community of artists in the Caribbean.

Admittedly, this is actually an intriguing idea, and especially poignant after one finds out about how there used to be an amazing community of musicians on Montserrat, with albums like Brothers in Arms and Synchronicity being recorded there and Jimmy Buffet writing one of his biggest songs About it, and ultimately foreshadowing the 1997 volcanic eruption that left most of the island uninhabitable and led to 2/3 of the population leaving. It would be so awesome for such a thing to happen again, even if it is on an island that's going to be underwater by 2100. That said, clearly, Billy-Boy did it in the worst possible way, doing it somewhere with no infrastructure, on an absurdly small timeline, and setting up the festival before creating the thriving community.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
I recently watched some episodes of that new BBC documentary show "Dynasties" and it's really great, especially episode on chimps. But there is also a heartbreaking fact that in the last 25 years about 80% of chimpanzees in Senegal were destroyed.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
A Quiet Place - 8/10
Just saw Greta in the theater. Honestly it was a pretty decent thriller - nothing groundbreaking but I don’t care because I love thrillers and horror movies. Definitely a must-watch if you’re a fan of the genre.

I’m also quite excited to see Us later this month.
If you're frightened of dying, and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the Earth.
Early this week, I watched "Jupiter Ascending"

One of the ways I assess a film is whether I'm still thinking about it several days later. here it is Friday, and I'm still thinking of it.

Sure it has some flaws, but I thought it was great science fantasy., with outstanding CGI.  

I thought the acting was uneven, disliking Tatum Channing and thought Eddie Redmayne  was badly miscast. One of few times I've regretted not smoking weed. (I'm allergic, I get very sick)----Those CGI' would probably be amazing with some chemical assistance.
(March 7, 2019 at 6:57 pm)fredd bear Wrote: Early this week, I watched "Jupiter Ascending"

One of the ways I assess a film is whether I'm still thinking about it several days later. here it is Friday, and I'm still thinking of it.

Sure it has some flaws, but I thought it was great science fantasy., with outstanding CGI.  

I thought the acting was uneven, disliking Tatum Channing and thought Eddie Redmayne  was badly miscast. One of few times I've regretted not smoking weed. (I'm allergic, I get very sick)----Those CGI' would probably be amazing with some chemical assistance.

Oh, YOU'RE the one that liked it.  I knew there had to be somebody.  Smile

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Beautiful movie, but Sean Penn didn't die, so it gets no more than a six.
(March 7, 2019 at 7:13 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Beautiful movie, but Sean Penn didn't die, so it gets no more than a six.

Was Sean Penn in that mess?  Must have been in one of the bits I dozed through.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(March 7, 2019 at 12:29 am)Fake Messiah Wrote: I recently watched some episodes of that new BBC documentary show "Dynasties" and it's really great, especially episode on chimps. But there is also a heartbreaking fact that in the last 25 years about 80% of chimpanzees in Senegal were destroyed.

You should see what's been happening with the world's vulture populations. India managed to almost entirely destroy their vulture population with the use of a rogue antibiotic, and a lot of Africa's vultures are being targeted. Now half of all species of Old World Vulture are critically endangered, and thanks to other, more disease-carrying scavengers filling up the void the vultures left, India now has a higher rate of rabies than any other nation.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
...and here we were going through the trouble of shooting them when poisoning did a much better job.  Wink
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  About last night (A Haiku) no one 2 565 March 18, 2023 at 8:58 am
Last Post: no one
  What is your movie guilty pleasure? arewethereyet 51 3778 December 18, 2022 at 12:42 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Charles Bronson movie star Woah0 9 805 September 12, 2022 at 10:25 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  In Hunchback of Notre Dame Disney movie, does Quasimodo imagine the gargoyles Woah0 5 581 August 24, 2022 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: Woah0
  How come "Snow White Disney movie" was so disliked by J.R.R Tolkien and C.S Lewis Woah0 3 466 August 21, 2022 at 10:56 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Soul 2020 movie Woah0 6 501 August 19, 2022 at 4:18 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  What Were You Dreaming About Last Night? Disagreeable 17 1708 February 2, 2022 at 11:51 am
Last Post: no one
  Last night my 10-year old daughter said that she did not believe in God. Jehanne 22 2265 December 26, 2021 at 5:37 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Horror movie suggestions BrokenQuill92 16 1681 December 7, 2021 at 5:25 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  The last book you read zwanzig 27 1757 October 18, 2021 at 9:45 am
Last Post: brewer