Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 10, 2024, 10:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Last Movie You Watched
RE: The Last Movie You Watched
I've never seen that movie.

*runs and hides*
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(August 20, 2021 at 8:24 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Donny, you’re outta your element!!

Boru

Yeah, heard that line a bunch of times.  Generally I really enjoy Coen Bros. films, but this one seemed a little half-baked.  (pun intended)
Why is it so?
~Julius Sumner Miller
(June 27, 2013 at 9:36 pm)Foxaire Wrote: [Image: MV5BMjExNDkzNjAwOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDMz...SX214_.jpg]

Quote:When a veteran 911 operator takes a life-altering call from a teenage girl who has just been abducted, she realizes that she must confront a killer from her past in order to save the girl's life.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1911644/

One of the most intense movies I have seen in a long time.  A must see!

I just watched the highly acclaimed "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" for the first time.

I failed to see the genius.

Then I found out the guy who wrote the screen play was on LSD the whole time.

This is why you don't take Marxist Hollywood's advice on what the great movies are.
(August 21, 2021 at 12:19 pm)Mashmont Wrote: I just watched the highly acclaimed "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" for the first time.

This is why you don't take Marxist Hollywood's advice on what the great movies are.

Gee, whiz.  So insightful...
Why is it so?
~Julius Sumner Miller
(August 21, 2021 at 2:41 pm)Spongebob Wrote:
(August 21, 2021 at 12:19 pm)Mashmont Wrote: I just watched the highly acclaimed "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" for the first time.

Gee, whiz.  So insightful...
What did you want?
Documentary, Bowie: The Man Who Changed The World.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
This week in the Deep Hurting Project: Stardust, a David Bowie biopic made without the consent of the Bowie estate, so, consequently, there's no Bowie songs. And when we're so bereft of the entire reason we're in there, you may as well just change the names and create new songs, like Velvet Goldmine did.
  • And we start with a shitty "Homage" to 2001: A Space Odyssey that turns out to be a dream when we realise that nothing about it makes sense.
  • Who is David Bowie? What does he stand for? Why do I get the feeling this movie doesn't know?
  • So, fun fact: a few months ago, I bought a book called Bowie's Books and it's structured around a list of 100 books the man recommended, and it gives us a hundred or so cross-sections into his life, and they're all tantalysing looks into this man's life, from the young lad reading Beano comics to a man dying of cancer, concerned with the decline of American intellectualism the same way Susan Jacoby was. As I write this, we're 20 minutes in, and what do we know about Bowie? That he's an androgynous young musician (who doesn't play music) who likes to wear dresses and has shit teeth. And that's it. This Bowie couldn't pass the Plinkett test. Well, maybe he's optimistic about how well the trip's going to go, but even that rings as false. Say what you will about Bohemian Rhapsody, you could at least get a handle on what Freddie Mercury (even if it's just Mercury as a fictional character) was like.
  • It's so convenient that the filmmakers picked a part of Bowie's life where he was contractually not allowed to do music.
  • Man, that vacuum cleaner looks so interesting, I wonder how much- Oh, right. This is a David Bowie movie. 
  • Why is Bowie The Lumineers? And why can't I tell what his song about a woman lying bleeding on the floor was? 
  • And what the fuck is this flashback even supposed to mean?
  • Fucking Christ, I knew they couldn't get the rights to Bowie's music, but I was not aware that this extended to changing the lyrics to "The Man Who Wasn't There" to the first stanza of "Antigonish." And it's the one song on the album that the audience is likely to know. 
  • To be fair, this cover of "Amsterdam" is heartbreaking. Specifically, it breaks my heart how little emotion was put in this cover. I legit did not think it was even possble to give that little of a shit while doing it. And here's how he did it in reality:

• A rock star or a person pretending to be a rock star, what's the difference? Are you shitting me?
  • Only one psychotic episode, but multiple violent outbursts? That doesn't sound the least bit mutually exclusive.
  • Pierrot is not the pantomime fool. That's Arleccino. Fucking Christ, Inside No. 9 did an entire episode about how Commedia Dell'Arte works. 
  • You know, it's impressive how comparing the songs Bowie performs in this movie and his actual career sound so different. Somehow, the man who plays Bowie has had several albums and he somehow can't get invested in what he's doing.
  • I've spent an abnormally-sized part of my life fearing losing my mind, and somehow, I'm having a hard time connecting to Bowie's fear of losing his. And he's even gone as far as going all Peter Sellers, claiming that the real David doesn't exist and that that's why he's been so boring throughout the film. Blow me.
  • And to think that Jena Malone's pregnant with the same man who would deny this film the right to put any of his songs.
  • So Bowie's brother Terry wants to be Sammy Davis, Jr? Well, just be sure to take that eye out, Terry.
  • To be fair, King and Queen tended to be Master and Slave, at least to an extent. King and Queen being co-regnant has been very rare. In British history, I can only remember two examples: William and Mary only lasted about five years before Mary died, and as for Stephen and Matilda, well, the fact that their era was called The Anarchy should say it all. Also, they were never king and queen at the same time.
  • As much as I love The Yardbirds, I have to ask: why use "I Wish You Would" throughout the movie? You know, you could have actually used "Let's Spend The Night Together" or "White Light/White Heat" and been a bit accurate to the music without having to use one of his actual songs. Hell, you could have used the latter in the scene where he meets Doug "Not-The-Lou-Reed" Yule and had it be a callback.
  • And the movie ends as Bowie performs "My Death" and barely even sounds like Bowie.
Well, this was shit. Maybe next week, I'll take Apartment 1303, and after that, who the fuck knows? Maybe I'll go to Tubi, maybe I'll find what pieces of shit are available in full on YouTube, maybe I'll actually break down and check out The Grudge 2020 and Black Christmas 2019, but I think I'll put off those two. Especially the last one.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
The Old Ways
https://m.imdb.com/title/tt12829958/
Netflix
~ Erin Hunter
After Darkness
https://m.imdb.com/title/tt2728784/
Hulu
~ Erin Hunter
Come True
https://m.imdb.com/title/tt7026488/
Hulu
~ Erin Hunter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  About last night (A Haiku) no one 2 565 March 18, 2023 at 8:58 am
Last Post: no one
  What is your movie guilty pleasure? arewethereyet 51 3778 December 18, 2022 at 12:42 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Charles Bronson movie star Woah0 9 806 September 12, 2022 at 10:25 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  In Hunchback of Notre Dame Disney movie, does Quasimodo imagine the gargoyles Woah0 5 581 August 24, 2022 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: Woah0
  How come "Snow White Disney movie" was so disliked by J.R.R Tolkien and C.S Lewis Woah0 3 466 August 21, 2022 at 10:56 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Soul 2020 movie Woah0 6 503 August 19, 2022 at 4:18 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  What Were You Dreaming About Last Night? Disagreeable 17 1708 February 2, 2022 at 11:51 am
Last Post: no one
  Last night my 10-year old daughter said that she did not believe in God. Jehanne 22 2266 December 26, 2021 at 5:37 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Horror movie suggestions BrokenQuill92 16 1683 December 7, 2021 at 5:25 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  The last book you read zwanzig 27 1757 October 18, 2021 at 9:45 am
Last Post: brewer