Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 20, 2024, 4:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 1.57 Average
Proving The Resurrection By the Minimal Facts Approach
RE: Proving The Resurrection By the Minimal Facts Approach
(June 26, 2015 at 2:44 am)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote:
(June 25, 2015 at 11:17 am)Godschild Wrote: You think they were going to give up their good life style, for something that would have destroyed it, look at the track record of the Israelites and you will see they coveted money more than their God most of the time.

GC
If you're not an Israelite why do you worship their deity?  As you pointed out, even they weren't too gung-ho about their own deity.

I worship the God of all mankind, do you really believe the Israelites were around before Abraham. Do you even understand why God made the nation of Israel. Your like the Israelites they believed they owned God, it's why they failed so often, if they had realized God had accepted them maybe things would have been different though I really doubt it.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(June 24, 2015 at 9:25 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: The Minimal Facts (4+1)

The minimal facts include four that are so strongly evidenced that nearly every scholar (including the skeptic) regards them as reliable facts. The fifth fact, the "+1", is accepted by a significant number of scholars though not nearly as many as the first four.

The Minimal Facts are:

1. Jesus died by crucifixion
2. Jesus' disciples believed that He rose and appeared to them
3. Saul, the persecutor of the Church, was suddenly changed
4. James, the skeptical brother of Jesus, was suddenly changed
5. Jesus' tomb was found to be empty

In subsequent posts, I will present the evidence in support of each of these facts.

Sorry, no.  None of those statements are facts - they are unsupported claims.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
(June 26, 2015 at 8:00 am)Tonus Wrote:
(June 25, 2015 at 8:56 pm)Godschild Wrote: You must not pay much attention to what's going on in the world, it's money, wealth, things, all the things Satan would have use to pay attention to, why, so we will be distracted from God. He pulled this on Eve, he told he of the great wealth of knowledge she would gain, again and again greed.

Quote:I am unaware of anyone today who had it made clear to him by god and satan that they both exist and that they have something to offer.

I've never met anyone either, I have been made aware of the fact Satan exists, it comes from God and now by what I see in many people. God has made it abundantly clear He exists in my life and has everything to offer that's good. Satan on the other hand is called the deceiver, he would rather people believe he doesn't exist, it's to his advantage for people to believe this and Satan has nothing to offer, he's now a pawn in God's great plan and he hates it.

Quote:Eve, for example, knew god personally and spoke with the serpent directly.  If she understood the stakes, she chose a path which she knew would lead to her death.  

You know what I find really strange about Eve's attitude when she dealt with the serpent, she told him before hand she would die and even added to the commandment from God about toughing the fruit as if to emphasize that she wasn't going to eat it. Seemed to me she knew that no matter what the serpent said she would die if she disobeyed God.

Quote:The Israelites who were freed from bondage by god saw his hand in action directly.  They knew what god offered and what he was capable of.  

God said they were a stubborn, hardheaded clan and that this attitude would come to bite them, low and behold it did. The great problem the Israelites had was they believed they owned God because He told them they were a special people, they forgot to ask why He considered them special and when God told them they didn't believe what they heard.

Quote:Jesus' disciples knew him personally and saw him in action.  They knew who god was and what he could and would do.

Right they had a physical encounter with Christ and understood clearly what God was capable of.

Quote:Even Christians today do not claim to experience god or Jesus in this manner.  If people are driven by certain desires --that often can be identified as evolutionary traits-- in the absence of any gods, that makes perfect sense.  What doesn't make sense is when people who knew god --on the basis that the Biblical characters did-- nonetheless make decisions that can only possibly end badly, when the only other option was the best possible outcome ever.  Unless they were clinically insane or abysmally stupid, there is no way they make such a bad choice.

Christ told Thomas you have believed because you saw, but blessed are those who will believe without seeing. Because of our faith in the unseen God we can be blessed with the same knowledge that those who saw Him had, does this make sense to you? 

Since there is a God that doesn't have a leg to stand on. Humans lost their perfection when Adam and Eve disobeyed God, we became full of our own selfishness that leads to sin, if we were perfect there would have never been a need for Christ and the cross. The ability to have free will cost God a great deal more than we can possibly know at this time, I'm saying this because if we had known what our sin really cost God and ourselves we may have turned out differently, but then our free will would have been gone. Real love can only come through our freedom to choose to love, it's something that can't be forced and that's what God wants from us, to love Him through our choice to do so. 
Have a good weekend see you Monday if God's willing and the creek don't rise.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(June 26, 2015 at 2:01 am)Godschild Wrote: There is prophecy in the OT and NT and the stories of the OT are true, real and without error.

Yet more unsupported assertions.
If you were trying to make religious people appear fools, you couldn't do better than you already are.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
(June 26, 2015 at 5:56 pm)abaris Wrote:
(June 26, 2015 at 2:01 am)Godschild Wrote: Why do you think Adam and Eve were naked?

Because god likes to watch?

Not even close try again, this time try to be serious for a change.

GC
It's like taking candy from an asshole, Chas.
(June 27, 2015 at 3:02 am)Chas Wrote:
(June 26, 2015 at 2:01 am)Godschild Wrote: There is prophecy in the OT and NT and the stories of the OT are true, real and without error.

Yet more unsupported assertions.  
If you were trying to make religious people appear fools, you couldn't do better than you already are.

Just because you have decided they weren't true doesn't change the fact they are.

GC
Just because you fell for a pile of shit doesn't make them true, either.
(June 25, 2015 at 9:41 pm)tonechaser77 Wrote: GC when you learn how to present logical arguments based on evidence that is actually reliable come back and talk to me, otherwise save your rationalizations for for people that don't know any better. You insult my intelligence.

Simple truths have always confounded those who believe themselves more intelligent than they are.

GC
(June 25, 2015 at 9:24 pm)Stimbo Wrote: You and I obviously set the bar on what constitutes sufficient at polar opposites.

Yeah you trip over it all the time my friend.

GC

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Proving evolution? LinuxGal 24 2818 March 19, 2023 at 10:36 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  What will win the god wars? Faith, Fantasy, Facts, or God? Greatest I am 98 6546 December 28, 2020 at 12:01 pm
Last Post: Greatest I am
  In what way is the Resurrection the best explanation? GrandizerII 159 15891 November 25, 2019 at 6:46 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Travis Walton versus The Resurrection. Jehanne 61 15869 November 29, 2017 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Why do Christians believe in the Resurrection of Jesus but not alien abductions? Jehanne 72 12003 June 27, 2016 at 1:54 am
Last Post: Redbeard The Pink
  We can be certain of NO resurrection - A Response Randy Carson 136 38149 October 2, 2015 at 4:10 am
Last Post: Aractus
  Disproving The Resurrection By The Maximal Facts Approach BrianSoddingBoru4 160 25649 July 5, 2015 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  Obama and the simulated resurrection professor 116 18362 April 25, 2015 at 10:39 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  MERGED: The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ (Part 1) & (Part 2) His_Majesty 1617 332562 January 12, 2015 at 5:58 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ (Part Ad Neuseum) YahwehIsTheWay 32 7304 December 11, 2014 at 4:58 pm
Last Post: robvalue