Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 17, 2024, 11:37 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism the unscientific belief (part one, two, and three)
RE: Atheism the unscientific believe.
@lkingpinl
No it hasn't. For the hundreths time, your notion of time and space do not necessarily apply near the big bang.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(July 31, 2015 at 8:57 am)Little Rik Wrote:
(July 30, 2015 at 1:03 pm)lkingpinl Wrote: Very true Rob.  Ask someone to explain what consciousness IS.  We can explain its effects and perceptions, relation to brain, etc.  But what IS it?  Same with energy.  What is it?  Just because we don't know what it is doesn't means it's not real nor should we right off a person as an intellectual because they cannot explain it.  The simple answer, "We don't know".

It is not true that WE do not know.
As you say WE you already admit that you are the consciousness.
Who is We or I then?
That is not the brain. 
The brain is made of matter so it can't be it.
Who then other than YOU.
But the problem is not so simple especially when someone consciousness is not that strong.
The muscles can be very very weak and flaccid or can be very very strong or anywhere in the middle
according to our exercised or not exercises.
The consciousness works on similar lines.
If we make it stronger with our efforts then we will be able to understand who is who.
On the contrary if we do nothing then we may well confuse the consciousness with the brain or with nothing
and from nothing you get nothing real.  Lightbulb

Consciousness is made in your brain, Rik. I still don't exactly see how that's possible, but you seem to be using language in some capacity and you are somehow getting it onto the internet, so I have to assume that you're a conscious human who is at least intelligent enough to use an electronic device.

Brains, Rik. The self comes from your brain. The maintenance of your systems comes from your brain. The idea of a permeating god consciousness comes from brains. The reluctance to admit wrongdoing and accept new information comes from your damn brain.

Burden of proof, Rik. It's on you. It's not up to us to prove you wrong. The title of your thread is so hypocritical it should make your eyes bleed.
Verbatim from the mouth of Jesus (retranslated from a retranslation of a copy of a copy):

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you too will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. How can you see your brother's head up his ass when your own vision is darkened by your head being even further up your ass? How can you say to your brother, 'Get your head out of your ass,' when all the time your head is up your own ass? You hypocrite! First take your head out of your own ass, and then you will see clearly who has his head up his ass and who doesn't." Matthew 7:1-5 (also Luke 6: 41-42)

Also, I has a website: www.RedbeardThePink.com
(July 31, 2015 at 9:07 am)Alex K Wrote: @lkingpinl
No it hasn't. For the hundreths time, your notion of time and space do not necessarily apply near the big bang.

Alex I'm not sure where you are getting this notion from.  As I said, not all scientists are convinced that the universe had a beginning but it is the overwhelming consensus.  Should we discount the experts in the fields of cosmology who overwhelmingly agree that the evidence points to the universe being finite?

In a lecture given by Stephen Hawking, he stated:  "All the evidence seems to indicate, that the universe has not existed forever, but that it had a beginning, about 15 billion years ago. This is probably the most remarkable discovery of modern cosmology."  Link: http://www.hawking.org.uk/the-beginning-of-time.html
We are not made happy by what we acquire but by what we appreciate.
(July 31, 2015 at 8:57 am)Alex K Wrote:
(July 31, 2015 at 8:43 am)Little Rik Wrote: No problems with that.
You can have the demonstration within.
As soon as you engage in spirituality you will notice a change in your life for the better.
If the spirit within wouldn't exist then you wouldn't be able to perceive any change.
As far as the demonstration that you mean i am sure that you are talking about a physical demonstration.
Let us see if this demonstration is possible.
Can you transfer the feeling of love that you feel when you are in love with your loved one?
Can you make me feel that feeling?
How can you Alex?
It is impossible.
And if it is impossible to transfer physical-mental love just imagine how can be even more difficult to transfer
spiritual love which is so much more powerful than the physical one.  Lightbulb

No I can't, and that's precisely why I don't think that love is a fundamental principle or property of nature. That being said, once we understand the human brain better, the feat you inquire about may well become possible - but this will only underline the fact that love, like consciousness, is entirely the result of a physical process, and not an independent substance.

Yours is a guessing Alex.
You find very difficult to distinguish between physical mental and of course nothing else as the spiritual side is absent in your thinking so in this way it is not possible to understand how the whole system works.
Suppose you are an engineer.
You create an engine that will have to be put inside a bodywork.
Now you will have to choose a body that fit your engine so there will a parallelism among the two and the vehicle
will be able to go properly.
Now suppose that the soul or consciousness of someone is put inside a body that fit it perfectly.
Can you say that the consciousness is a product of the body or the brain?
Of course not.
According to yoga is the consciousness that goes inside a body-brain most suitable for that consciousness progress.
This has absolutely nothing to do with whether the consciousness is a product of the brain or the brain is a product of the consciousness.
It is all about creating a perfect parallelism among body and consciousness.  Lightbulb
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speak...ists-find/
JUST BECAUSE we have a conscience is not proof for a god read this article I found today, apparently even plans can feel pain and send stress signals!!!
The Hawking quote is to be put in context, it is an oversimplification of the issue -

http://www.counterbalance.org/cq-guth/index-frame.html

I'm not saying that inflation is correct with certainty, but the fact that it is a valid hypothesis tells you that a beginning as you'd like it is not "proven" by a long shot.

(July 31, 2015 at 9:14 am)lkingpinl Wrote:
(July 31, 2015 at 9:07 am)Alex K Wrote: @lkingpinl

Alex I'm not sure where you are getting this notion from.  As I said, not all scientists are convinced that the universe had a beginning but it is the overwhelming consensus.  Should we discount the experts in the fields of cosmology who overwhelmingly agree that the evidence points to the universe being finite?

In a lecture given by Stephen Hawking, he stated:  "All the evidence seems to indicate, that the universe has not existed forever, but that it had a beginning, about 15 billion years ago. This is probably the most remarkable discovery of modern cosmology."  Link: http://www.hawking.org.uk/the-beginning-of-time.html

G
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Rik. It's really very simple.

Demonstrate consciousness occurring outside of a brain.

More inane ramblings fueled by illegal substances in 3.....2....
(July 31, 2015 at 9:13 am)Redbeard The Pink Wrote:
(July 31, 2015 at 8:57 am)Little Rik Wrote: It is not true that WE do not know.
As you say WE you already admit that you are the consciousness.
Who is We or I then?
That is not the brain. 
The brain is made of matter so it can't be it.
Who then other than YOU.
But the problem is not so simple especially when someone consciousness is not that strong.
The muscles can be very very weak and flaccid or can be very very strong or anywhere in the middle
according to our exercised or not exercises.
The consciousness works on similar lines.
If we make it stronger with our efforts then we will be able to understand who is who.
On the contrary if we do nothing then we may well confuse the consciousness with the brain or with nothing
and from nothing you get nothing real.  Lightbulb

Consciousness is made in your brain, Rik. I still don't exactly see how that's possible, but you seem to be using language in some capacity and you are somehow getting it onto the internet, so I have to assume that you're a conscious human who is at least intelligent enough to use an electronic device.

Brains, Rik. The self comes from your brain. The maintenance of your systems comes from your brain. The idea of a permeating god consciousness comes from brains. The reluctance to admit wrongdoing and accept new information comes from your damn brain.

Burden of proof, Rik. It's on you. It's not up to us to prove you wrong. The title of your thread is so hypocritical it should make your eyes bleed.

The brain is made of matter while the consciousness is something abstract.
The brain give energy to the consciousness so this consciousness can be active and think or do things.
It is like the vehicle that you drive.
Without the vehicle you could not proceed along this life.
That doesn't mean that the vehicle is you.
It is the driver that dictate what to do not the vehicle.
But don't worry Red.
Sooner or later this issue will be known to you.
As the old granny said........IS NEVER TOO LATE TO LEARN.  Smile
(July 31, 2015 at 9:33 am)Neimenovic Wrote: Rik. It's really very simple.

Demonstrate consciousness occurring outside of a brain.

More inane ramblings fueled by illegal substances in 3.....2....

Read some interesting NDEs experiences for your own good.

http://www.nderf.org/NDERF/NDE_Experienc..._s_nde.htm

http://www.nderf.org/NDERF/NDE_Archives/...counts.htm
Facepalm

This was all in the almost dying person's head, so how was it outside of a brain exactly?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christian and Atheism Worldwide Demographics: Current Realities and Future Trends. Nishant Xavier 55 2819 July 9, 2023 at 6:07 am
Last Post: no one
  How do I deal with the belief that maybe... Just maybe... God exists and I'm... Gentle_Idiot 75 6510 November 23, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How may one refute the religious stonewall argument "all is one"? Osopatata 29 2826 December 21, 2020 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Philosophical Failures of Christian Apologetics, Part 11: The Holy Spirit Cepheus Ace 18 3071 June 22, 2020 at 7:45 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Belief in God is a clinic Interaktive 55 5712 April 1, 2019 at 10:55 pm
Last Post: LostLocke
  Is atheism a belief? Agnostico 1023 85418 March 16, 2019 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Catharsis
  Isn't Atheism anti Christian than anti religious? Western part atleast Kibbi 14 3556 October 5, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  Do you know that homeopathy doesn't work, or do you just lack belief that it does? I_am_not_mafia 24 5317 August 25, 2018 at 4:34 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Two Myths I Wish Atheists Would Stop Buying Into Rhondazvous 26 4772 June 7, 2018 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Why Atheism/Secular Humanism... Part II TheReal 53 26052 April 23, 2018 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: Mystic