Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 17, 2024, 2:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism the unscientific belief (part one, two, and three)
RE: Atheism the unscientific believe.
Definitions for science from various sources:

Quote:Science is a systematic enterprise that builds and organizes knowledge in the form of testable explanations and predictions about the universe. In an older and closely related meaning, "science" also refers to this body of knowledge itself, of the type that can be rationally explained and reliably applied.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science

Quote:knowledge or a system of knowledge covering general truths or the operation of general laws especially as obtained and tested through scientific method.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/science

Quote:The intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behaviour of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/defini...sh/science

Notice that they all include experimentation, prediction, and testing.  Science is an empirical branch of knowledge testable in the real world.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
[Image: download.jpg]
(August 21, 2015 at 9:32 am)Redbeard The Pink Wrote:
(August 21, 2015 at 5:50 am)Little Rik Wrote: So, according to you it is more important where the source come from than whether the source make sense or not?
I would have thought you are a little bit smarter than that Pinky.

Quote:Science as we know it had an extremely slow start, but long about the 1100s is when you really start to get people thinking and working like modern scientists, and from that point on there's an explosion of knowledge that eventually drives world religions to dire means just to stay afloat (as indicated by the modern state of apologetics and the fact that in the Western world it's no longer appropriate to torture and slaughter "infidels.")

You say....1100s.
I say 7000 years ago.
Sure, we are all guessing as evidence doesn't come easy after so long.
Look at the ayurvedic science just to mention one.
It is so old that nobody really knows how old it is.
Some say 5000 years old, other say 7000 and Shiva is the inventor.
And what about the 7 notes.
Also the music is a science and again according to the legend it was Shiva that gave them to humanity.

Quote:I don't give a butt whether you are interested or not.
The reality is very clear.
Science started long long before this modern world and science always refer to a system of acquiring knowledge without limits about the source of knowledge.

Quote:No, again, that would be philosophy. Philosophy is the study (or any particular study) of ideas about knowledge, truth, the meaning of life, etc. It doesn't generally concern itself with actual evidence unless a specific philosophy calls for it (whereas science, on the other hand, DOES). The word you're looking for is "philosophy" if you refuse to use one like "superstition" or "religion."

Pinky, you haven't got the slightest clue about the meaning of philosophy so please refrain from using this word
until you make some progress in this field.  Thanks

Quote:There is no such a thing as the actual science.
Science is one and the meaning of this word is one whether is in the modern English or the old Sanskrit.

Quote:So what's the word for "science" in Old Sanskrit, then?

http://spokensanskrit.de/index.php?scrip...rection=ES

Quote:Yoga is not a religion and has never been crushed by anybody.
On the other hand a lot of physical so called evidence has been crushed and end up in the
rubbish bin of history.  Smile

Quote:Yoga: a Hindu spiritual and ascetic discipline, a part of which, including breath control, simple meditation, and the adoption of specific bodily postures, is widely practiced for health and relaxation.
Key words: Hindu, spiritual, ascetic
Ok, if you don't want to call it a standalone religion, it's at least a component to a religion. I realize people can do Yoga exercise without being Hindu or even considering the spiritual component, but that doesn't dismiss the fact that you seem to be using the term in some spiritual sense when it comes up, and spirituality is pretty much a supernaturalist thing. Naturalists concern themselves with positive mental health instead of fictional mental health. Spirituality, like god, deliberately dodges scientific scrutiny, which is a pretty good earmark of something that's unlikely to exist in the non-imaginary sense.

Once again you haven't got the slightest clue about yoga and Hinduism
so please refrain from making guessing after guessing.
Yoga is pure spirituality while Hinduism is a religion.
Yoga came first and Hinduism follow but after so long pure spirituality changed 
and gave way to ritualism which in practice is worth next to nothing.  Lightbulb
(August 21, 2015 at 11:59 am)Jenny A Wrote: Definitions for science from various sources:

Quote:Science is a systematic enterprise that builds and organizes knowledge in the form of testable explanations and predictions about the universe. In an older and closely related meaning, "science" also refers to this body of knowledge itself, of the type that can be rationally explained and reliably applied.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science

Quote:knowledge or a system of knowledge covering general truths or the operation of general laws especially as obtained and tested through scientific method.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/science

Quote:The intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behaviour of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/defini...sh/science

Notice that they all include experimentation, prediction, and testing.  Science is an empirical branch of knowledge testable in the real world.

Science is not only about the universe.
There is the science of music of medicine and so on and on and on but the most important science
is the science that give the most important solution to human problem and that science is called
intuitional science or the science that make you realize who you really are.  Lightbulb
Intuitional science is only a thing in yoga, Rikky -_-
(August 22, 2015 at 9:40 am)Little Rik Wrote: [...]
Yoga is pure spirituality while Hinduism is a religion.
[...]

Isn't yoga that thing people do when they put their own genitals in their mouths? Yeah - I'm pretty sure that's what it is.

If not - please Little Rik, teach us - what  do you call it, when you put your penis into your mouth? Is THAT Hinduism?

I'm all ears! Smile  Rolleyes  Tongue  I'm all ears!
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
(August 22, 2015 at 9:49 am)Little Rik Wrote: Science is not only about the universe.
There is the science of music of medicine and so on and on and on but the most important science
is the science that give the most important solution to human problem and that science is called
intuitional science or the science that make you realize who you really are.  Lightbulb
As you've just defined science as all areas human thought, have could any human possibly be unscientific by your ridiculously expansive definition?

BTW: intuitional science is an oxymoron though you could use the scientific method to study whether and how intuition works.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
I'll give the readers of this thread a summary of what exactly is going on here through an example.

Consider a subject such as History.
We are saying that History isn't science because well,it isn't.

Rik is saying that History is science,in the sense that any subject involved in History such as people,rocks,chairs,trains etc can all be "explained" using scientific methods.
In that sense,anything can be science since anything can be explained using at least some scientific methods.

Basically this is an argument where Rik is arguing some "Spiritual" thing he believes in is a science(albeit a "higher" science) in the sense that some of the things involved in this "Spirituality" dogpoop can be explained using some (most probably -not widely accepted) scientific methods.

Edit:
Actually,anything can be classified as science or art - A classification of Management as a Science and Art we had to study comes to mind.A subject can be categorized as a science or art if we weigh it and figure out in which end of the spectrum it falls closest to.
For example:

1+1 = 2. Can be classified as Mathematics as well as an art.
Art in the sense that people do this and people are artistic and bla bla bla that sort of bullshit.
But it falls closer to the spectrum of Mathematics therefore we can classify it as Mathematics rather than art.

What i want to say to Rik is that what he explains as science falls closer to an unscientific methods spectrum and therefore cannot be taken seriously as a science.
(August 22, 2015 at 11:32 am)pool Wrote: I'll give the readers of this thread a summary of what exactly is going on here through an example.
[...]

I believe I can summarize this thread in one sentence:

Little Rik thinks "magic" is "science" and everyone else is just wasting their time...
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
(August 22, 2015 at 11:32 am)pool Wrote: I'll give the readers of this thread a summary of what exactly is going on here through an example.

Consider a subject such as History.
We are saying that History isn't science because well,it isn't.
History proper is too a science.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christian and Atheism Worldwide Demographics: Current Realities and Future Trends. Nishant Xavier 55 2819 July 9, 2023 at 6:07 am
Last Post: no one
  How do I deal with the belief that maybe... Just maybe... God exists and I'm... Gentle_Idiot 75 6508 November 23, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How may one refute the religious stonewall argument "all is one"? Osopatata 29 2826 December 21, 2020 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Philosophical Failures of Christian Apologetics, Part 11: The Holy Spirit Cepheus Ace 18 3071 June 22, 2020 at 7:45 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Belief in God is a clinic Interaktive 55 5711 April 1, 2019 at 10:55 pm
Last Post: LostLocke
  Is atheism a belief? Agnostico 1023 85350 March 16, 2019 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Catharsis
  Isn't Atheism anti Christian than anti religious? Western part atleast Kibbi 14 3556 October 5, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  Do you know that homeopathy doesn't work, or do you just lack belief that it does? I_am_not_mafia 24 5315 August 25, 2018 at 4:34 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Two Myths I Wish Atheists Would Stop Buying Into Rhondazvous 26 4771 June 7, 2018 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Why Atheism/Secular Humanism... Part II TheReal 53 26052 April 23, 2018 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: Mystic