Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 14, 2024, 8:18 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Hello, i am a real Christian
RE: Hello, i am a real Christian
That's nothing compared to the fuck-ups in the buy-bull itself.
My questions too hard TC?
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
(May 1, 2010 at 7:58 pm)Zen Badger Wrote: My questions too hard TC?

actually, i have life-altering exams in 4 days and i cannot spend hours every day answering every question that i get, sorry. I try, but these forums, as interesting as they are, do not take priority over real life.
(May 1, 2010 at 8:16 pm)True Christian Wrote:

actually, i have life-altering exams in 4 days and i cannot spend hours every day answering every question that i get, sorry. I try, but these forums, as interesting as they are, do not take priority over real life.

Indeed.

Especially the ones you don't have answers for.
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
http://www.gnosis.org/thomasbook/ch9.html

Quote:Marcion wished to purge Christianity of its pervasive Jewish influence and took Paul's somewhat ambivalent rejection of "the law" to a logical conclusion. The Jews' sacred books, he taught, were of no concern to Christians. If the Jews wished to worship their ancient tribal god, that was their affair. But the God who smote and slaughtered Israel's enemies, threatened his own worshipers with dire punishment if they were disobedient, prescribed circumcision for males and odd laws for the governance of daily life, and described himself as jealous, could not be the God of Christians. (Harnack himself came to the view that, whatever practical reasons Christians might have had for retaining the Old Testament in the second century, and again at the time of the Protestant Reformation in the sixteenth, by the nineteenth century they ought not to regard it as part of their own holy writ: its continuance in the Christian bible could lead to an emphasis on "righteousness" and rigorous legalism instead of mercy and love.)

According to Irenaeus, Marcion called the Old Testament God "the creator of evils, lustful for war, inconstant in his attitude, and self-contradictory." Irenaeus exaggerated; Marcion apparently accepted that Jews had spiritually benefited as dutiful children of the lesser God, but reproved them for being deaf to the new Christian dispensation.

Marcion taught that the creator-lawgiver archon or demiurge who had created this world was a far lesser power than the true God, the Father of Truth, the ineffable, unknowable Stranger God who had sent Christ as a spiritual messenger to show humankind the path back to its true spiritual home through love. Jesus was a man like any other, who was endowed with the Spirit by the true Father when John baptized him in the River Jordan. Tertullian, the second-century Roman lawyer-theologian from Carthage, wrote that in Marcion's view the real Christ could not have taken on a material body and become a human being in the created world, for such a body would have been "stuffed with excrement."
Quote:I am not here to convert you all, just to remind you that religion is not as harmful as you seem to think

Really?
How about 9/11, Jonestown, Davis Koresh, Timothy Mcvay, The Cathlolic church (Pedophilia, Helping NAZIS escape Germany after WW2). I could go on but it seems to me that religion has done pleanty bad to the world. If it were not for extremists, I would have no problem with religion, I would not be a beliver but would have no problem with it.
I just think it is ridiculous that people have died and are dieing over beings and thoughts that can not be quantified or proven what so ever. Lawmakers are making laws based on fables from a book that has no historical base what so ever.
You're going to fit right in, C/P.
(May 1, 2010 at 8:37 pm)Zen Badger Wrote:
(May 1, 2010 at 8:16 pm)True Christian Wrote:

Indeed.

Especially the ones you don't have answers for.

Thing is, im pretty sure that in your head you have already branded me as someone who ignores difficult questions, making me a hypocrit. It is easier for you to see me that way, because by making me a hypocrit you dont have to think about my answers, since they will all be lies in your eyes. It is EXACTLY what fundamentalist Christians do towards atheists. They see them as sinners, so they dont have to think about what they say, sinners being always wrong.
It is that presumption from both sides, the presumption that no matter what happens, YOU are the righteous one and the other side is always wrong in every possible way, that makes the dialogue between believers and non-believers very hard.

You dont know me, there are a thousand reasons why i wouldnt answer every question i was asked, but you immediately assumed i was avoiding them.
(May 1, 2010 at 9:22 pm)campenney Wrote:
Quote:I am not here to convert you all, just to remind you that religion is not as harmful as you seem to think

Really?
How about 9/11, Jonestown, Davis Koresh, Timothy Mcvay, The Cathlolic church (Pedophilia, Helping NAZIS escape Germany after WW2). I could go on but it seems to me that religion has done pleanty bad to the world. If it were not for extremists, I would have no problem with religion, I would not be a beliver but would have no problem with it.
I just think it is ridiculous that people have died and are dieing over beings and thoughts that can not be quantified or proven what so ever. Lawmakers are making laws based on fables from a book that has no historical base what so ever.

Look at my post, and look at the posts afterwards. I never denied the evil that has come our of religion. However if you looks at the big picture, it really is a small number. 9/11 ? 3000 dead. Jonestown ? a thousand. However, Christianity has, since its creation, helped people, given food to the poor, encouraged charity, protected the helpless. For over a thousand years, Christian monks and priests were the ones who dispensed ALL the education and ALL the medecine in Europe.

The extremists are an incedibly small number of christians, in the order of 0.01%.

Cars, cigarettes, bad food, lack of gun control, all of these things kill in numbers that make the killings of religion laughable, however we are okay with it, because we think it is a small price to pay for all the things we get in return. Same goes for Christianity, i know it has done some wrongs, but to me more good than evil has come out of religion.
(May 2, 2010 at 4:19 am)True Christian Wrote: Thing is, im pretty sure that in your head you have already branded me as someone who ignores difficult questions, making me a hypocrit. It is easier for you to see me that way, because by making me a hypocrit you dont have to think about my answers, since they will all be lies in your eyes. It is EXACTLY what fundamentalist Christians do towards atheists. They see them as sinners, so they dont have to think about what they say, sinners being always wrong.
It is that presumption from both sides, the presumption that no matter what happens, YOU are the righteous one and the other side is always wrong in every possible way, that makes the dialogue between believers and non-believers very hard.

You dont know me, there are a thousand reasons why i wouldnt answer every question i was asked, but you immediately assumed i was avoiding them.

You could've used all those words to actually answer my questions.

And you didn't...........

What other conclusion could I come to?
Quote: small number. 9/11 ? 3000 dead. Jonestown ? a thousand.

I forgot to mention the crusades...theres another 200,000 dead for an GOD that does not exist.
Think about this, we are killing people, making laws, infringing on rights, extorting money from people and much more; all over what really boils down to a child's story that is laced with magic and wizardry. Might as well pray to Harry Potter.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Who is a real Christian? Fake Messiah 40 4242 October 11, 2020 at 12:13 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 89883 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  A Real Christian's(TM) guide to interpreting scripture! Longhorn 18 5130 August 9, 2015 at 3:28 pm
Last Post: Exian
  Yet more christian logic: christian sues for not being given a job she refuses to do. Esquilax 21 7533 July 20, 2014 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: ThomM
  I'll show you a real Christian Foxaèr 66 14461 May 26, 2014 at 1:45 pm
Last Post: Rampant.A.I.
  Morality is external therefore the Christian god is real? Lemonvariable72 9 3956 October 4, 2013 at 11:23 pm
Last Post: Searching4truth
  Relationships - Christian and non-Christian way Ciel_Rouge 6 6366 August 21, 2012 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: frankiej