Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 16, 2024, 11:42 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When, Where, How and Why did you become Atheist?
RE: When, Where, How and Why did you become Atheist?
(October 6, 2015 at 10:34 am)Mister Agenda Wrote: Though reading the Bible twice cover-to-cover cured me of being a Christian, it was exposure to apologetics and logic that tipped me over to atheist about 15 years later. Understanding burden of proof was a big part of that, along with the realization that there is no such thing as good apologetics. I don't know exactly when it happened, one day I realized I had stopped believing in God entirely.
So what was the most outrageous story you read?
For me, after parts of scripture it would be... Little Red Riding hood. Or Hansel and Gretel.
(October 7, 2015 at 1:55 am)bambi_swag Wrote: Speaking of which, what are the reasons why someone who is programmed want someone want to program someone? Everyone has some form of being programmed in something. I guess the human race, (especially us religious kind) are a virus of ideas.

Political Tip:
In my opinion, If atheists truly want to succeed in changing the world away from religion, you guys should start media and educational campaigns to deprogram people through manipulate tactics that religious people use. (E.g. Make a "Critical Thinking Bible" and a kind of a "Church of Rationality" though itself sounds religious but eventually would be successful) Then You would essentially be an anti-virus against us theists.

Gwynnite might grow up into something along those lines, but that's not atheism.
I'm going to be a contrarian (and pedant) and disagree with the general consensus that rocks and babies are atheists. They are non-theists, certainly, but also non-atheists. The term atheist was coined before the word 'theist'. We often assume it comes from 'a-theist', or 'not a theist'. However it was originally constructed as 'athe-ist'. 'Without God' plus the suffix 'ist', which indicates a person concerned with or interested in whatever precedes it.

An atheist is a person capable of considering the proposition that deities exist, who does not accept that proposition.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
I'd say an atheist is a person that doesn't believe. I'm not sure at what age the person has to grow to before they are considered mature enough to be a 'person' able to believe. What age is the age of reason?

So I definitely don't consider rocks atheists. I would stretch the definition to be 'an atheist is a person who does not believe that has also reached the age of reason' so babies wouldn't count either. But I am not sure at what point someone reaches the 'age of reason' so that complicates things.

As far as the 'rocks and babies are non-theists' but not atheists.... I get the point you are trying to make so I do agree with you in a sense.... but - as far as I am concerned the meaning of an atheist and a non-theist is exactly the same... so I'd say rocks and babies aren't non-theists either. If only because neither are capable of being judged on belief or non-belief, since one isn't even a person and the other hasn't reached the age of reason.

For me "rocks and babies are not atheists but they are certainly non-theists" just technically reads exactly the same to me as saying "rocks and babies are not atheists but they are certainly atheists" which of course is contradictory and nonsensical technically.

But the main thing is I DO GET the point you are trying to make Mister Big Grin
Sure, that's why I'm trying to sell my horse shit terms "default" and "cognitive" atheist Big Grin

I agree rocks are not atheists, because "ist" implies a person. But they do present better arguments than some theists Tongue Rock solid ones!
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Yeah, rocks present better arguments... by default but not cognitively Big Grin

And the theists present their arguments cognitively but fallaciously Big Grin
Rock solid man. I can talk to a rock all day and not get a single logical fallacy out of it. It's frustrating, and when I resort to violence it's me that comes home crying.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Yeah rocks........They're so.......... CONSISTENT.
(October 7, 2015 at 1:55 am)bambi_swag Wrote: Political Tip:
In my opinion, If atheists truly want to succeed in changing the world away from religion, you guys should start media and educational campaigns to deprogram people through manipulate tactics that religious people use. (E.g. Make a "Critical Thinking Bible" and a kind of a "Church of Rationality" though itself sounds religious but eventually would be successful) Then You would essentially be an anti-virus against us theists.

That's the thing. You don't have to use manipulative tactics to make an atheist. You just have to teach them critical thinking skills. That's the benefit of having reality on your side.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why did Communists promote Evolution? Nishant Xavier 318 16949 September 7, 2023 at 5:48 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Why did God get such a makeover in the New Testament? Hi600 10 1569 April 1, 2023 at 4:48 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Atheists will worship the Antichrist and become theists during the Tribulation Preacher 53 3417 November 13, 2022 at 3:57 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Atheists: Why did female with fat butts and short legs exist? Lambe7 14 2008 July 30, 2020 at 7:17 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Why did I (an atheist) legally change my name to "God"? GodBennett 33 3373 July 17, 2020 at 5:49 am
Last Post: Porcupine
  Why did I (an atheist) change my name legally to "God"? GodBennett 0 3274 July 4, 2020 at 10:13 am
Last Post: GodBennett
  Why are you an atheist? Ongietan 26 2651 February 20, 2020 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  [Serious] Why are you an Atheist? maxolla 303 26023 February 15, 2020 at 8:57 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  [Not Even A Little Bit Serious] Why AREN'T You An Atheist? BrianSoddingBoru4 28 3505 December 28, 2019 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  What made you become an atheist? Atomic Lava 69 6531 December 12, 2019 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie