Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 10, 2024, 5:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What the bible says Hell is like
RE: What the bible says Hell is like
(October 11, 2015 at 1:22 am)sinnerdaniel94 Wrote:
(October 11, 2015 at 12:41 am)Irrational Wrote: Daniel, Paul may have been more of a faith only guy, but James and John and even Jesus were the opposite. You need to believe and do good works for salvation.

17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?
22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?

Justified by works, not faith alone.

well that's simply not the case. The faith that James 2 and other passages of the like are referring to is not justification before God, but before men. dead faith implies that faith is there. Its like saying my cat is dead, then saying I don't have a cat actually. You saying dead cat means there's a cat that exists that is dead, otherwise it would be a meaningless statement. The same is with faith. Faith can still exist, but it is dead when we don't do works. The bible talks about dead works as well. Works without faith is dead. (Hebrews 6:1)

Galatians 2: 21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law [aka works], then Christ is dead in vain.

This is known as works salvation and it spits in the face of God's gospel. The good news is that no work is needed for our forgiveness (just belief on the Son) Jesus said it is finished. Thank God because if it were up to me to live a good Christian life to be saved I would fail hard. A true Christian is one who is humble and takes no credit for his salvation, rather boasts only in the work of God.

Works salvation is what James advocated. It's in a sense what Jesus in the Gospels advocated as well. Paul is just one man who had his own views about salvation.
(October 11, 2015 at 12:47 am)KevinM1 Wrote: Even if the Christian god were real (it's not, but for the sake of argument), I, for one, really have no desire to have a personal relationship with it. And I think it's hilarious that it's presented as something special or noteworthy since it apparently wants a personal relationship with everyone. Like it's some kind of selling point.

except im not selling anything to you
and that's cool how you feel that way

(October 11, 2015 at 12:46 am)Thena323 Wrote:
(October 11, 2015 at 12:07 am)sinnerdaniel94 Wrote: anyone who doesn't believe in once saved always saved thinks God is a liar.
Says you. 
Who are you to say that your interpretation is the correct one?
More importantly, who cares?

it aint rocket science to interpret the bible. also I care.
(October 11, 2015 at 1:27 am)sinnerdaniel94 Wrote:
(October 11, 2015 at 12:46 am)Thena323 Wrote:

Sure, it ain't rocket science. Especially if your KJV Bible has pictures.

[Image: 719311.jpg]
(October 11, 2015 at 1:22 am)sinnerdaniel94 Wrote: like atheism

Atheism has a title.

What is the title in relation to your belief?
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(October 11, 2015 at 1:27 am)sinnerdaniel94 Wrote:
(October 11, 2015 at 12:47 am)KevinM1 Wrote: Even if the Christian god were real (it's not, but for the sake of argument), I, for one, really have no desire to have a personal relationship with it.  And I think it's hilarious that it's presented as something special or noteworthy since it apparently wants a personal relationship with everyone.  Like it's some kind of selling point.

except im not selling anything to you
and that's cool how you feel that way

(October 11, 2015 at 12:46 am)Thena323 Wrote: Says you. 
Who are you to say that your interpretation is the correct one?
More importantly, who cares?

About your false idol? Yes you do care.  About any aspect of reality, Not so much
"For the only way to eternal glory is a life lived in service of our Lord, FSM; Verily it is FSM who is the perfect being the name higher than all names, king of all kings and will bestow upon us all, one day, The great reclaiming"  -The Prophet Boiardi-

Conservative trigger warning.
[Image: s-l640.jpg]

(October 11, 2015 at 1:45 am)Kitan Wrote:
(October 11, 2015 at 1:22 am)sinnerdaniel94 Wrote: like atheism

Atheism has a title.

title = valid belief
good logic sir
(October 11, 2015 at 1:48 am)sinnerdaniel94 Wrote:
(October 11, 2015 at 1:45 am)Kitan Wrote: Atheism has a title.

title = valid belief
good logic sir

I have the title Mr, Ergo by your logic I believe in Misterism.  At my job my title is Supervisor, ergo by your logic I believe in Supervisorism.  FSM have pity on you.
"For the only way to eternal glory is a life lived in service of our Lord, FSM; Verily it is FSM who is the perfect being the name higher than all names, king of all kings and will bestow upon us all, one day, The great reclaiming"  -The Prophet Boiardi-

Conservative trigger warning.
[Image: s-l640.jpg]

You know what? Hell sounds like a piece of cake.

Bring it on.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(October 11, 2015 at 1:48 am)sinnerdaniel94 Wrote:
(October 11, 2015 at 1:45 am)Kitan Wrote: Atheism has a title.

title = valid belief
good logic sir

Actually no it doesn't your bible and most religions for that matter have no historical or archeological proof for that matter so no it's not a valid belief.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
There is nothing in any standard definition of the word "title" that comes anywhere within a thousand lightyears of "valid belief".
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Two verses on hell from the bible purplepurpose 7 646 June 15, 2023 at 10:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 44253 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Who goes to hell - as far as those pious Bible Christians are concerned? Dundee 71 6768 June 14, 2020 at 12:41 pm
Last Post: Paleophyte
  The Bible Says So YahwehIsTheWay 24 3510 December 7, 2018 at 5:05 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  World ending on April 23rd, says false prophet Divinity 41 8687 April 27, 2018 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Pope says in interview that there is no hell. downbeatplumb 56 9916 April 16, 2018 at 8:53 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Tell All Book Says Pat Robertson Full of Shit Minimalist 12 3562 September 29, 2017 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: Atheist73
  Who Says Godscreated 153 35704 September 15, 2017 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Do I sound like the "devil" to you? My mother thinks I speak like the devil... ReptilianPeon 60 9379 July 6, 2016 at 6:03 pm
Last Post: Nihilist Virus
  Billy Graham's Daughter says transgender people responsible for 9/11 Aroura 23 4945 May 15, 2016 at 7:02 am
Last Post: abaris