Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 29, 2024, 11:49 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scientific knowledge versus spiritual knowledge
RE: Scientific knowledge versus spiritual knowledge
(January 18, 2016 at 2:03 am)Kitan Wrote:
(January 18, 2016 at 2:00 am)ApeNotKillApe Wrote: As a lover of mythology, I resent the comparison.

Be jaded by the truth.

I'm plenty jade-coloured, thank you. Knowledge of mythology is quantifiable, it's a thing, "spiritual knowledge" is not a thing, it's vague bullshit.
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.
(January 18, 2016 at 1:37 am)ChadWooters Wrote:
(January 15, 2016 at 3:52 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: What about non-reality is knowable? And how do you know that?

I feel sorry for anyone who confuses beliefs and knowledge. That way lies illusion and self-deception.

And that is not knowledge, it's belief and emotion.

Are you saying that psychological facts don't count? (Mary's Room, Jackson).

The switches in the brain, those are facts. The thoughts in the brain, those are abstractions.

I trust you know the difference.

(January 18, 2016 at 1:40 am)dyresand Wrote: Spiritual knowledge.. well spiritual being  that it's coming from a emotion so there
is no knowledge there to be learned. I mean what is spiritual knowledge in the first place
knowledge is knowledge.

On the other hand you have a good definition of knowledge being knowledge about the
world around you and the universe we live in I.E. scientific knowledge. That has hypothesis
and it can be studied, tested, verified. Where as the former spiritual knowledge has none.

Like I have said before, we can have "knowledge" of the stories of others and the pretty ideas in them, but that isn't the same as knowing the world in a scientific sense.  You are absolutely right, "spiritual knowledge" is simply mistaking what should be metaphor, and treating it as if it had real super natural powers. 

I find kind ideas in Harry Potter and Charlotte's Web, but what I don't do is turn those works of fiction into a religion. Religion is pretending the kaleidoscope can replace a telescope.
(January 18, 2016 at 3:13 am)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(January 18, 2016 at 1:37 am)ChadWooters Wrote: Are you saying that psychological facts don't count? (Mary's Room, Jackson).

The switches in the brain, those are facts. The thoughts in the brain, those are abstractions.

The thought problem raises the question as to whether there are facts about which someone can have knowledge that cannot be reduced to purely physical processes. Mary learns something. Of what does she learn? How does an independent observer confirm what she has learned?
(January 18, 2016 at 12:12 pm)ChadWooters Wrote:
(January 18, 2016 at 3:13 am)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: The switches in the brain, those are facts. The thoughts in the brain, those are abstractions.

The thought problem raises the question as to whether there are facts about which someone can have knowledge that cannot be reduced to purely physical processes. Mary learns something. Of what does she learn? How does an independent observer confirm what she has learned?

By comparing what she reports to what others report, of course. It's not that difficult. You're overthinking it.

(January 18, 2016 at 3:17 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(January 18, 2016 at 12:12 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: The thought problem raises the question as to whether there are facts about which someone can have knowledge that cannot be reduced to purely physical processes. Mary learns something. Of what does she learn? How does an independent observer confirm what she has learned?

By comparing what she reports to what others report, of course. It's not that difficult. You're overthinking it.

Exactly, which undermines the point of Brian37. Intersubjective results are still subjective experiences for the individuals having them. Radical empiricism of the type Brian37 advocates isn't truly objective in the way that he demands for it to count as knowledge.
(January 18, 2016 at 10:02 pm)ChadWooters Wrote:
(January 18, 2016 at 3:17 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: By comparing what she reports to what others report, of course. It's not that difficult. You're overthinking it.

Exactly, which undermines the point of Brian37. Intersubjective results are still subjective experiences for the individuals having them. Radical empiricism of the type Brian37 advocates isn't truly objective in the way that he demands for it to count as knowledge.

As a group, the subjectivity can be diminished proportional to the size of the reporting group -- especially given the paucity of our knowledge about the workings of the brain.

In short, this is a gaps argument you're mounting. Until more data are collected, dismissing either option -- or another possiblity which may arise as our knowledge expands -- seems premature, to say the least.

The evidence to hand, however, supports the hypothesis that subjective experience comports fairly closely with objective reality, absent mind-altering drugs or other outside influences.

(January 19, 2016 at 3:34 am)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: The evidence to hand, however, supports the hypothesis that subjective experience comports fairly closely with objective reality, absent mind-altering drugs or other outside influences.

Can we really know how close we are to objective reality? What is objective reality anyway? I see a reality beyond and around me, but can I trust that this reality I see closely resembles objective reality whatever it may be. I see objects with clear outlines and varying colors, but is that what objective reality is composed of?
We can only say that there appears to be one, due to our general agreement. Even if there isn't one, whatever we experience resembles one anyway so it doesn't really matter.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(January 19, 2016 at 4:31 am)robvalue Wrote: We can only say that there appears to be one, due to our general agreement. Even if there isn't one, whatever we experience resembles one anyway so it doesn't really matter.

Practically speaking, that's true.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fine Tuning Principle: Devastating Disproof and Scientific Refutation of Atheism. Nishant Xavier 97 7544 September 20, 2023 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Using the word Spiritual Bahana 44 3921 October 4, 2018 at 9:24 pm
Last Post: Lek
  Are there any scientific books or studies that explain what makes a person religious? WisdomOfTheTrees 13 2642 February 9, 2017 at 2:33 am
Last Post: Mirek-Polska
  Is atheism a scientific perspective? AAA 358 62333 January 27, 2017 at 7:49 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Theist ➤ Why ☠ Evolution is not Scientific ✔ The Joker 348 48103 November 26, 2016 at 11:47 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Cartoons: propaganda versus the giant gorilla Deepthunk 4 1884 October 19, 2015 at 2:33 pm
Last Post: Deepthunk
  Jerry Coyne's new book: Faith Versus Fact Mudhammam 17 6024 August 13, 2015 at 12:22 am
Last Post: smsavage32
  Help: jumped on for seeking scientific proof of spiritual healing emilynghiem 55 18063 February 21, 2015 at 2:54 am
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12700 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  A question about the lifespan of scientific theories. Hammod1612 35 7240 January 16, 2015 at 5:15 am
Last Post: Alex K