Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 13, 2024, 1:28 am

Poll: Do think that the death penalty is ever appropriate?
This poll is closed.
No, never.
58.33%
28 58.33%
In very limited circumstances, such as multiple murders.
29.17%
14 29.17%
For murder alone with aggravating circumstances.
2.08%
1 2.08%
Any violent crime should be punished by death.
6.25%
3 6.25%
Yes, as a common punishment for any serious crime.
4.17%
2 4.17%
Total 48 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism & the Death Penalty.
(January 20, 2016 at 2:36 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote:
(January 20, 2016 at 1:54 pm)robvalue Wrote: You could as a *cough* "compromise" only execute where there is absolutely no doubt, and the evidence is too overwhelming for there to possibly have been a mistake. (Or at least, an incredibly small chance.) If I was going to bring it in, I'd do it just for murder, and just in that case. But I'm not saying I would.

And how would you determine if the evidence in any particular case is "overwhelming"? Families would push for this standard in cases that don't meet it. Perpetrators would push back. All this would do is add another layer of appeals to an already lengthy and expensive process.

How about requiring DNA evidence in the form of bodily fluids, since that is what gets people unquestionably off the hook in most cases. Would it be possible to differentiate in older cases?
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
RE: Atheism & the Death Penalty.
Always been against it, always will be, without exception.

The only situation I condone killing of any kind is in extreme cases of self defense.
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
(January 21, 2016 at 1:09 am)SnakeOilWarrior Wrote: Prison overpopulation can be handled far easier by reducing sentencing for/not incarcerating non-violent offenders, releasing three strike inmates who are in for three drug possession felonies and other non-violent inmates, etc...

...and can be handled more effectively, in the long term, by better addressing the social issues that lead to greater propensity to commit crimes: poverty, housing, education, civil rights, health, investment...

To the OP, I'm opposed to the death penalty in all forms for pretty much the same reasons that Simon Moon stated. Additionally, I'm an opponent of coercive ethics; I believe that prison should exist with the main purpose of rehabilitation and that people should be incarcerated until they're rehabilitated, irrespective of the offence. I'll say, in concert, that there are many offenses that shouldn't be and that many of the social fixes need putting in place before invitational ethics can really be applied to prison systems.
Sum ergo sum
(January 21, 2016 at 9:52 am)LadyForCamus Wrote:
(January 20, 2016 at 2:36 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: And how would you determine if the evidence in any particular case is "overwhelming"?  Families would push for this standard in cases that don't meet it.  Perpetrators would push back.  All this would do is add another layer of appeals to an already lengthy and expensive process.

How about requiring DNA evidence in the form of bodily fluids, since that is what gets people unquestionably off the hook in most cases.  Would it be possible to differentiate in older cases?

The only thing which DNA proves is that the accused's DNA was present at the scene. Frame-up artists are good at making use of your DNA, and your fingerprints on discarded artifacts from outside the scene or prior to the crime. If you own a weapon (it could be kitchen knife), this doesn't make you a murderer, but somebody may steal this with your prints on it.

Those of us who were not involved at the time do not, and cannot know enough to sort out the above from what actually happened, therefore we should not participate in any decision which is as certain and final as a death sentence. Frame-ups actually happen, and much too often.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrongful_execution
Mr. Hanky loves you!
(January 21, 2016 at 12:04 am)God of Mr. Hanky Wrote:
(January 20, 2016 at 11:08 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: Haha, no person of faith here!  IMO, providing a murderer with an opportunity to express -anything- is more of an opportunity than he afforded his victims.  Maybe prison is punishment; or maybe it's a place to get a college education.  To me, the ultimate price to pay for sadistically taking life is to forfeit one's own life.  People like that have no business maintaining a pulse.

Funny how people who don't believe in a god talk as if they had god-like ability to decide who is innocent and who is guilty. While I'm willing to bet all that there is no god, there's a much better chance than this that the next person to be executed in America will be innocent of the crime he or she was convicted of. In fact, there is quite a rich history of people whose convictions were overturned posthumously. Too many for my stomach, which is why I won't get behind any legislation which doesn't prohibit this.

http://www.nytimes.com/1985/11/14/us/25-...finds.html

Hey, that's why I said it was my personal, emotional feeling on the subject, not my well reasoned argument for it with consideration for all the available evidence. [emoji849] Innocent people being executed is obviously a problem. I'm saying I am not morally opposed to serial killers being put to death, and in fact I believe they deserve it.

The article you linked to was from 1985. Have we made any progress toward decreasing the number of innocent people sentenced since then?
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

(January 21, 2016 at 10:22 am)LadyForCamus Wrote:
(January 21, 2016 at 12:04 am)God of Mr. Hanky Wrote: Funny how people who don't believe in a god talk as if they had god-like ability to decide who is innocent and who is guilty. While I'm willing to bet all that there is no god, there's a much better chance than this that the next person to be executed in America will be innocent of the crime he or she was convicted of. In fact, there is quite a rich history of people whose convictions were overturned posthumously. Too many for my stomach, which is why I won't get behind any legislation which doesn't prohibit this.

Hey, that's why I said it was my personal, emotional feeling on the subject, not my well reasoned argument for it in consideration of all the available evidence. [emoji849] Innocent people being executed is obviously a problem. I'm saying I am not morally opposed to serial killers being put to death, and in fact I believe they deserve it.

The article you linked to was from 1985. Have we made any progress toward decreasing the number of innocent people sentenced since then?

Double post, sorry.

(January 21, 2016 at 9:43 am)God of Mr. Hanky Wrote:
(January 21, 2016 at 1:13 am)RaphielDrake Wrote: True. Less chance of happening though.

When that's the answer every time the right solution to any problem is suggested, then what are the chances of the right actions ever being done?

About the same. 0.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
(January 21, 2016 at 10:22 am)LadyForCamus Wrote:
(January 21, 2016 at 12:04 am)God of Mr. Hanky Wrote: Funny how people who don't believe in a god talk as if they had god-like ability to decide who is innocent and who is guilty. While I'm willing to bet all that there is no god, there's a much better chance than this that the next person to be executed in America will be innocent of the crime he or she was convicted of. In fact, there is quite a rich history of people whose convictions were overturned posthumously. Too many for my stomach, which is why I won't get behind any legislation which doesn't prohibit this.

Hey, that's why I said it was my personal, emotional feeling on the subject, not my well reasoned argument for it with consideration for all the available evidence. [emoji849] Innocent people being executed is obviously a problem.  I'm saying I am not morally opposed to serial killers being put to death, and in fact I believe they deserve it.  

The article you linked to was from 1985.  Have we made any progress toward decreasing the number of innocent people sentenced since then?

1985 was before Texas and a few other states became infamous for rushing the death penalty, therefore I believe the antiquity of the article and the relative short span from the 1973 SCOTUS decision which allowed this says plenty without any follow-up. Nevertheless, my more recent post links to a comprehensive, and probably more up-to-date Wiki article, lots of data there.
Mr. Hanky loves you!
I'd rather die than have a life sentence with no chance of parole,
unless I knew I was innocent and there was a chance new evidence might come to light to exonerate me,
but by the time science advances enough to show new evidence,
a decade or more may pass.

Also, I think there are instances where violent crimes do not deserve the death penalty as much as some non-violent crimes.

For instance, a doctor who calculatedly betrays trust and knowingly causes disease or irreparable disability
or great suffering, to many people, for the sake of personal gain, to me,

deserves death,

...more than a man who pulls a gun and kills his daughter's rapist, in a rage...you see?

I've also heard of cases where deeply disturbed, extremely violent pedos, rapists, and murderers
have asked for death, and warned authorities to never set them free.

If a person is deranged, and has no control over their violent impulses, and the inside of their head is a living hell,
and keeping them alive in prison is doing nothing other than prolonging their suffering
and costing the public tax dollars....you may as well at least give them the option of assisted suicide.

I think that's less barbaric than letting them suffer.

But I'm painting in broad strokes;
the possible variables from case to case are endless.

There will always be the risk of innocents dying,
and there's just no way that will ever be acceptable;

but I think that the cold hard reality is that if most of us saw what life is really like in some of those places,
and we saw how much worse prison is made, for the non-violent criminals,
by keeping some of the monsters alive,
it would be a wake-up call.

I don't know...something tells me that it's easy to sit comfortably in our homes
discussing lofty ideals about the sanctity of human life,

but when contrasted against the reality of life in those places,
it might seem like a really bad joke.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27354 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Atheist and the Death penalty strawdawg 125 29360 September 8, 2015 at 11:00 am
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12579 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  13 Countries Where Atheism Is Punishable by Death Zidneya 63 14332 September 23, 2014 at 8:11 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12181 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10536 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  Atheists, the death penalty and abortion... ideologue08 511 188622 May 30, 2013 at 8:17 pm
Last Post: Colanth
  Death and atheism - something I've struggled with DrFreud 16 4081 March 7, 2013 at 12:59 am
Last Post: Creed of Heresy
  A different definition of atheism. Atheism isn't simply lack of belief in god/s fr0d0 14 12062 August 1, 2012 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Near-Death Experiences (NDEs), Souls, and Atheism Willpower 72 22965 November 23, 2011 at 11:28 am
Last Post: Epimethean