Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 14, 2024, 1:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.2 Average
The Official "Damned Trump" Thread
RE: The Official "Damned Trump" Thread
Quote:Second off - Greenland is not a sovereign nation. It' s owned by Denmark.

That's kind of a grey area.  Yes, it is owned by Denmark (you'd couldn't buy Greenland from Greenland) and the head of state is the Danish queen (her name escapes me at the moment).

But Greenland is an autonomous region within Denmark - they have their own government and make their own laws.  I'm not a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure than Denmark couldn't simply sell off Greenland even if they wanted to, without Greenland 's agreement.  And even if Greenland agree, the legal side of the sale would take years, maybe decades, to sort out.

So, on balance, Trump's desire to buy Greenland is a pretty stupid idea.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(August 22, 2019 at 8:31 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
Quote:Second off - Greenland is not a sovereign nation. It' s owned by Denmark.

That's kind of a grey area.  Yes, it is owned by Denmark (you'd couldn't buy Greenland from Greenland) and the head of state is the Danish queen (her name escapes me at the moment).

But Greenland is an autonomous region within Denmark - they have their own government and make their own laws.  I'm not a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure than Denmark couldn't simply sell off Greenland even if they wanted to, without Greenland 's agreement.  And even if Greenland agree, the legal side of the sale would take years, maybe decades, to sort out.

So, on balance, Trump's desire to buy Greenland is a pretty stupid idea.

Boru
It might have some legal tangles to it - but I'm sure it could be done. For the right price.
There are great reasons to do this - and Trump isn' t the first to go for it.
Besides the natural resources - the strategic value is quite high. The proximity to western Russia and its cold weather ocean access make it high value.
I doubt seriously it happening - but the worst that such an offer can get is a " no".
Heart 
(August 22, 2019 at 8:20 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(August 22, 2019 at 7:49 am)Amarok Wrote:  No it is a stupid idea we don't buy soverign states anymore

I could be wrong, but I don't think you've EVER bought a sovereign state, have you?  Louisiana wasn't, Alaska wasn't, the Virgin Islands weren't.

Am I missing any?

Boru
I said anyomore
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

And don' t you feel silly about it?
Quote:First off - there's no "we" here. You do whatever the fuck you want over there on your side of the border.

You don't make the rules.

Second off - Greenland is not a sovereign nation. It' s owned by Denmark.

You got anything factual, genius?
1. By we i mean the modern western world 

2.I never said they couldn't i said it simply isn't done anymore and for good reason 

3.It's an autonomous state 

4. You are a tool

Quote:And don' t you feel silly about it?
No
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

That's because you're a schmuck.

The US has NEVER purchased a soveriegn state.

Territories owned by soveriegn nations - sure.

But that' s not what you said.
(August 22, 2019 at 8:42 am)Amarok Wrote:
(August 22, 2019 at 8:20 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I could be wrong, but I don't think you've EVER bought a sovereign state, have you?  Louisiana wasn't, Alaska wasn't, the Virgin Islands weren't.

Am I missing any?

Boru
I said anyomore

I know, but saying you don't do it anymore implies that you once did.  I was just wondering when you'd bought a sovereign state.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(August 22, 2019 at 9:21 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(August 22, 2019 at 8:42 am)Amarok Wrote: I said anyomore

I know, but saying you don't do it anymore implies that you once did.  I was just wondering when you'd bought a sovereign state.

Boru
Yup i messed up my original post and clearly misunderstood yours and responded poorly . Sorry about that Boru. So let's try this over again.

Modern nations particularly the United states don't buy territories like that anymore, And considering the people of Greenland have shown no interest in being controlled by the US it makes it more abhorrent .

I think that's better

Inuit Proverb

(August 22, 2019 at 3:56 pm)Amarok Wrote:
(August 22, 2019 at 9:21 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I know, but saying you don't do it anymore implies that you once did.  I was just wondering when you'd bought a sovereign state.

Boru
Yup i messed up my original post and clearly misunderstood yours and responded poorly . Sorry about that Boru. So let's try this over again.

Modern nations particularly the United states don't buy territories like that anymore, And considering the people of Greenland have shown no interest in being controlled by the US it makes it more abhorrent .

I think that's better

You don't know squat about making deals.

I'm betting the residents there would jump at the chance to become the 51st state - with an oil revenue check for residents like Alaska..

And it' s not that we don't buy - it's the fact that the store shelves as it were - are rather bare.

Buy real estate - they aren' t making it anymore. - Mark Twain
(August 22, 2019 at 5:19 pm)onlinebiker Wrote:
(August 22, 2019 at 3:56 pm)Amarok Wrote: Yup i messed up my original post and clearly misunderstood yours and responded poorly . Sorry about that Boru. So let's try this over again.

I think that's better

You don't know squat about making deals.

I'm betting the residents there would jump at the chance to become the 51st state - with an oil revenue check for residents like Alaska..

And it' s not that we don't buy - it's the fact that the store shelves as it were - are rather bare.

Buy real estate - they aren' t making it anymore. - Mark Twain

Isn’t the honour of becoming the 51st state supposed to be for Costa Rica?
Dying to live, living to die.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Official Gosh Darned Biden Thread BrianSoddingBoru4 464 29173 November 15, 2022 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  The Official 'Damned Cruz' Thread BrianSoddingBoru4 103 4881 April 9, 2021 at 4:32 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Are more Trump signs indicative of Trump winning? Dingo 15 1094 October 1, 2020 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Damned if you do, damned if you don't. onlinebiker 37 2638 August 7, 2019 at 5:25 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Damned Racists, Vol II Minimalist 323 27827 August 3, 2019 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Damned Republicunts Minimalist 1793 284929 March 27, 2019 at 11:28 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Trump VS Trump (not exactly political news but I have no idea where to post this) Cepheus Ace 0 37005 February 12, 2019 at 2:15 am
Last Post: Cepheus Ace
  Damned Texans Minimalist 201 30572 March 31, 2017 at 12:29 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  I'm awfully confused: how do Trump supporters relate to Trump NuclearEnergy 11 3188 March 7, 2017 at 4:24 pm
Last Post: brewer
  It's official, the election was stolen GUBU 77 9750 December 11, 2016 at 11:30 am
Last Post: vorlon13