Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 20, 2024, 8:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 1.8 Average
DNA Proves Existence of a Designer
RE: DNA Disproves Existence of a Designer
The Do You Live In An Intelligently Designed Universe Quiz

1) Why do things fall to the ground?
 - A: Gravity
 - B: Divine Will

2) Why does the sun shine?
 - A: Nuclear fusion and black body radiation

3) What makes your laptop work?
 - A: Complicated electrical egineering, semiconductors, fiber optics, and a bunch of other stuff that I understand only poorly.

4) What makes lightning?
 - A: Electrostatic discharge during violent storms

5) What directs the behaviour of your cells?
 - A: DNA

6) Why do fewer socks come out of the drier than went in?
 - A: Drier Tax/Laundry gnomes/Pants eat them

If you answered B to all of the above then you most likely exist in a Created World. You exist at the whim of a capricious Creator and could be snuffed out at any instant. Even a pebble rolling down a riverbed has more free will than you. My condolences.

If you answered A to all of the above then you most likely exist in a universe that evolved from natural laws. Competent Deities don't need to muck about with natural laws because they have Divine Will. The existence of natural laws in your world militates against the existence of a Creator.

Gods don't need to muck about with DNA, they just tell your cells what to do. Assuming you even have cells. DNA demonstrate that you are evolved biochemistry with delusions of sentience.
RE: DNA Proves Existence of a Designer
(November 17, 2018 at 10:00 am)Gae Bolga Wrote:
(November 17, 2018 at 4:32 am)CDF47 Wrote: Its based on faith but not blind faith.  After realizing the universe and living systems are designed, it is time to jump to theology for answers.

A leap of faith is a leap of faith.

It doesn't follow, though.  Even if we find ourselves wondering about some design, or a natural teleology, that doesn't add a divine entity to the universe.  We've been designed by our environment, not formless wisps out there in the ether, lol.

You changed your name to an Irish mythical sword.  Why's that?
The LORD Exists: http://www.godandscience.org/
Intelligent Design (Short Video): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVkdQhNdzHU
Intelligent Design (Longer Video): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzj8iXiVDT8
(November 17, 2018 at 1:10 pm)CDF47 Wrote:
(November 17, 2018 at 4:58 am)downbeatplumb Wrote: Yes it does.

But of gods it has found no trace.

It found His signature in the information of DNA.

[Image: 146da7e6faa245bd90f78dbcbc1b5d3a]
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(November 17, 2018 at 12:56 pm)Everena Wrote:
(November 17, 2018 at 12:35 pm)Paleophyte Wrote: Concurrent trials happen without a Creator all the time. You just need a big ocean full of chemicals.

You have no idea what the numbers actually are, so they don't prove anything. Your first failure is assuming that life started with DNA, so you're citing the wrong numbers from the word go.

Everena: Chemicals that came to be how exactly? And why are the chemicals capable of doing such amazing things?

(1) Stellar nucleosynthesis, an activity that no respectable deity engages in. Seriously, it's like warming a baby bottle in a nuclear reactor.

(2) What amazing things? The vast majority don't even interact with you. Of the rest, the majority try to kill you in some pretty horrifying ways. Kindly clarify.
(November 17, 2018 at 1:00 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote:
(November 17, 2018 at 12:49 pm)Everena Wrote: You mean I am not impressive in the atheist dimension? Oh darn.

We are as concerned to hear it as we would be if we were told a lobotomized chimp is unimpressed with our calculus.

(November 17, 2018 at 12:56 pm)Everena Wrote: Yes, because that particular version of God makes sense to them. And that is fine. Some people only feel comfortable with a humanlike figure as their God. And the religion they choose is probably the one most likely to help them along in their journey through life. Remember this: Christians, Judaists, Jainists, Muslims, Hindus, Scientologists and most New Agers (the vast majority of believers in the world) all believe in a creator God, a soul that exists separtely from the body, and afterlife in a heavenly type place, and reward/redemption. We are all alot more alike than you think.

Everena: Chemicals that came to be how exactly? And why are the chemicals capable of doing such amazing things?

You know, a real education cost money.  Are you paying tuition here?
And by that you mean that you have no clue how the chemicals came to be or why they are capable of doing such amazing things. And I already have an education. Do you?

(November 17, 2018 at 1:08 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote:
(November 17, 2018 at 12:56 pm)Everena Wrote: Yes, because that particular version of God makes sense to them. And that is fine. Some people only feel comfortable with a humanlike figure as their God. And the religion they choose is probably the one most likely to help them along in their journey through life. Remember this: Christians, Judaists, Jainists, Muslims, Hindus, Scientologists and most New Agers (the vast majority of believers in the world) all believe in a creator God, a soul that exists separtely from the body, and afterlife in a heavenly type place, and reward/redemption. We are all alot more alike than you think.

That doesn't resolve the problem.  Once you have asserted the claim you are thereby implying that all descriptions of God are to some extent not a reflection of God's true nature, but rather a reflection of the needs of the individual believer.  The task then becomes one of determining how we sort out which of a believer's beliefs about God are in error in that they substitute the needs of the believer in place of the properties of the thing in itself, i.e. God.  Given the assumption, that becomes an intractable problem, the only reliable answer to which is that we can't rely upon anyone's beliefs about God, and, God is therefore unknowable and theists, in as much as they claim to know specific things about God, are wrong.  In other words, you've pissed in the pool, and your efforts to remove the impurity are unsuccessful (so far).

(God help me if anything along the lines of "all stories are true" makes an appearance in this discussion, but it seems inevitable.)
Everena: Easy, they are all in error because they are all man made
(November 17, 2018 at 1:19 pm)Paleophyte Wrote:
(November 17, 2018 at 12:56 pm)Everena Wrote: Everena: Chemicals that came to be how exactly? And why are the chemicals capable of doing such amazing things?

(1) Stellar nucleosynthesis, an activity that no respectable deity engages in. Seriously, it's like warming a baby bottle in a nuclear reactor.

(2) What amazing things? The vast majority don't even interact with you. Of the rest, the majority try to kill you in some pretty horrifying ways. Kindly clarify.

Correction, most type of atomic nuclei come from stellar nucleosynthesis. Chemicals come from the fact that most of the universe is so freaking cold that elections can stick to the nuclei to form atoms and atoms can stick together to for molecules.

Amazing is only meaningful if the criteria for it is not defined ex post to suit what is already seen to be there.
(November 17, 2018 at 1:14 pm)CDF47 Wrote:
(November 17, 2018 at 10:00 am)Gae Bolga Wrote: A leap of faith is a leap of faith.

It doesn't follow, though.  Even if we find ourselves wondering about some design, or a natural teleology, that doesn't add a divine entity to the universe.  We've been designed by our environment, not formless wisps out there in the ether, lol.

You changed your name to an Irish mythical sword.  Why's that?
Rolls right off the tongue and fits with my fetish for poking things with sticks.  Not that this had anything to do with the quoted comments.  Any thoughts there?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 17, 2018 at 1:19 pm)Paleophyte Wrote:
(November 17, 2018 at 12:56 pm)Everena Wrote: Everena: Chemicals that came to be how exactly? And why are the chemicals capable of doing such amazing things?

1. That does not explain how they came to be without an intelligent agent. You are claiming this was a lucky accident caused by nothing. And you expect ppl to believe that?
2. What amazing things??? Are you kidding??This entire planet with food and other pleasures and  all conscious intelligent life with an enormous amount of abilities that I guess you just take for granted, but that could not have just magically happened from nothing for no reason no matter how many times you pretend it all could. Use your brain.
(November 17, 2018 at 1:31 pm)Everena Wrote:
(November 17, 2018 at 1:19 pm)Paleophyte Wrote: (1) Stellar nucleosynthesis, an activity that no respectable deity engages in. Seriously, it's like warming a baby bottle in a nuclear reactor.

1. That does not explain how they came to be without an intelligent agent. You are claiming this was a lucky accident caused by nothing. And you expect ppl to believe that?
Still straw, get your shit together.

Quote:2. What amazing things??? Are you kidding??This entire planet with food and other pleasures and  all conscious intelligent life with an enormous amount of abilities that I guess you just take for granted, but that could not have just magically happened from nothing for no reason no matter how many times you pretend it all could. Use your brain.
"I don't know things, therefore meat fairies!"
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 17, 2018 at 12:08 pm)Paleophyte Wrote:
(November 17, 2018 at 12:22 am)CDF47 Wrote: 85 percent of DNA serves a function as non-coding DNA.

[Image: Webcomic_xkcd_-_Wikipedian_protester.png]

The majority of non-coding DNA doesn't appear to be conserved, so it's hard to imagine it serving any function beyond randomly evolving in the background.

Even if you're right, it doesn't help your case any. The genome is still a nightmare to read and no intelligent designer would have built it in such a slip-shod fashion.

Where do you get your information that DNA is "slip-shod?"
The LORD Exists: http://www.godandscience.org/
Intelligent Design (Short Video): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVkdQhNdzHU
Intelligent Design (Longer Video): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzj8iXiVDT8

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spontaneous assembly of DNA from precursor molecules prior to life. Anomalocaris 4 1002 April 4, 2019 at 6:12 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Music and DNA tahaadi 4 1352 September 29, 2018 at 4:35 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Dr. Long proves life after death or no? Manga 27 7505 April 27, 2017 at 4:59 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  "DNA Labelling!" aka American Idiots Davka 28 7462 February 4, 2015 at 1:45 am
Last Post: Aractus
  A new atheist's theories on meta-like physical existence freedeepthink 14 3887 October 1, 2014 at 1:35 am
Last Post: freedeepthink
  Do the multiverse theories prove the existence of... Mudhammam 3 2201 January 12, 2014 at 12:03 pm
Last Post: Esquilax
  Yeti DNA sequenced Doubting Thomas 2 1472 October 17, 2013 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Science Proves God Pahu 3 1996 August 2, 2012 at 4:54 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  New Human DNA Strain Detected Minimalist 10 5054 July 27, 2012 at 7:24 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Junk DNA and creationism little_monkey 0 2000 December 3, 2011 at 9:23 am
Last Post: little_monkey