Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 19, 2024, 8:26 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is there free will in heaven?
RE: Is there free will in heaven?
IATTIA,

Logically you have reaced a false conclusion. Here you define sin "A 'sin' is a transgression of your god's law."
then you change teh definition of sin using an Equivocation Fallacy to a sin against your god. The atheists don't believe in a god and if they did most wouldn't believe in the Abrahamic god. If sin is a transgression against the abrahamic God of Christianity then you would indeed be sinning regardless of whether you believed he existed or not. Big Grin

As far as kicking back, I'd be more than happy to kick back on enjoy life with you, I do it every day.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
Tack, i really like your first sig quote.
(November 2, 2011 at 7:05 am)5thHorseman Wrote: Tack, i really like your first sig quote.

dido
(November 2, 2011 at 9:10 pm)reverendjeremiah Wrote:
(November 2, 2011 at 7:05 am)5thHorseman Wrote: Tack, i really like your first sig quote.

dido

The singer or the Phoenician queen? I like both.
Trying to update my sig ...
(November 2, 2011 at 6:48 am)tackattack Wrote: Logically you have reaced a false conclusion. Here you define sin "A 'sin' is a transgression of your god's law."
then you change teh definition of sin using an Equivocation Fallacy to a sin against your god. The atheists don't believe in a god and if they did most wouldn't believe in the Abrahamic god. If sin is a transgression against the abrahamic God of Christianity then you would indeed be sinning regardless of whether you believed he existed or not. Big Grin

NOT. Breaking man's law is not a sin. Breaking god's law is a sin. Therefore a sin can only be committed if there is a god. There is no god. Therefore I cannot sin.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
I like my quotes too; I haven't changed them since I put them on for a reason, they still hold true. Thanks for the compliements (I know how rare they are from the minmaster)... on to the topic.

(November 2, 2011 at 11:28 pm)IATIA Wrote:

You're missing the point that you changed the definition of the word sin making your premise illogcial. Irregardless of mine or your belief system, a logical fallacy is a logical fallacy.
If you had defined sin as transgression against a god then you would be correct. You however defined it the Christian God. Pedantically on a second point, at the very least the abstract mental constuct of your use of the general god exists for both of us. Therefore once again you are wrong in stating that there is no god.
You're missing the point that you defined sin as trangression against my god, not yours (or your lack of one) and then made a false assertion. Whether or not you believe my God exists or not, is irrelevant as it is my God, and you set the parameters for your arguement.

0 for 2 one more without even admitting your illogical premises and I'll just add you to the ignore pile of intellectually dishonest anti-thesits.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

(November 3, 2011 at 7:12 am)tackattack Wrote: You're missing the point that you changed the definition of the word sin making your premise illogcial. Irregardless of mine or your belief system, a logical fallacy is a logical fallacy.

You are arguing semantics rather than the point.

You can call it disobeying, transgressions, violating, whatever. Sin still remains an act against a god and only if that god exists.

I changed no definition. It is obvious that you have not a command of the English language. "Irregardless" is not a word.

You are on an atheist site attempting to differentiate between gods. We make no differentiation. They are all imaginative fantasies.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

-- The Rev Lovejoy
I was pointing out a logical fallacy and I clearly defined where, you can deny it all you like. Since you want to discuss the point,
If I had a fluffy pink unicorn at my house that I put a quarter in and rode to make me happy, and you sent a missle to destroy it, because you didn't like fluffy pink things. Does it matter whether you believed I actually had one or not? No, it only matters if it actually exists or not. It only has an affect on my reality because I know that it's there, I am uninterested in your reality since you are the transgressor. Since I believe my God exists, I support it with subjective evidence; for me my God exists. You can therefore sin against my God from my perspective, regardless of what effect you think it has on your reality.

And I have no problem with your pink fluffy unicorn as long as it does not shit in my yard. Ultimately, that is the problem with most theists. They want to take their pink fluffy unicorn out for a walk and let it shit in other peoples yard. Now the missile comes out.

(This is not a personal attack directed at you. You seem to be OK, except for your imaginary friend.)
-- Homer Simpson

-- Ned Flanders

-- The Rev Lovejoy
(November 4, 2011 at 8:01 am)IATIA Wrote: You seem to be OK, except for your imaginary friend.)
As is so often the case.

I just imagined a thing called "siddlehan" that you can "vesit" against Tack. Clearly you are a "vesiter".

(insert argument for your god and sin in support of the concepts above)

I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there free will in Heaven? zwanzig 54 4641 April 12, 2021 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Eternity in Heaven - Scary? JairCrawford 47 5867 July 26, 2018 at 2:43 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Pope Francis -- dogs go to Heaven! Jehanne 34 5722 October 19, 2017 at 3:46 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  There is a difference between salvation, and the rewards of Heaven Drich 45 13960 July 31, 2017 at 9:27 am
Last Post: Drich
  Why do Christians want to go to Heaven? Fake Messiah 52 19419 June 28, 2017 at 9:29 am
Last Post: Astonished
  "heaven" meme on facebook drfuzzy 34 8052 May 2, 2016 at 4:44 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Are there animals in heaven? Mermaid 53 8734 November 7, 2015 at 3:25 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  My thoughts on heaven dyresand 24 7366 November 3, 2015 at 5:57 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Bible way to Heaven sinnerdaniel94 362 54452 October 14, 2015 at 3:41 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Heaven is full of tapeworms Brakeman 15 4577 August 13, 2015 at 10:23 am
Last Post: orangebox21