Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 11, 2024, 11:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The moral argument, for atheism!
RE: The moral argument, for atheism!
(June 29, 2018 at 7:00 pm)Kit Wrote:
(June 29, 2018 at 6:58 pm)Mr.wizard Wrote: If that god is the source of objective morality and they must be good, then what ever moral decision they chose must be good. That is the way the argument is set up.

Incorrect.  Your reading comprehension skills are for shit.

How, show me in premise #1 where it does not say that god is the source of morality and must be good?
(June 29, 2018 at 7:02 pm)Mr.wizard Wrote: How, show me in premise #1 where it does not say that god is the source of morality and must be good?

How is that related to your objection?

Premise one: God is morally good.
Premise two: A moral god must share with his creation in such a provable way the morality they are to abide by.
Conclusion: Such a revelation as in premise two has never happened; thus god is not real.

It's not rocket science.
(June 29, 2018 at 7:07 pm)Kit Wrote:
(June 29, 2018 at 7:02 pm)Mr.wizard Wrote: How, show me in premise #1 where it does not say that god is the source of morality and must be good?

How is that related to your objection?

Premise one: God is morally good.
Premise two: A moral god must share with his creation in such a provable way the morality they are to abide by.
Conclusion: Such a revelation as in premise two has never happened; thus god is not real.

It's not rocket science.

Because god is established as the source of morality and must be good. So any moral decision god makes must be good. So then how in premise 2 can you say god must share with his creation to be morally good? See you changed the wording in premise #1 by leaving out the part about god being the source of morality and changed to God is morally good. It's a totally different ballgame if God is following a set of moral laws rather than creating them.
(June 29, 2018 at 7:19 pm)Mr.wizard Wrote: So then how in premise 2 can you say god must share with his creation to be morally good?

What good parent doesn't?
(June 29, 2018 at 6:54 pm)Kit Wrote:
(June 29, 2018 at 6:52 pm)Mr.wizard Wrote:  Premise 2 is in conflict with premise 1, therefore the conclusion couldn't possibly tie it together.

Explain to me how a moral super being has no obligation to reveal morality in such a way to his creations that leaves no room for denial?

Not sure I see what Mr. Wizard is saying about premise 2 conflicting with 1.

However, if morality were not deterministically discoverable such that true from false morals could be determined, that fact alone would lead to more immorality rather than less simply through sheer accident of good people mistaking false morality for true. I doubt that's compatible with traditional attributes of God.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(June 29, 2018 at 7:24 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote:
(June 29, 2018 at 6:54 pm)Kit Wrote: Explain to me how a moral super being has no obligation to reveal morality in such a way to his creations that leaves no room for denial?

Not sure I see what Mr. Wizard is saying about premise 2 conflicting with 1.

However, if morality were not deterministically discoverable such that true from false morals could be determined, that fact alone would lead to more immorality rather than less simply through sheer accident of good people mistaking false morality for true.  I doubt that's compatible with traditional attributes of God.

I don't see how a God can be set up as the source of morality that must be good and then have moral obligations. If god was the source of morality and god said that not revealing objective morals is in fact moral, how could you argue with that? Not only have you already established that the god must be morally good but you wouldn't have your own morality to judge that god because it is already established that the god himself is the source of morality.
(June 29, 2018 at 7:33 pm)Mr.wizard Wrote:
(June 29, 2018 at 7:24 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: Not sure I see what Mr. Wizard is saying about premise 2 conflicting with 1.

However, if morality were not deterministically discoverable such that true from false morals could be determined, that fact alone would lead to more immorality rather than less simply through sheer accident of good people mistaking false morality for true.  I doubt that's compatible with traditional attributes of God.

I don't see how a God can be set up as the source of morality that must be good and then have moral obligations. If god was the source of morality and god said that not revealing objective morals is in fact moral, how could you argue with that? Not only have you already established that the god must be morally good but you wouldn't have your own morality to judge that god because it is already established that the god himself is the source of morality.

If God said that 2 + 2 = 5, you would believe him?  I would say, "Surely, God, you must be joking!"
(June 29, 2018 at 7:51 pm)Jehanne Wrote:
(June 29, 2018 at 7:33 pm)Mr.wizard Wrote: I don't see how a God can be set up as the source of morality that must be good and then have moral obligations. If god was the source of morality and god said that not revealing objective morals is in fact moral, how could you argue with that? Not only have you already established that the god must be morally good but you wouldn't have your own morality to judge that god because it is already established that the god himself is the source of morality.

If God said that 2 + 2 = 5, you would believe him?  I would say, "Surely, God, you must be joking!"

If your premise established that god was the source of math and his answers must be right, how would I know the difference?
You keep digging that hole, Jehanne. I can't keep bailing you out.
(June 29, 2018 at 7:33 pm)Mr.wizard Wrote:
(June 29, 2018 at 7:24 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: Not sure I see what Mr. Wizard is saying about premise 2 conflicting with 1.

I believe her point was that the assumption that God is all good and the author of morals was at odds with the observation that he doesn't inform us unambiguously of the content of those morals. That's a standard reductio ad absurdum argument, which, if sound, provides reasonable grounds for rejecting the initial assumption. You seem to not understand how arguments work.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Maximizing Moral Virtue h311inac311 191 13608 December 17, 2022 at 10:36 pm
Last Post: Objectivist
  As a nonreligious person, where do you get your moral guidance? Gentle_Idiot 79 6896 November 26, 2022 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Moral justification for the execution of criminals of war? Macoleco 184 6929 August 19, 2022 at 7:03 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  On theism, why do humans have moral duties even if there are objective moral values? Pnerd 37 3270 May 24, 2022 at 11:49 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Can we trust our Moral Intuitions? vulcanlogician 72 4065 November 7, 2021 at 1:25 pm
Last Post: Alan V
  Any Moral Relativists in the House? vulcanlogician 72 5042 June 21, 2021 at 9:09 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  [Serious] Moral Obligations toward Possible Worlds Neo-Scholastic 93 5889 May 23, 2021 at 1:43 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  A Moral Reality Acrobat 29 3367 September 12, 2019 at 8:09 pm
Last Post: brewer
  In Defense of a Non-Natural Moral Order Acrobat 84 7328 August 30, 2019 at 3:02 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Moral Oughts Acrobat 109 8074 August 30, 2019 at 4:24 am
Last Post: Acrobat