Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
By chance?
RE: By chance?
I could explain it to Yukon Jack, but I can't understand it for him Smile
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

(February 10, 2020 at 4:22 pm)zebo-the-fat Wrote: I could explain it to Yukon Jack, but I can't understand it for him  Smile

Oh he understands it. He merely avoids anything that might perhaps poke a hole in his faith. Living in constant fear is no way for anyone to live.
Quote:“It doesn't matter he will keep screaming NS is random and raving that because he thinks it unlikely it is.“
Can you read?
Yup it's just everything you say is so brain numbingly dumb it's guaranteed to be fallacious,false or foolish  

Quote: I said mutations are 100% random
False 

Quote:and you still think owls eyes were bound to happen no matter what.

Foolish and fallacious

Quote:Did both eyes appear at the same time do you think? Or did luck govern that the second one would appear in later generations?
fallacious

Quote:How gullible you are!
Says the guy who believes in invisible  sky wizards and embraces the biology equivalency of flat earthism    

So congrats you didn't disappoint
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

(February 10, 2020 at 1:20 pm)Yukon_Jack Wrote: “It doesn't matter he will keep screaming NS is random and raving that because he thinks it unlikely it is.“
Can you read? I said mutations are 100% random
and you still think owls eyes were bound to happen  no matter what.
Did both eyes appear at the same time do you think? Or did luck govern that the second one would appear in later generations?
How gullible you are!

A five year old child could explain why you’ve got this wrong.  Would you like me to send you a five year old child?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(February 10, 2020 at 7:39 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(February 10, 2020 at 1:20 pm)Yukon_Jack Wrote: “It doesn't matter he will keep screaming NS is random and raving that because he thinks it unlikely it is.“
Can you read? I said mutations are 100% random
and you still think owls eyes were bound to happen  no matter what.
Did both eyes appear at the same time do you think? Or did luck govern that the second one would appear in later generations?
How gullible you are!

A five year old child could explain why you’ve got this wrong.  Would you like me to send you a five year old child?

Boru

A thousand priests just sat up and paid attention...
Dying to live, living to die.
(February 10, 2020 at 7:50 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote:
(February 10, 2020 at 7:39 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: A five year old child could explain why you’ve got this wrong.  Would you like me to send you a five year old child?

Boru

A thousand priests just sat up and paid attention...

Perhaps the best one liner ever.
(February 10, 2020 at 1:20 pm)Yukon_Jack Wrote: Did both eyes appear at the same time do you think? Or did luck govern that the second one would appear in later generations?
How gullible you are!

Yeah, were there first horses with only one leg and then they evolved other three?

But kidding aside, that's called Bilateral symmetry. 99% of organisms are bilaterally symmetric

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symmetry_in_biology
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
As a consequence of cell division, no less. An even more fundamental aspect of life's shared biological inheritance.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
If 'owl eye' spots were inevitable, all butterflies would have them. The Owl Butterfly happened to get the spots, and they were retained and developed because they provided at least a slight reproductive advantage. If it hadn't gotten the spots, we wouldn't be calling it the Owl Butterfly, we'd call it something else.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(February 10, 2020 at 12:20 pm)Simon Moon Wrote:
(February 9, 2020 at 12:18 pm)Yukon_Jack Wrote: So someone here quoted
“The mutations may be random, the selection process is not. ”

Again, NS is wholly dependent upon 100% random mutations. Are you still denying this and calling me crazy? That’s rich

Random mutations are only a small part of natural selection. Mutations are a constant occurrence in each succeeding generation. You have 68 mutations that your parents did not have.

What drives natural selection, is the SELECTION process, which is not randfom.

Quote:NS can only keep traits caused by 100% randomness and I know “evolution “ occurs over time

No. Natural selection keeps traits because they are selected for because they instill a survival and reproductive advantage. The randomness of the mutation has nothing to do with why and how traits continue in populations.

Quote:But tell me you find it normal happenstance
That a perfect set of owls eyes will appear?
I keep bringing this up because I want to know the logistics of how you fall for this crazy lucky coincidences.

No luck involved.

Environmental pressures, put on populations, to select for traits that will instill a survival advantage, is not luck.

When humans bred wolves into dogs 10,000 years ago, was it luck that they picked the most social, and docile examples as their initial breeding stock? When they decided to breed early dogs into a dog that could hunt rabbits in holes, was it luck that they decided to pick dogs with unusually short legs (so they can more easily fit in hole) to breed into dachshunds?

The process in natural selection is no different than artificial selection. The only difference is the selection agent. Is it humans selecting for specific dog traits, or is it nature doing the selection for survival traits?

I actually did not include the importance of environmental pressures selecting against traits that are detrimental to survival.

Or, traits that have little or no survival advantages or disadvantages, being carried on, because they have no effect.

What he doesn't understand (at least one among many things), is that, eye like spots on some percentage of the population of butterflies wings could have existed for many, many generations previously, with no positive (or negative) effect on survival. Then, a new predator species could have been introduced into their environment, and now, those butterflies, with existing spots had a survival advantage. The predator would remove the butterflies with genes for no spots, and only the butterflies with spots would pass on their genetic material.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abiogenesis ("Chemical Evolution"): Did Life come from Non-Life by Pure Chance. Nishant Xavier 55 3107 August 6, 2023 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  The argument of "chance" xr34p3rx 86 16319 February 24, 2015 at 12:40 pm
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  A chance to do good without god Baalzebutt 8 3272 February 27, 2013 at 4:26 pm
Last Post: Baalzebutt
  Products of Chance Reasonable_Jeff 44 13602 September 26, 2012 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: Darkstar
  Logic of chance Ephrium 59 19986 August 27, 2009 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: Violet