Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:53 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
By chance?
RE: By chance?
Fun Fact:
Tater tot was in Space Balls, "he" played Major Asshole.
(February 17, 2020 at 2:23 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote:
(February 16, 2020 at 8:26 pm)Yukon_Jack Wrote: It's not remarkable that all the requirements of an existent creature are met, when we observe that the creature does, in fact, exist.

You forget it’s “unremarkable” that even the simplest of proteins to even come into existence  is so improbable that it’s deemed impossible. Quite cavalier of you to dismiss the requirements for a creature, one after another, like marbles in a bowl coming to a very certain rest at the bottom center.
It fits your narrative to base your existence on sheer luck of mutations

When you're talking about the 'simplest proteins arising by chance' you're talking about abiogenesis, not evolution. At any rate, no matter how the first protein formed, proteins are amino acid chains, amino acids naturally link into protein polymers, so simple proteins would have formed spontaneously in the conditions believed to have existed in the Hadean era. It's relatively simple organic chemistry (or at least relatively easy to synthesize), which existed before life did. Again, there were simple protein molecules before the first cell.
"there were simple protein molecules before the first cell."  Well, of course, some 7 billion people already knew that. Protein molecules, however, are still contingent realities.
Atheist Credo: An universe by chance that also just happened to admit the observer by chance.
Quote:"there were simple protein molecules before the first cell."  Well, of course, some 7 billion people already knew that. Protein molecules, however, are still contingent realities.
And more nonsense
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

(February 17, 2020 at 8:21 pm)no one Wrote: Fun Fact:
Tater tot was in Space Balls, "he" played Major Asshole.

" I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes!"
"Be Excellent To Each Other"
(February 17, 2020 at 11:31 pm)snowtracks Wrote:
(February 17, 2020 at 2:23 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: When you're talking about the 'simplest proteins arising by chance' you're talking about abiogenesis, not evolution. At any rate, no matter how the first protein formed, proteins are amino acid chains, amino acids naturally link into protein polymers, so simple proteins would have formed spontaneously in the conditions believed to have existed in the Hadean era. It's relatively simple organic chemistry (or at least relatively easy to synthesize), which existed before life did. Again, there were simple protein molecules before the first cell.
"there were simple protein molecules before the first cell."  Well, of course, some 7 billion people already knew that. Protein molecules, however, are still contingent realities.

Tell that to Yukon Jack. I never said or implied that proteins aren't contingent; YJ's complaint was that the simplest proteins are too complex to arise 'by chance', by which he means without conscious intervention by some designer.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
It's worth stressing that regardless of what a person believes about a god, or a gods intervention in biological processes, the above remains true. A concurrent fact of a world with a tinker god, or without one. The simplest proteins can and do form without the need of divine intervention. If a god decided to put it's thumb on a scale, fine, but it's not a requirement.

I can nudge a ball to the left or right, too - but it's still going to roll downhill...and no one needs to refer to me as the Grand Nudger to explain that.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(February 17, 2020 at 8:11 pm)arewethereyet Wrote:
(February 17, 2020 at 7:44 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: One of my cousins is an attorney admitted to present cases to the US Supreme Court. Another is retiring from NASA this year. There is little middle ground there.

Makes for an interesting intellectual bell curve in the family, doesn't it?

More of a bucket than a bell. Doh
(February 18, 2020 at 11:07 am)Gae Bolga Wrote: It's worth stressing that regardless of what a person believes about a god, or a gods intervention in biological processes, the above remains true.  A concurrent fact of a world with a tinker god, or without one.  The simplest proteins can and do form without the need of divine intervention.  If a god decided to put it's thumb on a scale, fine, but it's not a requirement.  

I can nudge a ball to the left or right, too - but it's still going to roll downhill...and no one needs to refer to me as the Grand Nudger to explain that.

If you grand nudger at some point had kicked the ball uphill, there would be plenty of evidence for that fact.
We'd certainly expect so, and that's just another problem with the Grand Nudger Hypothesis - but only if it insists that it must have been so. Self inflicted wounds, if you ask me.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(February 18, 2020 at 11:07 am)Gae Bolga Wrote: It's worth stressing that regardless of what a person believes about a god, or a gods intervention in biological processes, the above remains true.  A concurrent fact of a world with a tinker god, or without one.  The simplest proteins can and do form without the need of divine intervention.  If a god decided to put it's thumb on a scale, fine, but it's not a requirement.  

I think you should change your user name.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abiogenesis ("Chemical Evolution"): Did Life come from Non-Life by Pure Chance. Nishant Xavier 55 3100 August 6, 2023 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  The argument of "chance" xr34p3rx 86 16310 February 24, 2015 at 12:40 pm
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  A chance to do good without god Baalzebutt 8 3271 February 27, 2013 at 4:26 pm
Last Post: Baalzebutt
  Products of Chance Reasonable_Jeff 44 13600 September 26, 2012 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: Darkstar
  Logic of chance Ephrium 59 19984 August 27, 2009 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: Violet