Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 29, 2024, 8:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Telling children that they are going to hell is abusive?
RE: Telling children that they are going to hell is abusive?
I don't think so. Our buddy Comfort isn't likely to call islamic magic book or any hadith evidence that christer god is bullshit.

He knows better, he understands that he doesn't have evidence perfectly well. He's just a whining sack of dishonest shit, lol.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(February 7, 2020 at 11:25 am)Gae Bolga Wrote: I don't think so.  Our buddy Comfort isn't likely to call islamic magic book or any hadith evidence that christer god is bullshit.  

He knows better, he understands that he doesn't have evidence perfectly well.  He's just a whining sack of dishonest shit, lol.

You're wrong about me. I would say the Quran is evidence that the Christian bible is untrue. It says things about Jesus that contradicts what the NT says. It just happens to be very bad evidence, like a witness in court who is exposed as a liar.  

Now you keep saying I don't understand what evidence is. I use the word in the normal everyday sense. I've made it clear what I mean. So, you must be using the word evidence in some sort of eccentric way. Tell me what you mean by evidence and perhaps we can get off the roller coaster. Wikipedia will do:

[b]Evidence[/b], broadly construed, is anything presented in support of an assertion.[1] This support may be strong or weak. 

Clearly, on this definition the NT is evidence of the existence of hell. So is what Our Lady said at Fatima about hell. I'll repeat what I said before: by using the words 'no evidence' instead of 'evidence I don't accept' you don't have to actually give reasons or arguments for your point of view. And that's because internet atheists are a particularly uninformed and ignorant lot.

BTW, I don't trust your honesty and that you are giving a true account of this Platinga fellow's views. I know nothing about him but give me a source where you have become familiar with his views. I find it hard to believe you have actually read any of his books. You don't strike me as someone who reads books at all.
(February 7, 2020 at 11:25 am)Gae Bolga Wrote: I don't think so.  Our buddy Comfort isn't likely to call islamic magic book or any hadith evidence that christer god is bullshit.  

He knows better, he understands that he doesn't have evidence perfectly well.  He's just a whining sack of dishonest shit, lol.

You must be using the word 'evidence' in a an eccentric way. or more likely just being jerk. Wikipedia will do for such a simple word:

[b]Evidence[/b], broadly construed, is anything presented in support of an assertion.[1] This support may be strong or weak. 

Clearly, on this definition the NT is evidence of hell as is what Our Lady said at Fatima. Define how you use evidence please.

Thought I lost the first post.
(February 7, 2020 at 1:57 pm)ColdComfort Wrote:

You must be using the word 'evidence' in a an eccentric way. or more likely just being jerk. Wikipedia will do for such a simple word:

Clearly, on this definition the NT is evidence of hell as is what Our Lady said at Fatima. Define how you use evidence please.

It was mistakenly caught in the spam filter. Fixed it for you.

Boru
Same as you post it above. Something that supports an assertion.

How does the nt or fatima support your assertion of hell?

The platinga bit probably belongs in the platinga thread - but ofc you don't have to trust me, you can read his argument for yourself.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(February 7, 2020 at 2:12 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(February 7, 2020 at 1:57 pm)ColdComfort Wrote: You must be using the word 'evidence' in a an eccentric way. or more likely just being jerk. Wikipedia will do for such a simple word:

It was mistakenly caught in the spam filter. Fixed it for you.

Boru

Thanks

(February 7, 2020 at 2:12 pm)Gae Bolga Wrote: Same as you post it above.  Something that supports an assertion.

The platinga bit probably belongs in the platinga thread - but ofc you don't have to trust me, you can read his argument for yourself.

Why won't you give me a source for your information on this writer? Embarrassed about something? You haven't read a single word by him have you? 

As for the other subject, you are going to have to explain to me why the NT and the words of Our Lady are not evidence of hell. You need to give me reasons not mere assertions. Bet you can't.   
(February 7, 2020 at 9:51 am)ColdComfort Wrote: It also reminds me that atheists are a particularly irrational bunch. My guess is very few atheists have ever looked at the evidence from Fatima.

Actually atheists looked into Marian appearances and found it to be very irrational

teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(February 7, 2020 at 2:35 pm)ColdComfort Wrote:
(February 7, 2020 at 2:12 pm)Gae Bolga Wrote: Same as you post it above.  Something that supports an assertion.

Why won't you give me a source for your information on this writer? Embarrassed about something? You haven't read a single word by him have you? 

We have this policy about not stomping all over threads with other threads.  The conversation continues in thread.  You can return to it anytime you like.  

Quote:As for the other subject, you are going to have to explain to me why the NT and the words of Our Lady are not evidence of hell. You need to give me reasons not mere assertions. Bet you can't.   
No, lol, I'm not.  You claim that they are evidence.  I don't know how they would be, or even could be.  So I'm asking you.  The person who says that they are.  

Jesus christ, how difficult can this be?  In what way does the nt or fatima support the assertion that hell exists?
(February 7, 2020 at 3:31 pm)Fake Messiah Wrote:
(February 7, 2020 at 9:51 am)ColdComfort Wrote: It also reminds me that atheists are a particularly irrational bunch. My guess is very few atheists have ever looked at the evidence from Fatima.

Actually atheists looked into Marian appearances and found it to be very irrational

Ha. Dawkins uses the words 'no evidence' too. What he means is evidence he does not accept. Then he just makes the assertion that these people would have gotten better anyway. How does he know? He doesn't of course. In fairness to Dawkins, you are not going to deal adequately with the evidence of Marian appearances in a short youtube video. The Church takes years to investigate and in the case of medical cures relies on the expertise of doctors both Christian and non-believers. On the other hand an honest man would have said I haven't looked at the medical evidence with the assistance of experts. But Dawkins is not an honest man.

I call him dishonest, and not merely ignorant , for good reason. In the God Delusion he said some things about the demonstrations of the existence of God given by St. Thomas. I read the book at the time and even a layman like myself could tell he didn't anything about those arguments. I am quite he never actually read them let alone took the time to understand them. He was heavily criticized in reviews for this by Christian and non-Christian philosophers. And yet after all this time he has never retracted his errors. That's dishonest.

The stuff about no limbs being regenerated is really bad logic and gives us a glimpse of where he gets his arguments.  If I show you the MRI of a person with advanced cancer with tumours all through his body. He prays at Lourdes for a cure and the next day an MRI shows he is cancer free who in heaven's name is going to say " well show me an arm that grew back". A clever man who is also a complete fool.

BTW, is youtube your main source of information? Hope not.
(February 7, 2020 at 4:18 pm)ColdComfort Wrote: Ha. Dawkins uses the words 'no evidence' too.

That's called logic and common sense: millions of sick people and only 66 supposed healings is no evidence for a miracle.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is going to happen when Jesus returns? Fake Messiah 21 2377 March 19, 2023 at 12:00 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  7th grader commits suicide after being told that he is going to Hell. Jehanne 12 1573 December 9, 2021 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Religious groups in UK failing children over sex abuse zebo-the-fat 1 1146 September 2, 2021 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  They're going to be chanting to the wrong God. brewer 32 2890 March 17, 2021 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  If you knew for certain that you were going to Hell zwanzig 32 3162 March 9, 2021 at 8:48 pm
Last Post: Ryantology
  Church of England 'failed to protect children from sexual abusers' zebo-the-fat 25 2093 October 8, 2020 at 7:11 pm
Last Post: no one
  Catholic priests jailed for abusing deaf children zebo-the-fat 14 2618 November 26, 2019 at 8:12 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  The ECLIPSE! It's going to be a sign from GAWD! drfuzzy 148 34460 January 5, 2018 at 2:02 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Do Christian Parents Abuse their Children? Bow Before Zeus 177 28329 November 29, 2017 at 12:33 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  Nice Going, "God." Minimalist 65 17720 October 13, 2017 at 10:59 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet