Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 8, 2024, 2:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Agnosticism IS the most dishonest position
RE: Agnosticism IS the most dishonest position
(March 2, 2020 at 5:41 pm)Klorophyll Wrote:
(March 2, 2020 at 4:37 pm)Belacqua Wrote: It's clear from the amount of content-free snark on this forum: many people are here simply to show disrespect. It's what they like to do.

That's absolutely true. I thank God there is a day of judgement. I thank God that one day everyone will account for every sentence that came out of his mouth, especially any dismissal of good arguments by babble and noise. I thank God my efforts won't go in vain because these children decided it's time to shout.

So, you are actually looking forward to billions of your fellow humans being tortured for eternity for thought crimes?

Belacqua, please try to see why we are so vocal against religions. Klorophill has completely lost his moral compass, completely due to his religion.

Quote:It's understandable why people like Hawking proudly declare that "there is no god" and gladly woke up in the morning full of hope, even desire to spread their stupid ideas about religions, Hawking had a fulfilling academic life that somehow silenced his crying inherent tendency to belief, he also had the most stupid opinion about god ever, and this discrepancy is amazing : world class scientists are prepared to babble nonsensical shit when it comes to god and theology. They replace this innate sense towards awe/belief with their advocacy for its opposite, combined with some social status and a sense of "not needing god", it's a simple psychological trick that sadly works. But when it comes to some of these fools here, they obviously can't follow a train of thought without barking, or handle discussing historical figures completely outside of their local legal system, if there is any, yet face any theist with this mocking attitude, like they're in some kind of cleverness challenge or something. That's the kind of attitude that makes a human being deserve hell.

I recall when no one will even admit there are interesting definitions of God and uninteresting ones, they hate the fact that thinking unbiasedly about definitions leads to forced results like God absolutely not existing or having already revealed himself. For them, all theology is red herring, simply because their christianity turned out to be red herring, and they see no problem in generalizing their childhood trauma to all religions.

Hawking NEVER made the claim that "there is not god", What he said is, there was no need for a god to account for the origin of the universe.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
(March 2, 2020 at 5:49 pm)Simon Moon Wrote: So, you are actually looking forward to billions of your fellow humans being tortured for eternity for thought crimes?

Belacqua, please try to see why we are so vocal against religions. Klorophill has completely lost his moral compass, completely due to his religion.

That's assuming you people have any moral compass whatsoever to begin with. Your fellow thought criminals had trouble elsewhere figuring out why senseless murder is immoral but killing millions of bacteria mercilessly when you shower is not. Go and read an argument or two against the existence of your morality.
And being vocal won't help you here.
(March 2, 2020 at 5:40 pm)Rahn127 Wrote: Your definitions of a god are hollow and empty and meaningless because you can't give a definition until you demonstrate that the the thing you are defining actually exists in the first place.

No, this isn't true.

As Peebo pointed out yesterday, we can have clear definitions of things that don't exist. These definitions have meanings. 

Once we are given a clear definition, we can check against logic and evidence and think about whether the defined thing makes sense or not.
(March 2, 2020 at 5:49 pm)Simon Moon Wrote: Hawking NEVER made the claim that "there is not god", What he said is, there was no need for a god to account for the origin of the universe.

You're lying, dear friend.

https://www.livescience.com/63854-stephe...o-god.html

Quote :

Hawking wrote. "For me this means that there is no possibility of a creator, because there is no time for a creator to have existed in."

He excluded any possibility of a god. It's exactly what "there is no god" means.

Repeat with me, atheists : Hawking said retarded, nonsensical shit about god.
(March 2, 2020 at 5:58 pm)Klorophyll Wrote:
(March 2, 2020 at 5:49 pm)Simon Moon Wrote: So, you are actually looking forward to billions of your fellow humans being tortured for eternity for thought crimes?

That's assuming you people have any moral compass whatsoever to begin with. Your fellow thought criminals had trouble elsewhere figuring out why senseless murder is immoral but killing millions of bacteria mercilessly when you shower is not. Go and read an argument or two against the existence of your morality.

I have a perfectly rational basis for my morality, based on the objective facts of the universe, and the goal of well being.

I can also explain why killing another human is immoral, yet killing millions of bacteria is not.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
(March 2, 2020 at 5:41 pm)Klorophyll Wrote:
(March 2, 2020 at 4:37 pm)Belacqua Wrote: It's clear from the amount of content-free snark on this forum: many people are here simply to show disrespect. It's what they like to do.

That's absolutely true. I thank God there is a day of judgement. I thank God that one day everyone will account for every sentence that came out of his mouth, especially any dismissal of good arguments by babble and noise. I thank God my efforts won't go in vain because these children decided it's time to shout.

It's understandable why people like Hawking proudly declare that "there is no god" and gladly woke up in the morning full of hope, even desire to spread their stupid ideas about religions, Hawking had a fulfilling academic life that somehow silenced his crying inherent tendency to belief, he also had the most stupid opinion about god ever, and this discrepancy is amazing : world class scientists are prepared to babble nonsensical shit when it comes to god and theology. They replace this innate sense towards awe/belief with their advocacy for its opposite, combined with some social status and a sense of "not needing god", it's a simple psychological trick that sadly works. But when it comes to some of these fools here, they obviously can't follow a train of thought without barking, or handle discussing historical figures completely outside of their local legal system, if there is any, yet face any theist with this mocking attitude, like they're in some kind of cleverness challenge or something. That's the kind of attitude that makes a human being deserve hell.

I recall when no one will even admit there are interesting definitions of God and uninteresting ones, they hate the fact that thinking unbiasedly about definitions leads to forced results like God absolutely not existing or having already revealed himself. For them, all theology is red herring, simply because their christianity turned out to be red herring, and they see no problem in generalizing their childhood trauma to all religions.

The first ten years I lived in Japan I went everywhere by bicycle, because the city is compact and a good size. The city I'm in, however, is notorious for aggressive and inconsiderate drivers, and eventually I had to give up. It's dangerous, but more disturbing for my peace of mind was the fact that I was getting really angry at people. 

It seemed to me that it was easy to identify people who, in my personal judgment, deserved to be scolded. But once I picked out who I could get angry at I was in danger of going overboard. All the anger I had pent up about other things found an outlet in the inconsiderate drivers. 

My guess is that something similar is going on here. If people want to demonstrate the falseness of religion or persuade people to change their minds, they wouldn't type what they do. If they are in any way trying to make the world a better place, they would go about things differently. It seems more likely that they choose you and other people with differing metaphysical beliefs as targets for their negative feelings, just because they want targets. 

Part of the problem is the whole New Atheist thing. Dawkins and Hitchens and those guys began with the a priori belief that theology must be so stupid that you don't have to know anything about it to criticize it. They were not bothered by the fact that their books contain numerous factual errors, and neither were their fans. We're well into the second generation of such thinking by now. 

So there's a disconnect between people who want to exchange reasons and talk about things, and people who feel it's fine just to vent.
(March 2, 2020 at 6:04 pm)Klorophyll Wrote:
(March 2, 2020 at 5:49 pm)Simon Moon Wrote: Hawking NEVER made the claim that "there is not god", What he said is, there was no need for a god to account for the origin of the universe.

Quote :

Hawking wrote. "For me this means that there is no possibility of a creator, because there is no time for a creator to have existed in."

He excluded any possibility of a god. It's exactly what "there is no god" means.

While it is true, that this is a stronger statement than I have previously read by Hawking, he is not making a scientific claim. You do notice the phrase "for me", right? He is stating an opinion based on his scientific knowledge.

And no, he is not making "retarded, nonsensical shit about god", his position is based on the lack of: demonstrable evidence, reasoned argument, and, valid and sound logic to support the claim a god exists.

Your god claims are based on: ancient texts, indoctrination, flawed arguments.

(March 2, 2020 at 6:04 pm)Klorophyll Wrote:

Quote :

Hawking says in the same book that philosophy has no more role in the world. When that book came out I was in the middle of a long and fascinating on-line discussion with a PhD philosophy student at the University of Chicago. I wish I had saved his impromptu rebuttal of Hawking's foolishness. People really shouldn't talk about things they have never studied.

(March 2, 2020 at 6:17 pm)Simon Moon Wrote: his position is based on the lack of: demonstrable evidence, reasoned argument, and, valid and sound logic to support the claim a god exists.

Also a total ignorance of what philosophy does.
(March 2, 2020 at 6:11 pm)Simon Moon Wrote:
(March 2, 2020 at 5:58 pm)Klorophyll Wrote: That's assuming you people have any moral compass whatsoever to begin with. Your fellow thought criminals had trouble elsewhere figuring out why senseless murder is immoral but killing millions of bacteria mercilessly when you shower is not. Go and read an argument or two against the existence of your morality.

I have a perfectly rational basis for my morality, based on the objective facts of the universe, and the goal of well being.

I can also explain why killing another human is immoral, yet killing millions of bacteria is not.
It's his morality that can't justify morality of any kind

Quote:Hawking says in the same book that philosophy has no more role in the world. When that book came out I was in the middle of a long and fascinating on-line discussion with a PhD philosophy student at the University of Chicago. I wish I had saved his impromptu rebuttal of Hawking's foolishness. People really shouldn't talk about things they have never studied.
And people who don't know what people have studied shouldn't talk about them  

Quote:Also a total ignorance of what philosophy does.
Nope a fine understanding simply a conclusion you don't like

(March 2, 2020 at 6:17 pm)Simon Moon Wrote:
(March 2, 2020 at 6:04 pm)Klorophyll Wrote: You're lying, dear friend.

Quote :

While it is true, that this is a stronger statement than I have previously read by Hawking, he is not making a scientific claim. You do notice the phrase "for me", right? He is stating an opinion based on his scientific knowledge.

And no, he is not making "retarded, nonsensical shit about god", his position is based on the lack of: demonstrable evidence, reasoned argument, and, valid and sound logic to support the claim a god exists.

Your god claims are based on: ancient texts, indoctrination, flawed arguments.
Apparently Belacqua he all knowing thinks your ignorant and one of he greatest minds of our age who accomplished more in one decade then both these apologist morons combined  is a fool
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

(March 2, 2020 at 6:16 pm)Belacqua Wrote: I recall when no one will even admit there are interesting definitions of God and uninteresting ones, they hate the fact that thinking unbiasedly about definitions leads to forced results like God absolutely not existing or having already revealed himself. For them, all theology is red herring, simply because their christianity turned out to be red herring, and they see no problem in generalizing their childhood trauma to all religions.

The first ten years I lived in Japan I went everywhere by bicycle, because the city is compact and a good size. The city I'm in, however, is notorious for aggressive and inconsiderate drivers, and eventually I had to give up. It's dangerous, but more disturbing for my peace of mind was the fact that I was getting really angry at people. 

It seemed to me that it was easy to identify people who, in my personal judgment, deserved to be scolded. But once I picked out who I could get angry at I was in danger of going overboard. All the anger I had pent up about other things found an outlet in the inconsiderate drivers. 

My guess is that something similar is going on here. If people want to demonstrate the falseness of religion or persuade people to change their minds, they wouldn't type what they do. If they are in any way trying to make the world a better place, they would go about things differently. It seems more likely that they choose you and other people with differing metaphysical beliefs as targets for their negative feelings, just because they want targets. 

WOW!

Of all things, I really thought that you understood where the burden of proof lies.

Quote:Part of the problem is the whole New Atheist thing. Dawkins and Hitchens and those guys began with the a priori belief that theology must be so stupid that you don't have to know anything about it to criticize it. They were not bothered by the fact that their books contain numerous factual errors, and neither were their fans. We're well into the second generation of such thinking by now.

Dawkins was a theist until he was about 16. Hitchens, I'm not sure about.

But, even so, you are wrong on another level.

It doesn't matter if Dawkins' and Hitchens' books contained theological errors. There is no reason to worry about theological errors, until such a time when the existence of a god or gods has been demonstrate. Once that is done, then one can start to debate which theology best describes said god. Your criticism is sort of putting the cart before the horse.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Agnosticism LinuxGal 5 876 January 2, 2023 at 8:29 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Atheism, theism, agnosticism, gnosticism, ignosticism Simon Moon 25 2107 October 29, 2022 at 4:49 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Two Undeniable Truths Why Theism is True and Atheism and Agnosticism are Not True HiYou 49 12336 July 21, 2015 at 6:59 am
Last Post: KUSA
  Enlightened [Elitist] Agnosticism Dystopia 92 9904 March 3, 2015 at 11:48 am
Last Post: robvalue
  In need of a more humbleness. Why condemning the Theistic position makes no sense. Mystic 141 24145 September 22, 2014 at 7:59 am
Last Post: Chas
  Question about atheism related with gnosticism and agnosticism Dystopia 4 2130 July 10, 2014 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Implications of the Atheistic Position FallentoReason 33 11473 September 2, 2012 at 9:42 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Atheism vs. Agnosticism EscapingDelusion 9 5489 August 28, 2012 at 2:25 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  Both groups feel the other side is dishonest? Mystic 27 10920 July 18, 2012 at 6:43 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Why Agnosticism? diffidus 69 27095 July 1, 2011 at 9:07 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger