Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 11:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Implications of the Atheistic Position
Implications of the Atheistic Position
I have come so far, thought I was so strong
The truth is I've just fed myself a lie for too long
I never thought this would be me

My favourite Christian band, Memphis May Fire, always reminds me of how life functions. The truth is that the lie we believe is that things will be alright when in actual fact it's up to you to decide how it's going to end. It almost works like a formula of conservation of mass when it comes to effort and reward; you will only ever get out what you've put in.

Today I've been reminded of this. Whenever we fall the only thing that can be done is to get back up, brush off the dust and give it another shot. That thing that you're after isn't going to land in your hands out of luck. It's going to take hard work and that hard work will show your circumstances that you deserve what you're after.

So I've been rejected by a girl. Now I know I have to work towards improving myself and showing why I deserve her. This to me seems like the logical approach as opposed to believing that superstition will change the circumstances, because what my life turns out like is in my hands.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
RE: Implications of the Atheistic Position
(July 30, 2012 at 8:47 am)FallentoReason Wrote: So I've been rejected by a girl. Now I know I have to work towards improving myself and showing why I deserve her.

Not to be a downer, but this isn't a RomCom or TV show. People generally don't do an about face after they've rejected someone romantically.

Your best bet is to move on.
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
Well, self-improvement is never bad, but I would be wary of doing so merely to justify your existence and worthiness to a prospective "beau". If it is meant to be, usually means neither you nor she having to prove worthy.

I don't mean to be blunt or cruel when you're reeling from rejection of some kind, but seriously, you seem like a smart person. If you are rejected on the basis of some manner which you are "unworthy", rather than personality and natural attraction, your efforts would probably be better spent moving on and finding someone who accepts you for who you are, rather than who you think you should be.

[/end agonyauntresponse]
Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it. ― Kel, Kelosophy Blog

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school. They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The f**king janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history every mystery. Ever solved has turned out to be. Not Magic.
― Tim Minchin, Storm
The way I see it is that the girl will protest about the modern day guy being a dick and how they deserve better than that. I believe I qualify as 'the nice guy' but before you know it the girl has gone with that muscly guy. I call bullcrap on her and only get reminded of evolution.

Basically, it's of no surprise what it takes to grab a girl's attention. Sure, being a genuine nice guy can go a long way but I think that's a pretty niche area that evolution isn't based upon. I believe anyone will be swayed by looks because we've been wired that way.

This wasn't exactly the point I was trying to make in the OP. It kind of got that vibe because of the events of today, but generally I believe most things are possible if we put in the time and effort.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
Firstly, you don't seem to know much about dating. It takes work-and part of that work is dealing with disappointment.

Secondly, what the fuck does this have to do with atheism? Did she shoot you down because you are a skinny, less attractive (to her) male or because you are an atheist?
Trying to update my sig ...
(July 30, 2012 at 9:29 am)Epimethean Wrote: Firstly, you don't seem to know much about dating. It takes work-and part of that work is dealing with disappointment.

Secondly, what the fuck does this have to do with atheism? Did she shoot you down because you are a skinny, less attractive (to her) male or because you are an atheist?

Atheism is what Theism is not; a non-belief in a deity. That means I do not believe superstition will help my situation. Instead, I have to do something in order to achieve what I want to achieve.

How would you have to know something about dating prior to being in a relationship? Attraction to someone doesn't depend on those skills. And yes I know disappointment is something you have to deal with hence why I said you have to get up after you fall.
(July 30, 2012 at 9:35 am)FallentoReason Wrote: Attraction to someone doesn't depend on those skills. And yes I know disappointment is something you have to deal with hence why I said you have to get up after you fall.

If you run into a wall, the solution is not to get up and run into it again. You move forward, not stuck in the same place with a bleeding forehead after repeatedly bashing your head against it.

You're more likely to get a restraining order than a date I suspect Tongue (joking joking!)
Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it. ― Kel, Kelosophy Blog

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school. They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The f**king janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history every mystery. Ever solved has turned out to be. Not Magic.
― Tim Minchin, Storm
(July 30, 2012 at 9:44 am)NoMoreFaith Wrote:
(July 30, 2012 at 9:35 am)FallentoReason Wrote: Attraction to someone doesn't depend on those skills. And yes I know disappointment is something you have to deal with hence why I said you have to get up after you fall.

If you run into a wall, the solution is not to get up and run into it again. You move forward, not stuck in the same place with a bleeding forehead after repeatedly bashing your head against it.

You're more likely to get a restraining order than a date I suspect Tongue (joking joking!)

Hah, when I say try again I don't mean ask her out the next day and keep persisting like that ad infinitum. Obviously the answer most likely won't change. This doesn't mean the answer will be the same for as long as we live. I know of married couples where the guy liked her to-be-wife for as long as 5 years and the answer was always the same during that time.
Wow, it sounds like she's just not that into you. That most likely won't change for whatever reason. Think of it like a grocery store and you are a product; let's say you are a kiwi and she doesn't like kiwis. It doesn't mean there is anything lacking in you. It just means that she doesn't like kiwi's.
Atheism seems to have no bearing here. You are acting as deluded as a theist by continuing to think you will get the girl despite all evidence to the contrary.
Trying to update my sig ...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A question about atheistic “beliefs” (opinions, guesses, etc.) Frank Apisa 252 14836 June 30, 2021 at 6:51 pm
Last Post: Rahn127
  Agnosticism IS the most dishonest position R00tKiT 575 36978 March 18, 2020 at 9:24 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Atheistic calendar Interaktive 38 3371 December 26, 2019 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Make up your own atheistic quote Transcended Dimensions 56 9501 October 30, 2017 at 9:04 am
Last Post: brewer
  Could Gods hypothetically be atheistic scientists? causal code 5 2586 August 24, 2017 at 12:17 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Atheistic religions Der/die AtheistIn 21 6671 August 10, 2017 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  Why Anarcho-Capitalism Is a Canard and Its Implications for Atheism log 110 12225 January 19, 2017 at 11:26 pm
Last Post: TheRealJoeFish
  The second most atheistic group in the world is... Gawdzilla Sama 15 3500 December 2, 2016 at 3:19 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  In need of a more humbleness. Why condemning the Theistic position makes no sense. Mystic 141 23680 September 22, 2014 at 7:59 am
Last Post: Chas
  Atheistic Dogma- Scientific Fundamentalism sswhateverlove 315 44157 September 20, 2014 at 3:49 pm
Last Post: Whateverist